Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glazers Get props in the UK « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« : May 07, 2007, 01:19:52 PM »

Somehow we need to devise a way to have one of the soccer/football teams play the Philly Eagles in some sort of contest. Put the soccer fans on one side and the Eagles fans on the other and see what happens! Now that is something I would pay to see.  :D

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #1 : May 07, 2007, 12:11:30 PM »

I found the clip on YouTube.  That is an exaggeration but on game days you tend to stay away from pubs taken over by opposing fans. 

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 07, 2007, 12:01:05 PM »

Hey MJS, I meant to ask you when we were talking at the draft party if you've ever seen the movie "Euro Trip." Happened to catch it on pay-per-view a while back. There's a scene where the two stars get caught up in an English pub that's the headquarters for Man U fans. I'm telling you, I've never laughed so hard in a long time. Wondered if that's how soccer/football fans really act over there.

I haven’t seen the movie, what happened.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #3 : May 07, 2007, 11:58:10 AM »

Hey MJS, I meant to ask you when we were talking at the draft party if you've ever seen the movie "Euro Trip." Happened to catch it on pay-per-view a while back. There's a scene where the two stars get caught up in an English pub that's the headquarters for Man U fans. I'm telling you, I've never laughed so hard in a long time. Wondered if that's how soccer/football fans really act over there.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 07, 2007, 09:37:37 AM »

All that crying, **CENSORED**ing, whining and moaning from Manchester United fans seems to have been without merit.   I wonder if they will admit they were wrong.

The small minority that protested are hardcore and don’t like the club being owned by anyone, especially an American.   The Glazer take over was, and still is, a very suspect purchase in terms of financing.  They didn’t buy Man United with their money, it is 85%-90% financed.  That is a very risky plan with a sports club like Man United because revenues can be greatly affected by success on the field. 

In the past the profits were filtered into dividends, but that was at the discretion of the directors.  Now the profits are financing the huge loans the Glazers have burdened the club with.  If they hit a few bad years of form it could potentially push them into receivership, so I can understand the distrust and hatred for the Glazers.

I would have preferred it if Man United was bought with cash and de-listed, then they could truly leverage its on field revenue.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 07, 2007, 09:22:17 AM »

Not a chance!

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 07, 2007, 09:13:13 AM »

All that crying, **CENSORED**ing, whining and moaning from Manchester United fans seems to have been without merit.   I wonder if they will admit they were wrong.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #7 : May 07, 2007, 09:03:58 AM »

Glazers aided title push

Manchester United chief executive David Gill believes the Glazer family's Old Trafford takeover helped the club to clinch another Premiership title.
The Glazers took control in the summer of 2005 and Gill told BBC Five Live: "Their ownership has brought stability and we are all benefiting from that.

"They have got involved in areas where they feel they can add value.

"But in other, football, areas they have allowed manager Sir Alex Ferguson and others to get on with it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6631591.stm

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #8 : May 08, 2007, 09:05:23 AM »

I could see MJS as a hooligan back in the day....

LOL   ;D

I went to away games between the ages of 15 and 19, so I was too young to be a hardcore hooligan.  I did get involved in a few incidents but that wasn’t planned.   I actually went to the World Cup in Spain when I was 16, with a friend who was 17, and there was plenty of violence there.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #9 : May 07, 2007, 01:42:03 PM »

Somehow we need to devise a way to have one of the soccer/football teams play the Philly Eagles in some sort of contest. Put the soccer fans on one side and the Eagles fans on the other and see what happens! Now that is something I would pay to see. :D

That would be a no contest...Eagles fans a puppy dogs compared to hardcore soccer crews.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #10 : May 08, 2007, 06:25:09 AM »

I still laugh every time I see a video of guys getting pummeled over a game of kick ball.

Most of the modern violence is organized and as little to do with the sport.

I could see MJS as a hooligan back in the day....

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #11 : May 07, 2007, 02:51:49 PM »

Somehow we need to devise a way to have one of the soccer/football teams play the Philly Eagles in some sort of contest. Put the soccer fans on one side and the Eagles fans on the other and see what happens! Now that is something I would pay to see. :D

That would be a no contest...Eagles fans a puppy dogs compared to hardcore soccer crews.

You want to see a movie about the firms of hooligans watch Green Street Hooligans.  Pretty brutal stuff.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #12 : May 07, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »

You can’t really compare the serious organized soccer hooligans to anything in US sport, not even Eagle fans.  Some of the crews plan their trips to away games like military operations, and they are more interested in fighting than watching a game.   The visiting fans are usually corralled into one area of the stadium and have a huge police contingent surrounding them.  That isn’t to protect the visiting fans it is to protect the home fans that tend to have a varied mix of ages and sexes.

The organized crews travel in small groups and rendezvous on the city limits before “attacking” their chosen target.  Most of the time it is a prearranged spot or stronghold of the home fans like a pub.  These crews tend to be young professional males between the ages of 20-35.  I was sucked into these organized raids a couple of times, and they are very hard-core.  Knifings were common and general vandalism like turning cars and smashing everything in their path is the aim.  If they can’t engage opposing fans they will fight the police.

The general population in a soccer ground isn’t like the organized crews but there enough of them in the ground that it would be VERY unwise to be amongst the home team fans.  Eagles fans just want to give you a hard time and throw beer on you, bad soccer fans want to seriously harm you……no way they would waste good beer. 

BucNative

Starter

« #13 : May 07, 2007, 06:01:05 PM »

You want to see a movie about the firms of hooligans watch Green Street Hooligans. Pretty brutal stuff.

That's a great film.  I love british films when they're done really well, and that one definitely was.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #14 : May 07, 2007, 06:21:56 PM »

I've played soccer in Europe before and got bottles thrown at me after the game for being a "yank."  This was outside the stadium.  These people showed up specifically to come after us when it was over.  They are on another level over there.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Glazers Get props in the UK « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools