Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden/Offense « previous next »
Page: 1

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« : October 30, 2006, 02:55:53 PM »

Whoa, whoa, hold your horses, man. Smart? What is his IQ? What was his wonderlick? How do you guage "smart?".

Actually, one of his pre-draft knocks was his low Wonderlic score (19, I believe).  However, it doesn't seem to have limited his ability to grasp the offense and read defenses.  This might become an issue down the road, if defenses learn to confuse him, but so far it looks like he'll do fine.

buckit

Hall of Famer

« #1 : October 30, 2006, 02:52:20 PM »

Whoa, whoa, hold your horses, man.  Smart?  What is his IQ?  What was his wonderlick?  How do you guage "smart?".  Tough?  Why?  Because he runs?  Determined?  Isn't everyone who makes it to the show determined?  How do you know he has the full support of his teammates?  Gruden coddles him, yes, but his teammates will only put up with his lack of play for so long... Good decision maker?  Based on what?  True he hasn't turned the ball over, but last week, he took too many checkdowns without even looking downfield.  The week before, he threw the damn ball up for grabs into double and triple coverage when he had check downs wide open.  Manages the game?  He's a rookie QB.  He isn't managing anything.  Gruden is.  He just follows orders at this point.  Fully understands the gameplan and playbook?  How do you know this?  Seems to me, Gruden has had to run a much more conservative offense with Grads at the helm.

I'm not bashing him, not at all.  It's just he's "only been in the league for six months and has only four starts".  There is no way you can honestly make these assumptions based on what you've seen thus far.  No one can.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

bucfn126

Second String
« #2 : October 30, 2006, 02:03:20 PM »

Do you think Gruden is playing to Gradkowski's strenths? If I had a criticism of Gruden it would be that he seems so bent on his system he becomes inflexible. I really thought given Gradkowski's mobility he would have him rolling out more, maybe giving him run pass options in short yardage and maybe implementing the shot gun to buy him a few seconds in the pocket. I just don't see much creativity on Gruden's part.

One other thing I heard Philly fans on Sirius complaing about Andy Reeds play calling and they were similar complaints I have heard about Gruden. Like passing on third or fourth down instead of running the ball. I thought it was interesting since they share similar philosophies.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

« #3 : October 30, 2006, 02:08:55 PM »

I was wondering why we didn't try the shotgun either yesterday, with the pressure they were bringing and the type of conditions, i thought it could of at least been atempted in some asset to do something to get the offense going

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #4 : October 30, 2006, 02:10:35 PM »

I was wondering why we didn't try the shotgun either yesterday, with the pressure they were bringing and the type of conditions, i thought it could of at least been atempted in some asset to do something to get the offense going

The wind might have had something to do with that.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

« #5 : October 30, 2006, 02:10:55 PM »

No. Sans the Saints game, he hasn't used Gradkowski's mobility the way I thought he would and know he could.

It worked really well against the Saints, too. Why we haven't continued it, i'll never know.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

« #6 : October 30, 2006, 02:13:35 PM »

I'm not too sure the wind would've had that much of an impact on shotgun formation

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #7 : October 30, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »

I'm not too sure the wind would've had that much of an impact on shotgun formation

It's just pure speculation on my part.  Just a possibility.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #8 : October 30, 2006, 02:16:32 PM »

No. Sans the Saints game, he hasn't used Gradkowski's mobility the way I thought he would and know he could.
It worked really well against the Saints, too. Why we haven't continued it, i'll never know.

Depends on the personnel and the matchups.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #9 : October 30, 2006, 02:29:57 PM »

Are we wondering if Grads should run around more?  Is that supposed to be funny?  Pehaps we should buy him a motorcycle to drive around as well.

Maybe we could buy him a unicycle. Or maybe buy him a scooter...one of those "Vespas"! Oh, or maybe buy him a WR who'll catch the ball when they've got both hands on it!

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

« #10 : October 30, 2006, 02:23:12 PM »

Depends on the personnel and the matchups.

Exactly. We faced the Bengals then Eagles, two teams with very good defensive coaches. Now throw in Coughlin and I'm pretty sure that Grad had some looks that he's never seen before.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

« #11 : October 30, 2006, 02:26:31 PM »

Are we wondering if Grads should run around more?  Is that supposed to be funny?  Pehaps we should buy him a motorcycle to drive around as well.

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

buckit

Hall of Famer

« #12 : October 30, 2006, 02:30:27 PM »

And just what ARE Gradkowski's strenghts?  Honestly, the light only seems to come on in the kid's head when he's behind and trying to play catch up.  Otherwise, he looks f***in lost out there...

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #13 : October 30, 2006, 02:34:37 PM »

And just what ARE Gradkowski's strenghts?

Smart, mobile, tough, determined. Has the full support of his teammates and has the coaching staff on his side as well (unlike Simms). Quick-witted, good decision maker, manages a game well, fully understands the gameplan and playbook (something Simms didn't as yet).

His weaknesses? He's only been in the league for six months and has only four starts.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden/Offense « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools