Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was at the Game. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

: October 31, 2006, 01:12:31 AM

I was only sad because the Bucs didn't get the win.

Let me tell you something though:  The Bucs should not have thrown the ball as much as they did.  Being there, at the tailgates, in the stadium, it was cold (chilly), and the description of the wind defies what the announcers could have said about it.  It was bad.  I was talking to a few Buc fans, and I dropped the twenty carry stat (Bucs undefeated when Caddy gets the 20 plus carries).  The common consensus amongst all of us was he would need forty.  That wind played a huge difference in gameplanning, that is for sure.  No one could throw a ball in that crap, and any deep passes (espescially the one to Burress) were basically luck and the receivers skill set.  Those guys had to keep an eye on knuckleballs out there.  It (the pigskin) was dancing on its way to the receiver. 

Galloway really hurt the team though.  He should have caught at least two of those passes that were well placed under HORRID conditions, and that would have changed the entire game.  It was a field position game, and the defense was playing decently.  Those drops were HUGE, and Joey should be ashamed.  But everyone makes mistakes, but a veteran of Joeys skill level should have not have dropped those.   [banghead]

Caddy was a non-factor, and his fumble was inexcusable as well.  I don't know if the wind played a part in altering the flight of the pitch towards his hands, but it came close enough, and he should have wrapped it up.  Huge turnover.  Game altering really.

The O-line played decently, against a Umenyioraless defense, but Strahan was a non-factor.  I loved it when a Giants "fan" called Simeon out on his performance, saying he really made a difference, while Strahan was basically a dud against a "improving" O-line.  I let him know that L.T.s record still stands (in my mind at least, they didn't keep track of Sacks back then anyway, which is a shame really), and he said look at the scoreboard.  At least he wins that one.  I really would have liked to see more runs, but it wasn't my call. 

Giants Stadium is a dump.  The garbage you seen on TV was only a very small bit of all the trash floating around that dump...it was hillarious watching the bags and papers fly around the field.  One thing, it sure does swirl in the stadium.  I guess that is a huge home-field advantage.

The defense in the early part of the game had me weirded out.  They actually manned up, and I never thought I would see that.  I think they were in a Cover 1 or something, I remember seeing the corners shift with the wideouts, and was scratching my head on that.  But might as well change things up, keep the O on their toes.  Hovan played with some juice.  But the Bucs not playing a Cover 2?  Funky.

All in all, I think the Bucs could have fared better if they would have run more, even down, a run was just a good as a short pass in that game.  At least, it was in my opinion.  The balls were just fluttering out there.  Nosediving, blowing sideways...I almost had to laugh.  I think Caddy might have been able to do more damage, but hey...whatever right.  We all got to work tomorrow, life goes on...thanks GF63 for that one.  Giants fans are idiots, not so much because they run their yaps, but because they actually taunt EACH OTHER!!!  I saw a few arguments I thought were going to blow up into fights with guys leaving their seats and everything...hey.  At least they were yelling at each other, and not me...well actually...

I went to the bathroom, which is the definition of germ warfare, and actually went through the exit area.  There was no line ;), so I went through it.  I cut a guy off into the stall, and he was pissed (I would be too, but hey...you gotta go, you gotta go).  So that was strike 2.  This guy yells, "This so and so just went through the exit door, and cut me off!  And he is a BUcs fan!  I oughta kick his ass!"  Something very close to that...so I yell back, "I got a free hand available, so I wouldn't bet on that one".  I got to admit, it was low on my part to cut a guy off like that, and he had a point.  But screw it.  Whatever.  I didn't walk away mad, but he sure was "pissed". ;)

Anyway, I got to see my Bucs play, it was awesome, GO BUCS!  There is always next week.  Payback!

But really, to this moment, I am befuddled as to why Gruden would not have run the ball more.  I could have counted on both hands how many times he "Pounded the Rock".  He should change his motto to "Air the Rock", and have an empty jar displayed prominently in the lockerroom after that game.

And FWIW, that sequence in which they couldn't get 1 measly yard, in TWO tries was pitiful.  Embarrassing to say the least.  There is no excuse for that, and they should have run it with A-Train right up their gut. :-

Ah well. 

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 31, 2006, 01:47:24 AM

How were Giant fans overall... after going to Philly I never want to go to the upper east coast for a Bucs game, heard horror stories about the people up there and I lived it once... thats enough

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#2 : October 31, 2006, 01:49:05 AM

Was the A-train even there?

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 31, 2006, 01:50:31 AM

Was the A-train even there?

no someone else was wearing #40...

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#4 : October 31, 2006, 03:18:21 AM

Great synopsis of your experience Boid. Its if I were there.

Props to you.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 31, 2006, 06:08:54 AM

Oregon,
  To answer your question about Giant fans I had no problems other than the usual taunting but nothing mean spirited in my opinion NOWHERE close to Philly fans.

zellmiller

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 31, 2006, 06:59:53 AM

The A-train would make no difference on this team...hang em up with pride.

Huge ego, not a gruden guy,  doesn't use MIKE.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 31, 2006, 07:14:09 AM

Why no lead block on 3rd & 1? 

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 31, 2006, 07:20:49 AM

Boid, a great point about the wind.  Anyone who has ever played football understands how much the wind affects the trajectory of the ball.  The Giants had a bad day of holding on to the ball as well.  Ike almost lost it on the punt due to the wind.  I believe Grad looked so bad due to the fact that he was asked to throw so much into that wind.  Yes, we should have run the ball more, but we didn't and I will never know why.  The Giants stuck with the run, and although it wasn't as big of a factor as Caddy fumbling the ball, it was effective in time of possession, as well as putting them into position to throw with less to give up in the event of a pick. 
How would you rate the play of the o-line overall?

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 31, 2006, 07:29:36 AM

Great synopsis of your experience Boid. Its if I were there.

No kidding, you should write for this site on the side.   You have a captivating writing style.    Even though the game was bad, it sounds like it was a decent experience.    I always like going to the away games if for no other reason than to see how much better we have it going to the games in RJS.   It's my goal to make it to every stadium eventually.  

You were probably lucky we were losing the game though when you pulled the "in through the exit door" thing in the pisser.    It could have gotten very ugly if the Giant fans were already in a bad mood since their team was getting their ass kicked.   :)

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 31, 2006, 07:54:32 AM

Thanks for the "at the game experience" Boid....Thant was all good brother...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 31, 2006, 08:03:40 AM

Thanks Boid, sorry the Bucs couldn't pull one out. I went to Eli's first game against the Falcons up in NY. Obviously I was a Giant fan that day but the place is a dump.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 31, 2006, 09:26:39 AM

Boid, sorry you didn't get to see a win Bro  :( 

Your write up made no mention of Grads.  I know you were on his back a lot last week, and he didn't play well against the Giants.  How did you think he did considering the conditions and play calling?  And what about the 4 passes over 27 yards he had on the money?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 31, 2006, 09:41:36 AM

Offensive line looked good against a good pass rushing defense.  Trueblood looked massive, and he and Joseph looked like they were playing with their heads on a swivel.  The right side is set.  Davis played well, and I didn't notice anything bad about Mahan either.

The Giants fans are actually pretty decent, taunting but not malicious.  Got a few "Good game"s on the way out of that concrete dungeon.  It's funny, they said Giants fans are an older crowd, pretty sedate, but the Jet fans have a larger young-crowd base, and they tend to get into scraps, and verbal abuse.

Another thing is, did anyone notice how calm Gradkowski was in those weather conditions and the crowd he was facing?  He was in full command of the huddle, and never seemed to get rattled.  He slithers his way through the pocket pretty well when he has to, and once again, no turnovers on his part.  This guy DOES have a certain swagger when walking toward the huddle, and in time, he might become a QB that is deemed "a steal".  I have a feeling he will have a great game against the Saints.  Playing in Giant Stadium, in that wind, against that pass rush with that crowd SCREAMING at him had to make him grow up quick, IMO.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 31, 2006, 09:48:34 AM

Offensive line looked good against a good pass rushing defense.  Trueblood looked massive, and he and Joseph looked like they were playing with their heads on a swivel.  The right side is set.  Davis played well, and I didn't notice anything bad about Mahan either.

The Giants fans are actually pretty decent, taunting but not malicious.  Got a few "Good game"s on the way out of that concrete dungeon.  It's funny, they said Giants fans are an older crowd, pretty sedate, but the Jet fans have a larger young-crowd base, and they tend to get into scraps, and verbal abuse.

Another thing is, did anyone notice how calm Gradkowski was in those weather conditions and the crowd he was facing?  He was in full command of the huddle, and never seemed to get rattled.  He slithers his way through the pocket pretty well when he has to, and once again, no turnovers on his part.  This guy DOES have a certain swagger when walking toward the huddle, and in time, he might become a QB that is deemed "a steal".  I have a feeling he will have a great game against the Saints.  Playing in Giant Stadium, in that wind, against that pass rush with that crowd SCREAMING at him had to make him grow up quick, IMO.

great to hear about Grads. It's hard to pick up on that watching it on the tele. He was a rock and isn't phased when something bad happens. I like the way he runs the offense and by learning on the fly like this will only help.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Was at the Game. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools