Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Toyota 100% Hybrid by 2020 « previous next »
Page: 1

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« : May 15, 2007, 06:38:21 PM »

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/toyota/toyota-cutting-hybrid-costs/

Toyota has always backed its hybrid technology as the key to reducing fuel consumption and carbon emissions, but as advanced as the technology is, diesel powered cars manage to offer similar levels of eco-friendliness but with more performance to boot. It doesn’t help that hybrid vehicles are considerably more expensive than their oil-burning counterparts as well.

That’s why Toyota is hard at work developing cheaper hybrid systems. Reuters reports that Toyota is hoping to make as much money from hybrids as it does from conventional cars by the end of the decade. The news comes from Toyota’s vice president in charge of powertrain development, Masatami Takimoto, who said cost cutting on the electric motor, battery and inverter were all showing positive results and by the time Toyota’s sales goal of one million hybrids annually is reached, it “expect margins to be equal to gasoline cars”. Takimoto also made the bold claim that by 2020, hybrids will be the standard drivetrain and account for “100 percent” of Toyota’s cars as they would be no more expensive to produce than a conventional vehicle.

Last year Toyota sold 313,000 hybrids and this year it’s expecting close to 430,000 sales. The most popular hybrid model, the Prius, has been suffering of late in the US because of a wind up of tax credits, which saw prices rise. Experts are predicting that the new model, due late next year or in only 2009, will feature a cheaper lithium-ion battery system.

As for alternatives, Takimoto mentioned that plug-in hybrids, which run on electricity alone and can be charged from a household power socket are still years away from being feasible. While diesel vehicles, as favored by the European carmakers, require expensive particulate filters and other traps that cost almost as much as the first generation hybrid technology.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #1 : May 15, 2007, 06:51:25 PM »

I have always owned a yota, oil and gas is all they need!

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #2 : May 15, 2007, 06:55:41 PM »

8 years after the apocalypse.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #3 : May 15, 2007, 06:58:15 PM »

I love Toyota. I have had 2 Tacomas, 2 Tercels, and 2 Corollas. I have replaced 1 thermostat.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

« #4 : May 15, 2007, 07:10:25 PM »

^
I want a Tacoma
Toyotas last forever and a day... good cars and trucks

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #5 : May 15, 2007, 07:23:32 PM »

Love my Solara...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #6 : May 15, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »

I'm down on Hybrids after all of this EV talk.

I love Toyotas and I love my Nissan truck. And I hate my wife's Chevy Blazer.
Piece of garbage that she had when I met her. I think what I am going to
do is pay somebody to convert my truck to an EV vehicle. It would make
for a great 2nd car. I would do that to the Chevy but I think it's too
heavy. Plus, there things that fall apart on that car aren't all engine
related. I've been reading about converting a car to an EV. I might
just buy an older, lighter, cheaper car with a busted engine and
have somebody convert that. If it's $10,000, it's worth it.
Most of our driving is very local. When we need the long
haul, we're going to hopefully have a new electric car with
400 mile range. Maybe in the next few years?

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

« #7 : May 15, 2007, 08:07:20 PM »

wife has a 00 Avalon, has been a great car so far, not any trouble and we drove it to NC a few weeks ago, it was great, i had a 90 celica and that was a grat car for me back then, but i back there cars, they seem to run forever, i remeber seeing a news cast once and the guy dorve the car so much that he actually reset the odometer in the car

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

« #8 : May 15, 2007, 08:11:50 PM »

wife has a 00 Avalon, has been a great car so far, not any trouble and we drove it to NC a few weeks ago, it was great, i had a 90 celica and that was a grat car for me back then, but i back there cars, they seem to run forever, i remeber seeing a news cast once and the guy dorve the car so much that he actually reset the odometer in the car

I saw the same newscast I think. It was a good 4 or 5 years back I believe. He had the car for 15 plus years and actually reset the odometer. Thats 999,999 miles before reset. Now THATS a damn good car.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

« #9 : May 15, 2007, 08:15:22 PM »

since 1982....diesel pick up....camrys....4runner

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

« #10 : May 15, 2007, 10:02:17 PM »

nissan is the best.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

« #11 : May 16, 2007, 04:48:51 AM »

nissan is the best.
Yah, their Pecan Sandies are the best.
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Toyota 100% Hybrid by 2020 « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools