Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Stupid Belichick! Run the Ball! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

gruber

Pro Bowler

#30 : November 01, 2006, 01:55:24 PM

OK, smart guys, how do the Pats keep doing it every year? No down years, salary cap excuses, young players, etc.

Intersting read Karen.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/10/29/patriots_put_brainpower_into_their_cap/

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#31 : November 01, 2006, 04:07:13 PM

Pass defense adjusted for opponents played -- now that is funny---

Hey you got anything on our offense adjusted for playing the top opponents in each division and beating two of them. Thats got to be worth a few extra points huh?

You always want to use figures adjusted for your opponents. Unadjusted stats are not as useful so whatever you find funny just syas you don't want to look at the most useful measures available.

As for our adjusted offensive ranking, we are helped by our opposition. We're 29th not 32nd.

I see your point but you were saying their run D is their achilles heel, but actually it has been teams throwing on them that has produced the majority of the points they have given up. you can break down stats into any meniscule category you like but it is still their run D that has been stronger than their secondary. Add to that we faced 8-9 man fronts with alot of those being 9 man with the safeties playing down and we had some nice man looks and Grads made some nice throws and actually had a wee bit of time to read those throws. Sure 48x is ridiculous but our run game was going no where except the one run that gained 16. Then again who's to say we dont break a couple more of those if we stick with it. So while I think 48x in itself is ridiculous in those conditions there were plays to be made on their secondary when they are giving you man looks alot to stop the run. And while I see your point coulda should woulda it is still apparent that if some plays were made in the pass game by the receivers Grads and Gruden would have looked a heck of a lot better than they do right now. Still 48x is bit of a panick with 35min left in the game. But i can't put total fault on him when there were plays to be made

BucHarbour

Hall of Famer

#32 : November 01, 2006, 08:01:03 PM

It all comes down to this: Gruden had, generally, the right attack in mind - pass it on them. Unfortunately, the weather made it harder than they had anticipated, but, even worse, Gruden took it to an extreme. We should have seen roughly 35 passes and 25 runs, give or take a play. That would have been the right balance to attack the Giants with. Just running on what was mostly 9 man fronts, just wasn't getting us anywhere. But passing 48 times was ridiculous. Gruden's play calling has been too much to the extremes this year. He needs to more actively seek balance in his attack. Stop trying to show us what you think of Bruce, and just properly use your weapons. The offensive line has been pretty solid in pass pro all year, so spread teams with 3 wide, and run the ball. Make them defend you on the edges while you run up the gut.

I have a feeling he'll eventually get his play calling back in-line with what it should be. He's frustrated with the loosing and is trying anything to see what sticks, but, sometimes you just have to pound it and pass off play action. Force the defense to react to you, instead of responding to them.

>>Ugh.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#33 : November 01, 2006, 09:11:06 PM

It all comes down to this: Gruden had, generally, the right attack in mind - pass it on them. Unfortunately, the weather made it harder than they had anticipated, but, even worse, Gruden took it to an extreme. We should have seen roughly 35 passes and 25 runs, give or take a play. That would have been the right balance to attack the Giants with. Just running on what was mostly 9 man fronts, just wasn't getting us anywhere. But passing 48 times was ridiculous. Gruden's play calling has been too much to the extremes this year. He needs to more actively seek balance in his attack. Stop trying to show us what you think of Bruce, and just properly use your weapons. The offensive line has been pretty solid in pass pro all year, so spread teams with 3 wide, and run the ball. Make them defend you on the edges while you run up the gut.

I have a feeling he'll eventually get his play calling back in-line with what it should be. He's frustrated with the loosing and is trying anything to see what sticks, but, sometimes you just have to pound it and pass off play action. Force the defense to react to you, instead of responding to them.

I could have not said it any better.  Well said.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#34 : November 02, 2006, 09:19:04 AM

Considering the Giants were stacking the line and their pass defense (Bucs offense did nothing in the first quarter) is worse I would say attacking the Giants through the air is the right attack in the second quarter.  I mean even with a whole bunch of players out in their front seven that front seven is still better than their back four and the rankings reflect this considering how their D-line has been racking up the sacks the last few games.

But BucsHarbour is talking about taking it to the extreme with the passing attack.  And I concur with BucsHarbour on that point.  The Bucs actually moved the football once they started trying to move through the air.  Problem is the Bucs did not mix enough runs.  Carnell's biggest run I believe came off a draw play.  That tells me that they were on their heels defending the pass in the second half.  This is where Gruden failed to capitalize by running Carnell.  That heavy passing attack in that second quarter opened things up.  The Giants adjusted and backed off from stacking the line in the second half.  This is where Gruden should have continued to feed the ball to Carnell.

BucHarbour

Hall of Famer

#35 : November 02, 2006, 04:32:10 PM

It all comes down to this: Gruden had, generally, the right attack in mind - pass it on them. Unfortunately, the weather made it harder than they had anticipated, but, even worse, Gruden took it to an extreme. We should have seen roughly 35 passes and 25 runs, give or take a play.

LThis is priceless example of doublethink. Gruden had the right attack except:
1. Conditions didn't make it optimal
2. He called too many passes by 33% by your estimate.

My budget was right in line my freshman year except I didn't make any money and a I spent 33% too much. Gruden is right even when he's wrong.

Having fun twisting my wording? Did you notice that I didn't agree with his play calling? I agree with the fact that the Giants needed to be attacked more with the pass than with the run, but only slightly more. The defense needed to be loosened up some, but the running game was abandoned, and it shouldn't have. I thought it was one of Gruden's worst games, play calling wise. I was only agreeing with his basic premise, not the actual calls.

Doublethink? Get a clue. There's a difference between having the right mindset and executing it incorrectly.

>>Ugh.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Stupid Belichick! Run the Ball! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools