Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I Just Heard Gruden's Post-Game Interview « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#15 : October 30, 2006, 11:27:49 AM

I just listened to it and I did not hear that comment. I heard him say that the weather was a big factor, but he also clarifies why he threw the ball so many times. They were trying to take advantage of the wind.

"It was hard to do anything with the football today besides hand it off"

His quote exactly and it is in black and white on the website. Regardless of what was previous to or following that quote, it is ridiculous! I guess you were in the bathroom or something, when you missed it.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 30, 2006, 11:29:13 AM

When you rush 13 times (eight by Williams), you are doing more than handing off the football.  ;)

grefly

Starter

#17 : October 30, 2006, 11:33:01 AM

He didn't mean that he only handed off, he meant nothing else worked. Agreed, why keep trying something that isn't working, but we're reading something into the comment that isn't there.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#18 : October 30, 2006, 11:34:17 AM

Agreed, why keep trying something that isn't working....

How do you know its not going to work if you don't even rush in the second half of the game

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 30, 2006, 11:47:20 AM

I just listened to it and I did not hear that comment. I heard him say that the weather was a big factor, but he also clarifies why he threw the ball so many times. They were trying to take advantage of the wind.

His quote exactly and it is in black and white on the website. Regardless of what was previous to or following that quote, it is ridiculous! I guess you were in the bathroom or something, when you missed it.

idiot. He means the only successful thing they could do without someone dropping the f-ing ball was hand it off. He doesn't.....nevermind.  [banghead]

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 30, 2006, 11:50:53 AM

idiot. He means the only successful thing they could do without someone dropping the f-ing ball was hand it off. He doesn't.....nevermind.  [banghead]

I read it differently. He began by talking about the weather elements. He mentioned that the wind was very strong. That comment followed shortly after his comments about the wind. The way I saw it, and even the way I read it, I believe he thought handing it off was the only way to make a play; because of the wind.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#21 : October 30, 2006, 12:06:37 PM

what did you want to see? more 3 and outs in the second half? C'mon, you can't wear down a defense when you offense doesn't stay on the field.

bucs63

Starter
#22 : October 30, 2006, 02:58:42 PM

First five possesions:
1. run   pass pass
2. run   pass run
3. pass pass pass
4. run   run   pass
5. pass run  pass   12:04 remaining 1st half

9 passes, 6 runs, 5 straight 3 and outs. From a logical standpoint you might say that since we passed so much more on these possesions that passing was not effective, not rushing. Gruden came out  passing from the beginning. He made us one dimensional. Thats what the defense usually tries to do, isn't it?

This years motto is THROW THR ROCK!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 30, 2006, 02:48:38 PM

Well, Ghost, I have finally read something today that makes sense. Thank you. I always thought that the coach's job was to put the players in a position to win the game. Not win the game. That is on the players. I don't care if Gruden is running the wishbone offense---if he has the team in a position to score and win the game it is up to the team to do so. And from what I've seen this year, excluding the Baltimore game, the team has been in position to win games. That's all I can ask of a coach/OC.

You didn't need me to tell you that, but apparently there are some people here who do. The fact of the matter is, if Joey or Mike had caught one of those TD passes, it would have been a whole different ballgame and I'd venture to say you'd have seen a lot more running the ball in the second half.

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#24 : October 30, 2006, 02:43:32 PM

Ain't that the truth..

Coach can make the gameplan and call the plays, but once the ball is snapped it's up to the guys on the field to execute. He can't catch the balls for them.

Well, Ghost, I have finally read something today that makes sense. Thank you. I always thought that the coach's job was to put the players in a position to win the game. Not win the game. That is on the players. I don't care if Gruden is running the wishbone offense---if he has the team in a position to score and win the game it is up to the team to do so. And from what I've seen this year, excluding the Baltimore game, the team has been in position to win games. That's all I can ask of a coach/OC.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 30, 2006, 02:26:09 PM

Whatever we did yesterday there was, in all likelyhood, a better gameplan to be had. What was called was not adequate.

Yes, there was. The gameplan was called: "Joey, Mike, and Caddy will catch the ball and score touchdowns" and it worked to perfection, except for the "catching" and "scoring touchdowns" part.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 30, 2006, 02:38:29 PM

Ain't that the truth..

Coach can make the gameplan and call the plays, but once the ball is snapped it's up to the guys on the field to execute. He can't catch the balls for them.

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#27 : October 30, 2006, 02:36:29 PM

Whatever we did yesterday there was, in all likelyhood, a better gameplan to be had. What was called was not adequate.

Yes, there was. The gameplan was called: "Joey, Mike, and Caddy will catch the ball and score touchdowns" and it worked to perfection, except for the "catching" and "scoring touchdowns" part.

Ain't that the truth..

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#28 : October 30, 2006, 02:32:58 PM

what did you want to see? more 3 and outs in the second half? C'mon, you can't wear down a defense when you offense doesn't stay on the field.

Easy answer here, we scored 3 points and if the NYG don't jump offsides we get blanked. Whatever we did yesterday there was, in all likelyhood, a better gameplan to be had. What was called was not adequate. Even SF hung 10 on a CHI defense that is better than the NYG defense, and that is comparing the not banged up like it was yesterday NYG defense to the Bears.

the point Dalbuc, was that we weren't sustaining drives at all while running the ball. We had what 5 or 6 straight 3 and outs early on? So the whole 'wear a team down using the run' strategy goes out the window if you can't keep the other defense on the field. So my question to the original poster( Bucs and Bolts)was what would running the ball in the second half have done?

TBayJJ

Second String

#29 : October 30, 2006, 03:10:11 PM

yeah, he was being sarcastic.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I Just Heard Gruden's Post-Game Interview « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools