Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NHL Playoffs > NBA Playoffs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#30 : May 14, 2007, 04:00:14 PM

Great shot. I may have to take in a game if they make it to the semis or finals.
If I go by myself, I could get a cheapo if I wait out the scalpers.

Swolf

Practice Squad

#31 : May 14, 2007, 04:04:34 PM

Also keep in mind Betman, its his decision to put it on VS and not something else, oh and for the record OBF the st. pete time fourm is sold out just about 99% of the time. America does like hockey expecally {SP} in cities that have hockey. Being where you are you don't have access to that sport, ok I understand that but to say america doesn't like hockey is just plain ignorant. You may not but you cant make that statement because you are not everyone.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#32 : May 14, 2007, 04:14:54 PM

I don't think you can gauge popularity by attendance. It's nice to have sell outs but it
does not even come close to the millions watching on tv. Let's face it, NBA is more
popular right now. It's not even close. Hockey took hits with the lock-out. I don't
think they'll ever catch baseball when it comes to popularity. For various reasons.

I like and watch both. But when my team is out, I watch more basketball than hockey.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#33 : May 14, 2007, 05:27:45 PM

Matt: Just because you say the NHL playoffs are more enjoyable, they're better, end of story? Pass off opinion as fact much???

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#34 : May 15, 2007, 07:29:06 AM

Matt: Just because you say the NHL playoffs are more enjoyable, they're better, end of story? Pass off opinion as fact much???
Obviously, it is my opinion.

I'll remember to put......... IMO in front of EVERYTHING that I post from now on  ::)

I just have something solid to base my opinion upon. OregonBF does not.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#35 : May 15, 2007, 07:31:41 AM

You need to go back, read the whole thread, and tell me who passed off opinion as fact.

Thanks for bringing NOTHING to this thread.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM

MBF

Hall of Famer

#36 : May 15, 2007, 12:16:53 PM

You need to go back, read the whole thread, and tell me who passed off opinion as fact.

Thanks for bringing NOTHING to this thread.
Unless you mean Boid, it was you.

Thanks for playing though.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#37 : May 15, 2007, 12:46:07 PM

NBC, TNT> Versus... tells you what americans think. WE HATE HOCKEY but hockey fan doesnt understand that

Hockey is a MUCH more exciting sport to watch IMO.

Indeed, thanks for playing.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#38 : May 15, 2007, 12:51:28 PM

NBC, TNT> Versus... tells you what americans think. WE HATE HOCKEY but hockey fan doesnt understand that

OBF was talking about how the ratings for TNT and ABC were high, yet Versus' ratings were low, thus most Americans prefer basketball to hockey.

http://media.www.newsteamboulder.com/media/storage/paper1155/news/2007/04/24/Sports/The-Nba.Nhl.Playoffs.Are.Back-2877097.shtml

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#39 : May 15, 2007, 12:57:43 PM

IMO, the NBA is just a more personal game. You can see the players' faces and expressions
on every play. In hockey, you only  get to see that on a goal or a close-up on a guy on the
bench every now and then.

Plus, for new fans, it's hard to follow the puck. My wife has one hell of a time with it.

Basketball is so much easier for new fans to pick-up. You put the ball in the basket.

Hockey? What a hell of a time I have explaining off sides and some of the other rules.
Not that they are that tough to understand. There's just so many. Icing, hand pass,
(but not in the defensive zone), distinct kicking motion, when should a penalty shot
be awarded... And others.

Plus, women like to see the basketball players in their shorts. Hockey players are all
bundled up. BBall must have a lot more women fans.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#40 : May 15, 2007, 01:03:10 PM

OBF was talking about how the ratings for TNT and ABC were high, yet Versus' ratings were low, thus most Americans prefer basketball to hockey.

http://media.www.newsteamboulder.com/media/storage/paper1155/news/2007/04/24/Sports/The-Nba.Nhl.Playoffs.Are.Back-2877097.shtml
he did NOT say "most Americans prefer hockey to basketball".

He said........ "WE HATE HOCKEY" (referring to Americans)
and........."AMERICANS DON'T LIKE HOCKEY"

His argument is that more people watch basketball. Nobody has disputed that.

He has not been to a hockey game since he was 5 freaking years old. He is basing his own opinion upon TV ratings. I prefer to have a mind of my own.

On one occasion, I at least threw in the old "IMO".

I am going to assume that you are a NBA>NHL guy, because you are not showing any objectivity as well. You aee that I prefer the NHL, and tell me that I am passing my opinion off as fact, when I am not acting that way anymore than many on this thread.  

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#41 : May 15, 2007, 01:05:51 PM

IMO, the NBA is just a more personal game. You can see the players' faces and expressions
on every play. In hockey, you only get to see that on a goal or a close-up on a guy on the
bench every now and then.

Plus, for new fans, it's hard to follow the puck. My wife has one hell of a time with it.

Basketball is so much easier for new fans to pick-up. You put the ball in the basket.

Hockey? What a hell of a time I have explaining off sides and some of the other rules.
Not that they are that tough to understand. There's just so many. Icing, hand pass,
(but not in the defensive zone), distinct kicking motion, when should a penalty shot
be awarded... And others.

Plus, women like to see the basketball players in their shorts. Hockey players are all
bundled up. BBall must have a lot more women fans.
Hockey is a much more difficult game to pick up than basketball.

I wasn't a fan until I attended my first Lightning game. At that point I was a long time NBA fan.

The product that the NBA is putting out now is garbage compared to what I grew up watching IMO[/i]

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#42 : May 15, 2007, 01:10:23 PM

Matthew,

Your mistake is this thread is expecting to have a serious debate with OBF.

No offense OBF!

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#43 : May 15, 2007, 01:17:43 PM

Matthew,

Your mistake is this thread is expecting to have a serious debate with OBF.

No offense OBF!
This, I know.

Funny thing is........ I was having this same argument with some friends from Minnesota about 12 years ago, but I was on the NBA side ;)

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NHL Playoffs > NBA Playoffs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools