Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Even after the loss I am convinced Gradkowski will be the starting QB next year « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#45 : October 30, 2006, 12:44:12 PM

If Gradkowski does not improve to 60% competion or greater by the end of the season then he very likely will not improve on his accuracy in the long run.  Yesterday his short balls were actually worse than the long ones  The sample size is way too small to know the answer at this point.

So far his TD/INT ration is spectacular for a rookie.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#46 : October 30, 2006, 12:45:13 PM

We all agree that rookie QB's do not come in and have instant success. No one thinks that to be the case. But, just because both Gradkowski and McNabb struggles in their rookie years does not mean they are destined to have the same career. Sometimes a guy struggles because he stinks.

But, you still have to see something that suggest that the player has the ability to build your team around. This is a QB's league, and Gruden's offense is most certainly a QB's offense. If any team, especially the Bucs makes a mistake on selecting their QB AND they don't have a viable (Rattay, McNown) plan B, then they are doomed.

Gradkowski is a rookie 6th round pick who is playing exactly like a rookie 6th round pick who has no business starting in this league, certainly not as a rookie. Now, that does not mean that I think he should never see the field again. He is what he is, a back up caliber player. No more, no less. He may be the kind of player who develops with a few years holding the clip board, but he doesn't have the natural talents to win on his own like guys like Elway, McNabb, and Manning, who also struggled their rookie years.

This season is lost, so we might as well play him. But, can anyone honestly say they are comfortable going into 2007 with him as the undisbuted starting QB off what we have seen?

I feel the exact same way, exactly, well put!

Baghead #2

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#47 : October 30, 2006, 12:49:36 PM

I do not think the Bucs should select a QB in the first round.  They have way too many other holes.

But, if Troy Smith is there with our second #2, then I would take him.  He is an excellent athlete with a very strong, accurate arm, and Fran Tarkenton escape ability in the pocket.  He is short, and he is just learning the passing game, so those are real negatives.  Also, he has outstanding recievers to throw to, so he doesn't have to thread the needle as much as he would in the Pros.  He has a ton of talent around him, and he is extremely well coached, so some of his negatives are negated in games.  

If he falls to us in late round 2 fine, if not I wouldn't reach for him.  FYI, I live in OH, and am an OSU fan.  

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#48 : October 30, 2006, 12:52:28 PM

Troy will fall on draft day becuase the lack of height will hurt him.  It happened to Grads and it will most likely happen to Troy Smith.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#49 : October 30, 2006, 02:59:02 PM

For those who've never coached before, they have no idea how important timing is in getting a QB more adept at getting the ball further downfield.

Take a guy like Donovan McNabb, who is in a similar system. When he entered the league his first season he played in 12 games and started six of them. His average yards per pass attempt was 4.39 and his average per completion was 8.9. Today, he's at 8.35 yards per attempt and 14.3 yards per completion. Grads right now is at 4.34 yards per attempt and 8.4 yards per completion.

boredomkills01

Pro Bowler

#50 : October 30, 2006, 02:53:00 PM

everyone who is trying to bash Grads... Keep in mind, this is a rookie....

.......No... seriously... he is a rookie!

$$$

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#51 : October 30, 2006, 02:04:26 PM

We all agree that rookie QB's do not come in and have instant success.  No one thinks that to be the case.  But, just because both Gradkowski and McNabb struggles in their rookie years does not mean they are destined to have the same career.  Sometimes a guy struggles because he stinks.

No, and the fact that he plays well might just mean he's Charlie Batch too. There's nothing about the rookie year that will tell you much of anything. Saying he can't play or that he's gonna be "the man" right now is both wildly premature and really based on nothing you can support.

Amen.

We have to trust the coaches and give Grads the rest of the season before he is declared a boom or bust.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#52 : October 30, 2006, 03:05:29 PM

We all agree that rookie QB's do not come in and have instant success. No one thinks that to be the case. But, just because both Gradkowski and McNabb struggles in their rookie years does not mean they are destined to have the same career. Sometimes a guy struggles because he stinks.

No, and the fact that he plays well might just mean he's Charlie Batch too. There's nothing about the rookie year that will tell you much of anything. Saying he can't play or that he's gonna be "the man" right now is both wildly premature and really based on nothing you can support.

At least if he is playing well, you can at least make finding a QB less of a priority.  Gradkowski playing as poorly as he has means that is one more position we have to take seriously in the offseason.

Batch regressed as did King.  But, most guys played better as they got older...IF they had any talent and feel for the game at all.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Even after the loss I am convinced Gradkowski will be the starting QB next year « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools