Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A Few Props for the D « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: October 30, 2006, 08:21:24 AM

While many are here getting their nut on bashing the offense, how about some props to the D??

They held a good offense to 250 or so total yards and shut down one of the premeir RB's in the NFL.

After the 500+ yard disgrace a week ago, I think some kudos are in order.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 30, 2006, 08:23:31 AM

Hell yes, especially with the ridiculous Field position the Giants had for most of the first half. I thought the D stuffed the running game pretty well and the d-line played lights out.

Devil's advocate can say that the low yardage from the Giants was because of the great Field position and the weather helped the D out but, I'm not the devil........

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 30, 2006, 08:26:29 AM

A lot of rough edges on D but overall they played a very good game.  This time they did it the entire game unlike last week against the Eagles. Wyms has been amazing so far as he is really stepping up to the plate.  I believe has had at least one sack in the three games he has started and White shows he can bring the heat too.

#3 : October 30, 2006, 08:28:05 AM

That's why I called for Booger Mac's head long ago.  The Bucs had more than adequate options sitting on the bench the whole time.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#4 : October 30, 2006, 08:29:48 AM

Hovan looked great yesterday, as good as he played last year.  I think the big upgrade at UT with Wymms is helping him a lot. 

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#5 : October 30, 2006, 08:30:02 AM

They played good but failed to get a turnover. They were close though. I really thought Rice recovered that fumble after he stripped Eli...I guess Eli outfought him for it...damn shame...and Bradley almost had an INT from a tipped pass.... We just couldn't get any of the bounces to go our way this week.

It just goes to show how important TOs are. Last week they allow over 500 yds of offense, but get 4 TOs and win. This week they hold the #2 offense to under 300 yds but get zero turnovers and lose.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 30, 2006, 08:41:38 AM

That's not what I was insinuating bro...but it is a problem for this offense.  The minor miscues on ST yesterday were huge in the down and distance portion of the game...  Thank God for Ike Hilliard.  You talk about hidden yardage that could have been even worst on us if that guy wasn't so fearless...I know people don't think Ike is all of that.  But what a way for a veteran to quietly step up and give a solid contribution on ST.  I'll say this, be nice to clip Jones, keep Ike back there on punts and add another tackle or DE on the active roster...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#7 : October 30, 2006, 08:33:40 AM

You aren't gonna get turnovers every game and cannot rely on them.  The lack of TO's does not diminish yesterday's effort.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 30, 2006, 08:33:55 AM

I agree.  The defense definitely looked better yesterday.  It lacked Barber's heroics from the previous week, but you just can't expect that week in and week out.  Some weeks, the offense is just going to have to step up to the plate.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 30, 2006, 08:35:07 AM

The defense played well yesterday, but to climb out of this hole, we need more.  I know that sounds greedy and unfair and selfish.  But it's the truth.  They have to give these guys better field position.  We lost the down and distance game yesterday and played on our end of the field most of the first half.  In a game like that with field position and direction at a premium we only had the first and the third qtr to mount a passing attack.  We tried and we missed on the opportunities we had...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#10 : October 30, 2006, 08:37:22 AM

I'm not convinced that the poor field position in the 1st half lays at the feet of our defense tho.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 30, 2006, 08:39:25 AM

I'm not convinced that the poor field position in the 1st half lays at the feet of our defense tho.

Yeah it cuts both ways.  The offense has to move the ball and convert a first down to improve field position.  And special teams was not doing much in the return game to improve field positon either early on.  Only later in the game when the offense started to move the ball and special teams was actually generating yards you saw improved field position. 

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#12 : October 30, 2006, 08:40:05 AM

Props for the D-- Noiw if this team could just get on the same page for one full game. Just imagine if the O, D, and ST's can put one game together

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#13 : October 30, 2006, 08:43:20 AM

The defense played well yesterday, but to climb out of this hole, we need more.  I know that sounds greedy and unfair and selfish.  But it's the truth.  They have to give these guys better field position.  We lost the down and distance game yesterday and played on our end of the field most of the first half.  In a game like that with field position and direction at a premium we only had the first and the third qtr to mount a passing attack.  We tried and we missed on the opportunities we had...

Well said.... While you can't put a ton of blame on the defense from yesterday, they failed to deliver the big splash play or turnover that was needed. This defense has made it's living off those kind a plays and they just haven't made enough this year. They are the veteran group, they're used to carrying this team. I'm with you Chev , and maybe it is greedy, but this team has always been about defense, if they are to win any more games the defense will have to rise to the occasion

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 30, 2006, 08:44:15 AM

Ike made good decisions with the punt returns in yesterdays game.  He knew when to back off and not touch the ball and when to aggressively go after it.  I think having a "little" experience playing there helped him.

And the same can be said of Bryant as he went in and made a field goal given the conditions.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A Few Props for the D « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools