Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: For LeeroyBuc - Pyramid's Secret Doors to Be Opened « previous next »
Page: 1

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

: May 09, 2007, 03:09:11 PM

Leeroy, I did a search and found this...

Let's hope this one uncovers something worth talking about.

There's a chance that Hawass has already been behind the door and knows what is there.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/03/20/hawass_arc.html?category=archaeology&guid=20070320100000

Pyramid's Secret Doors to Be Opened
Rossella Lorenzi, Discovery News

March 20, 2007 — Doors will soon open to reveal one of the mysteries of the Great Pyramid in Giza, Dr. Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, told Discovery News in an exclusive interview.

Hawass, one of the world's leading Egyptologists, said he will show what lies behind secret doors inside the 4,500-year-old pharaonic mausoleum by the end of this year.

"Finally, people all over the world will know what is behind the second door in the southern shaft and the third door in the northern shaft," Hawass said.

Built in 2550 B.C. for the pharaoh Cheops, also known as Khufu, the Great Pyramid is the largest of a family of three pyramids on the Giza plateau, on the outskirts of Cairo.

The last remaining wonder of the ancient world has lost little of its original height of 481 feet, and contains 3.4 million cubic yards of material. Its base covers an area of 13.1 acres, which could accommodate the cathedrals of Florence, Milan, London's St. Paul's and Rome's St. Peter's and still have plenty of space.

The monument has long been rumored to have hidden passageways leading to secret chambers, and archaeologists have puzzled over the meaning of four narrow shafts deep inside the pyramid since they were first discovered in 1872.

Two shafts, extend from the upper, or "Kings Chamber" exit into open air. But the lower two, one on the south side and one on the north side in the so-called "Queen's Chamber" disappear within, deepening the pyramid mystery.

Widely believed to be ritual passageways for the dead pharaoh's soul to reach the afterlife, these 8-inch square shafts remained unexplored until 1993, when German engineer Rudolf Gantenbrink sent a robot through the southern shaft.

After a steady climb of 213 feet from the heart of the pyramid, the robot had to stop in front of a mysterious limestone slab adorned with two copper handles.

Nine years later, Hawass performed an investigation of the southern shaft on live television. As the world held its breath, a tomb-raiding robot pushed a camera through a hole drilled in the copper handled door — only to reveal another door.

The following day, Hawass sent the robot through the northern shaft. After crawling for 213 feet and several sharp bends, the robot came to an abrupt halt in front of another limestone slab.

As with the Gantenbrink door, the stone was adorned with two copper handles.

"I dedicated my whole life to study the secrets of the Great Pyramid and I must say that these doors create many exciting questions. It is intriguing that the door in the northern shaft and the first door in the southern shaft are equidistant from the queen's chamber.

"Moreover, they are very similar, as they both feature the same copper handles," Hawass said.

Speculation abounds that the shafts might lead to a secret chamber which might contain everything: a cache of papyri, a statue of Pharaoh Khufu, or even his real tomb.

"This month I am going to choose the team that is going to work with me on this project. It will be either from Singapore or Hong Kong," Hawass said.

Hawass did not specify whether inspections into the shafts have already been carried or whether further robotic investigations are necessary.

"I can only say that this year I will reveal the secrets of the Great Pyramid doors," Hawass told Discovery News.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#1 : May 09, 2007, 03:17:50 PM

Awesome.  This is one of the only things left that you can truly say no one has ever seen.  It is completely untouched by looters.  I can't wait.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#2 : May 09, 2007, 03:25:31 PM

Problem is...Hawass might have already seen it and could stage it for tv...

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#3 : May 09, 2007, 03:27:46 PM

Problem is...Hawass might have already seen it and could stage it for tv...

That's true, but this guy is pretty credible and I doubt he'd do that.  Besides, short of an iPod there's not much he could put in there that would shock anyone.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#4 : May 09, 2007, 03:30:02 PM

The last part of the article is what makes me wonder...

Hawass did not specify whether inspections into the shafts have already been carried or whether further robotic investigations are necessary.

"I can only say that this year I will reveal the secrets of the Great Pyramid doors," Hawass told Discovery News.

But it will be fun either way.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#5 : May 09, 2007, 03:33:44 PM

The last part of the article is what makes me wonder...

But it will be fun either way.

I'm not sure how you could look in there and then air it like you didn't.  If he's seen it then he's drilled a hole in the 2nd door.  Since there's no way to actually get to the door then he can't have patched the hole for TV.  I think we'll see what he sees for the first time.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 09, 2007, 03:41:53 PM

He may have been able to see in there with a tiny camera like they used the first time. And
Hawass is a character. He would have no problem acting.

#7 : May 10, 2007, 07:54:00 PM

Credible? Hawass is an absolute hack. He reminds me of someone I met in Mexico many years ago when I went to Chichen Itza and climbed Kukulcan's Pyramid. At the top of the pyramid is a rectangular structure supported by six columns (one in each corner and one in the center of each long side). It is walled in on three sides, with only one of the long sides being open. There was a man there who told me that he was a scientist from there in Mexico and that he himself was descended from the Maya. He pointed out to me that there were holes bored sideways through the columns on the corners. A theory that was just beginning to gain momentum at that time was that the Mayans sacrificed humans to their gods, and that these holes in the columns were used to tether slaves while they were waiting their turn. This man told me that he didn't believe that, and he was there to disprove it. He pointed out that if you looked through the holes, you could see spots that were probably major entrances to the city at one time.

Upon further examination, I noticed that there was also a hole bored through the center column in the open wall. When you looked through this hole from either direction, all you could see was the column on the other side. I pointed this out to the "scientist" and he became very angry and just glared at me. It didn't fit in with his theory, and he didn't want to hear about it. He acted like I was personally attacking his ancestors. I had in no way proved that the Mayans were sacrificing anyone, all I had done was disprove his own theory. It has been proven since, though, that the Mayans did indeed perform human sacrifices.

Hawass is exactly like this. Just listen to one of his tirades about the "lying Jews". He becomes very irate and starts bellowing about how the Egyptians would NEVER have had any slaves. The man is not qualified to be a scientist, he can't see past his own biases. Unfortunately, he is in a position to quiet others who disagree with his narrow views, and more importantly, to stop these people from doing research to start with. The man is a hack, nothing more. He has no credibility - none.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#8 : May 10, 2007, 08:09:38 PM

Hawass is exactly like this. Just listen to one of his tirades about the "lying Jews". He becomes very irate and starts bellowing about how the Egyptians would NEVER have had any slaves. The man is not qualified to be a scientist, he can't see past his own biases. Unfortunately, he is in a position to quiet others who disagree with his narrow views, and more importantly, to stop these people from doing research to start with. The man is a hack, nothing more. He has no credibility - none.

And what sucks is that the independent researchers who want to study on the Giza plateau, have
to go through Hawass. So they have to play nice and pretend to get along with the egomaniac.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#9 : May 10, 2007, 08:12:54 PM

He said that Jewish slaves weren't the ones who built the pyramids, not that Egyptians never had slaves.  He's also right.  Jews didn't make it to Egypt for another 700 years.  It hasn't been suggested legitimitely that Jewish slaves built the pyramids in about 100 years, but it was a popular theory for awhile there.  It's not like he just made it up.  When you consider the amount of time that has passed since many of the things Muslims and Jews argue about, this isn't all that off the wall.  

Bottom line:  Hawass may be guily of anti-semitism but that doesn't dicount his scientific work.  If every anti-semite's work was disregarded we wouldn't have algebra today.

#10 : May 10, 2007, 08:21:11 PM

I'm not talking specifically about antisemitism, I just used that as an example. Hawass discounts any theory that he believes reflects poorly on his ancestors. He ignores any evidence that points in that direction. And a bias like that certainly does throw into question the scientific validity of his work. And, as was mentioned, he is in a position to stop actual scientists who may not share his biases from doing research.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#11 : May 10, 2007, 08:29:44 PM

I'm not talking specifically about antisemitism, I just used that as an example. Hawass discounts any theory that he believes reflects poorly on his ancestors. He ignores any evidence that points in that direction. And a bias like that certainly does throw into question the scientific validity of his work. And, as was mentioned, he is in a position to stop actual scientists who may not share his biases from doing research.

It's not like he alone is making that decision.  The entire Egyptian government is very sensitive to keeping their own spin on the face of their nation.  That's what happens when a country suppresses political free speech.  They have to make their people think they are so great they sould not be questioned.  They have to tie themselves to their extaordinary past.

Aside from the anti-semitism and showman tactics, I haven't seen too many problem with his actual work, but then I'm not an expert.  Like I said about the slaves comments he made,  everyone blasted him over it and never stopped to realize that he was absolutely right.  No one was really questioning it by this point in time, but it gets the press excited in his country to bash Jews.  That is pervasive throughout every level of a Muslim country.  He's really not much different than anyone else there.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: For LeeroyBuc - Pyramid's Secret Doors to Be Opened « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools