Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In Defense Of Gruden (yet again) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

buckit

Hall of Famer

: October 31, 2006, 11:23:15 AM

Ok, this is all I'll say on the matter, then I'll drop the topic altogether. 

Many here have questioned Gruden's playcalling VS NYG.  Here's the skinny:

Gruden's job on game day is to call plays that get his players in a position to score points.  I feel he accomplished his task, and then some.  Here's why:

1) Gruden's playcalling gets the Bucs into FG range and Matt Bryant kicks the FG.  17-3, Giants.

2) Gruden's playcalling has Michael Clayton one on one in the endzone for what should be an easy score.  Clayton drops the ball.  Score could have been 17-10.

3) On 4th and 1 Gruden dials up a TE Post VS an all out blitz.  Becht is wide open heading toward the endzone, but Gradkowski never looks his way.  Score could have been 17-17.

4) On two occasions, Gruden dials up the long ball to Galloway.  Both are on the money, vs single coverage, both are dropped.  Assuming the Bucs get 0 yards afterwards, and miss one of the two short FG's from that field position, the score should be 20-17.

Throw in the 4th down fumble by Clayton and there could have been another FG try at least.

Hope this clears things up for the ignorant.  The playcalling was there.  But there ain't a coach in the world that can win ball games when his players don't execute.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#1 : October 31, 2006, 11:28:37 AM

Like I have said in a couple of other threads...all he can do is put his players in a position to be successful. After that it's up to the players...

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#2 : October 31, 2006, 11:31:24 AM

I don't think it is so much about playcalling as it is about balance.  I don't think this is an issue of one game.  Gruden has not committed to the run all year.  When it doesn't immediately produce early in games he goes away from it and passes heavy.  He doesn't do the same thing when the passing game is not working, he sticks with it.  With a rookie QB we need to run more.   You can disagree with that but Gruden has even admitted this team needs more balance.  He is the only one who calls the plays so he is responsible.  That doesn't mean we couldn't have won versus the Giants by passing on everydown.  It means that to be a better team we need to establish the running game.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#3 : October 31, 2006, 11:31:39 AM

good statement, players are accountable for the loss, but you do have to question some of Gruden's playcalling

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 31, 2006, 11:37:21 AM

Gruden did call up plays to help the offense in the Giants game but I do not think Gruden attacked the entire field nor did he use Grad's mobility and was not creative with Carnell with the running plays.  Gruden called the best game of this year in New Orleans.   Suprisingly that was the most explosive offense we have seen the entire year from that game.

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 31, 2006, 11:39:45 AM

if the catches are made.. we dont have this conversation..

I dont know how gruden is getting blamed period.
he did his job.. he put them in position to win.. they didnt execute.

buckit

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 31, 2006, 11:42:54 AM

good statement, players are accountable for the loss, but you do have to question some of Gruden's playcalling

No coach is going to call the right play 100% of the time.  In fact, many plays a coach calls will fizzle out.  It's just the way it is.  But in the end, the better coach is the one who calls the plays that win the game.  Even if you call 100 plays, and 99 stink, but the 100th wins the game, you're a winner.  The line is that thin.  If the players had executed the way they ARE PAID TO DO, and the Bucs come out on top 20-17, we would be talking Coach of the Year honors for Gruden about now....

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 31, 2006, 11:44:56 AM

A loss brings the clowns out in full force. The catches get made, then we might be discussing this, but it wouldn't be near as heated of a debate. Especially considering the newbies that have joined JUST to call for Gruden's head, or the clowns that only come out from under their rocks after a loss to scream "See, Gruden sucks!!".

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 31, 2006, 11:46:56 AM

But in the end, the better coach is the one who calls the plays that win the game.  

I would say this is the mark of the better O/D Coordinator.  The better coach has his team prepared and motivated to execute the plays that are called.

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

#9 : October 31, 2006, 11:55:38 AM

Look around the league, who in the hell runs the ball down two TDs?

Somebody will say Gruden panicked and went away from tthe run too early. Granted, in the second quarter with the wind at our backs we got aggressive and went down field a few times, but up until late in the second quarter we got absolutley nothing, 5 straight 3 and outs! I can't blame him for trying to jump start the offense. Those two Galloway drops were murderous and game changing. You can add to that Clayton's drop in the endzone and Caddy's fumble. Still, Gruden attempted to get the team back in the game before the half, unfortunately our receivers didn't man up. I maintain that going into the half with a tie score or down 4pts would have done wonders to the gameplan in the second half and we would have seen more rushes.

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#10 : October 31, 2006, 11:55:43 AM

we would be talking Coach of the Year honors for Gruden about now....

on this board i could see that happening by next weekend [banghead]

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : October 31, 2006, 11:56:34 AM

Using this rationale, NO coach is every accountable for their team's loss. Every coach makes four or five (or more) good calls a game that could wind up in touchdowns. The key is to make at least 10 of them and hope you cash in on half of them. If he made four or five good calls and the other 58 or 59 stunk, then he didn't have a very good day.
Sorry. Gruden's got something to prove at this point. The Bucs are 25-31 (including the playoff loss) since the Super Bowl season. This will make three losing seasons in four. The average NFL team makes the playoffs 37.5 percent of the time. You can blame cap and draft picks and the weather and everything else. We need to see IMPROVEMENT. This team has been in the bottom quarter of the league offensively too often for too long.
No coach can be exonerated for two weeks without an offensive touchdown.
If you call the play and the guy you called drops it, didn't you choose poorly by picking a guy who would drop it?

In Verner We Trust

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 31, 2006, 11:57:27 AM

A loss brings the clowns out in full force. The catches get made, then we might be discussing this, but it wouldn't be near as heated of a debate. Especially considering the newbies that have joined JUST to call for Gruden's head, or the clowns that only come out from under their rocks after a loss to scream "See, Gruden sucks!!".

you got it!

it is always easier to call someone out after the fact.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 31, 2006, 12:01:26 PM

If you call the play and the guy you called drops it, didn't you choose poorly by picking a guy who would drop it?
Lord almighty.......  [banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead] [banghead]

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

SCBUCFAN

Pro Bowler

#14 : October 31, 2006, 12:01:46 PM

Do you really think having a rookie QB throwing 48 times a game is putting the players in position to succeed over the season.  Like I said this is not just about one game.  If he doesn't establish a consistent running game this team might win some games but it won't be as good as it could be.  This isn't about bashing Gruden or calling for his head if you want to hear that your gonna have to go to one of the ridiculous threads on the red board.  It is about having a solid game plan for your team week in week out.  Sure we could have won this game but we didn't.  I am also not saying if we would have run more this week we would have won we don't know that cause we didn't run.  The Giants are a tough team and we played them on the road in bad weather so our chances weren't great going in.   I guess some of you guys are disagreeing with the guy you are defending cause Gruden has said this team needs more balance.  To examine your logic if the Giants WR wouldn't have dropped their passes they would have beat us by 30.  I guess if "ifs" were fifths we'd all be drunk.....And since when can't people have a disscusion about the game plan and its execution.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: In Defense Of Gruden (yet again) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools