Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "I'm a tribal Prince from Nigeria; and I need your account info"...... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

: May 15, 2007, 04:14:42 PM

Anyone else heard about or have gotten a bunch of crap e-mails like those from someone of royalty in Nigeria or England, and they need YOUR help in getting their hands on the family fortune.  ::)  [banghead]

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#1 : May 15, 2007, 04:15:35 PM

I made my first million that way. Guy needed $10K and I gave it to him.
He gained acces to the fortune and took care of me. Yeah baby!

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#2 : May 15, 2007, 04:16:36 PM

can i have your social while your at it ;)

#3 : May 15, 2007, 04:16:52 PM

Yeah, and then he drained your account of EVERYTHING about a month later Joe!!  :D :o

alstott40

Pro Bowler

#4 : May 15, 2007, 04:44:07 PM

Dateline did a story on this, people in africa have been getting people to send them money so that they can release millions, they promise a lot of money in return, I would love to know the I.Q. of the people who actually send these people money

#5 : May 15, 2007, 04:50:21 PM

Anyone else heard about or have gotten a bunch of crap e-mails like those from someone of royalty in Nigeria or England, and they need YOUR help in getting their hands on the family fortune. ::)  [banghead]

A friend of mine is very active on Ebay... he was trying to sell two watches and had buyers from nigeria buy both of them in separate transactions. One watch was for $1000, the other $1500 but in both cases the buyer claimed that he was actually buying for someone else and that they had money orders for $4000 that they wanted to send to my buddy for the watches and for him to send them a personal check for the balance. Needless to say, he didn't go thru with the sale but its pretty amazing the scams that are out there and the amount of people that fall for them.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#6 : May 15, 2007, 04:54:48 PM

Yeah, and then he drained your account of EVERYTHING about a month later Joe!!  :D :o

No, I closed my account before he would do that.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#7 : May 15, 2007, 05:04:22 PM

They called when I had puppies.
Acting like they were deaf.Funny thing was they called like 20 different times and I keep telling the relay people ...hey this is a scam and you might be envolved in legal action i got the feds to start...Their response was we know nothing.
yea I am going to sell a puppies to some one who never even askked what the price was!
I got so mad at them I really let them have it well the relay people got a ear full thats for sure!

#8 : May 15, 2007, 05:06:44 PM

By now anyone who falls for this is a straight up naive retard!!  [banghead]

#9 : May 15, 2007, 05:08:15 PM

Wait...so this isn't legit?

Oh God.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#10 : May 15, 2007, 05:11:21 PM

LMAO

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#11 : May 15, 2007, 05:32:21 PM

Does that mean my money in the bank is worthless?

BucNative

Starter

#12 : May 15, 2007, 07:35:18 PM

My wife and I dealt with this same scam.  Its called a 419 scam.  There's actually a website of a coalition of people trying to alert people to it.
http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

Anyway, my wife ran a small business for a while (handcrafted stained glass jewelry) and she built a website for it.  Two of the first orders she ever recieved were from Nigeria.  We thought it was strange but were excited that there were some people that wanted to buy her stuff.  They actually corresponded with my wife several times and they did give some story of wanting the item shipped to a different address or something.  They actually placed a very specific order and everything, but they didn't pay.  Quite some time passed and the guy said he would be sending a money order to pay for the items and that if he overpayed that we should send any overage back to a different address than his sending address.

Now I was working with a guy from Nigeria at the time at the hospital and he told me to be careful as soon as I told him that we got an order from Nigeria.  He pointed out that the amount of items he ordered, (somewhere around $600 or so I think) was equal to like 40,000 dollars to a Nigerian.  It was more than a years wages or something, but I figured hey we'll see how it plays out.  So finally after what must have been 5 months or something we finally got the money orders.  In fact by the time we actually got the money orders my wife had closed the business and we had moved from St. Louis back to Florida. 

Of course I was pretty su**CENSORED**ious by that time but the money orders looked legit.  So I took them to the bank.  The girl at the counter ran the MO through her little machine and it didn't register.  She seemed to try it a few times and then she seemed like she was going to pay out on the MO even though it wasn't scanning.  I assume she figured she could sort out the issue later because she assumed a MO is like cash, like most people do.  I told her to verify that the MO was valid as I had serious su**CENSORED**ions that it was fraudulent.  The manager came over and verified that the MO was no good.  I went home and called the company that was printed on the MO as the issuing agent and they verified that the number on the MO was fraudulent. 

The guy contacted us a few more times but my wife had actually reported him to the Nigerian embassy and to the police or some US agency I think.  She eventually told the guy that we had figured out his scam and reported him and that was the last we heard of it.   

The worst part to me was that my wife was so excited that people wanted the jewelry that she had taken so much time and effort and passion to make and then for her to have that happen and realize that it was just some dumb jerk trying to scam her really sucked. 

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#13 : May 15, 2007, 07:56:40 PM

I think I have some cousin who fell for the "I have money in the bank but need
your money to access it." What does that say about me if I'm related to him?
Oh no.

The Nigerian people supposedly purchasing stuff from US businesses is one thing.
But the emails asking for money? Does anybody except my cousin fall for that
stuff? I'm not really sure exactly what scam he fell for.

I had a friend who sold used CDs and got screwed by some alleged Nigerians
buying product from him.

What happened to the good old days where Nigerians won the marathons and
left us alone?

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#14 : May 16, 2007, 03:07:39 AM

I was getting about 3 of these Nigerian/Darfurian/SA/etc. emails a week. The one that just pushed me over the edge was some woman claiming to be an Ivory Coast Finance Minister's wife who had AIDS and because of the disease her husband was killed, but not before hiding $40 million.   Blah,blah, blah, she needed help, heard I was a nice guy, blah,blah, give me 10% commish...

The AIDS angle just pee'd me so..I sent a reply saying, Sorry I can't help cause IRS/tax problems with my bank but My friend Carl was really touched by your story and he would like to help, but he doesn't have email so here is his fax number
(813) 253-1456.  Please send him the info you need.

Two weeks later I get another email from AIDS Lady saying thanks for introducing her to "Carl" he has agreed to help her yadayadayada...and when the transaction with "Carl" is complete she would like meet us both in the US.

I just hope something really came of this.  Then I will ROFLAO

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "I'm a tribal Prince from Nigeria; and I need your account info"...... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools