Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown now « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#45 : November 01, 2006, 11:29:52 AM

If McCown is better, I want to know that now, not later when he's starting for some other team.

Rotate the reserves so they can get some experience and exposure. This season is a lost cause.

I think we have a good idea what McCown can do. With that said the QB position is not something you want to have players rotating at. You need to build continuity. What I am saying is that if the Bucs decided to play McCown the rest of the year they need to stick with him heading into next year as the starter. If Grads plays down the stretch they need to stick with him heading to next year.

They say let them battle it out but most of the time a head coach decides on who they will start in the first game of the regular season from the beggining of the off season. It is rare to see a coach start a #2 QB over a #1 on the depth chart on opening day. That is why Gruden would have never started Grads over Simms. And he never started Simms over Brad even though Brad was struggling.

To be honest I want resolution and and I want to see this QB carousel end (Brad, Griese, Simms, Grads, etc) becuase that is the major factor in the Bucs offensive woes over the years. QB is one of those positions that you can not rotate like they do in college. They might play McCown to see if he is healed but other than that I do not see him playing a whole lot.

Since McCown has yet to take even one single snap for us in a game that counts, I find it amazing that "we" have ANY idea what he can do. BTW, Gruden DID start Simms over Brad Johnson against the Saints. Griese took over when Simms was injured in the second quarter.

We now have two QBs with the potential to be the starter in '07. I believe it's a mistake to only test one in game conditions. It seems that we are going to have a top five draft choice next april. We need to know if we need to spend it on a QB or a DT. Teams rotate players when they are tired or to prevent defenses from exploiting obvious weaknesses. They already know about Gradkowski. They have yet to see anything with McCown in this offense. When McCown is ready in a few weeks, I vote give him a shot for a half. He was impressive in preseason last year. I'd like to see what he has learned in the last 14 months.

Gruden did not start Simms over Brad in the opener.  And Gruden did not start Grads over Simms in the opener either.  McCown has four games played already in his career and is just coming back from an injury.  There is nothing different to see with McCown other than to see if he is healthy.

The Bucs can NOT afford to spend a top five/ten draft pick in the first round on a QB this coming off season.  Gruden has to win next year or he may be gone.  I do not think Gruden has the time nor patience to groom another young QB and it hard to win with a rookie QB.

And again McCown brings nothing unique to the table other than he is a clone of Gradkowski.  This is what I describe as over reaction of the fans to see anybody else play QB at this point other than Grads.

Grads in his first four games is superior than McCown and deserves to finish out the year as the starter and head into next year as the starter.  If not and the Bucs play QB carousel as you suggest Gruden should be fired!!!!

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#46 : November 01, 2006, 11:33:41 AM

If McCown is better, I want to know that now, not later when he's starting for some other team.

Rotate the reserves so they can get some experience and exposure. This season is a lost cause.

I think we have a good idea what McCown can do. With that said the QB position is not something you want to have players rotating at. You need to build continuity. What I am saying is that if the Bucs decided to play McCown the rest of the year they need to stick with him heading into next year as the starter. If Grads plays down the stretch they need to stick with him heading to next year.

They say let them battle it out but most of the time a head coach decides on who they will start in the first game of the regular season from the beggining of the off season. It is rare to see a coach start a #2 QB over a #1 on the depth chart on opening day. That is why Gruden would have never started Grads over Simms. And he never started Simms over Brad even though Brad was struggling.

To be honest I want resolution and and I want to see this QB carousel end (Brad, Griese, Simms, Grads, etc) becuase that is the major factor in the Bucs offensive woes over the years. QB is one of those positions that you can not rotate like they do in college. They might play McCown to see if he is healed but other than that I do not see him playing a whole lot.

Since McCown has yet to take even one single snap for us in a game that counts, I find it amazing that "we" have ANY idea what he can do. BTW, Gruden DID start Simms over Brad Johnson against the Saints. Griese took over when Simms was injured in the second quarter.

We now have two QBs with the potential to be the starter in '07. I believe it's a mistake to only test one in game conditions. It seems that we are going to have a top five draft choice next april. We need to know if we need to spend it on a QB or a DT. Teams rotate players when they are tired or to prevent defenses from exploiting obvious weaknesses. They already know about Gradkowski. They have yet to see anything with McCown in this offense. When McCown is ready in a few weeks, I vote give him a shot for a half. He was impressive in preseason last year. I'd like to see what he has learned in the last 14 months.

Gruden did not start Simms over Brad in the opener. And Gruden did not start Grads over Simms in the opener either. McCown has four games played already in his career and is just coming back from an injury. There is nothing different to see with McCown other than to see if he is healthy.

The Bucs can NOT afford to spend a top five/ten draft pick in the first round on a QB this coming off season. Gruden has to win next year or he may be gone. I do not think Gruden has the time nor patience to groom another young QB and it hard to win with a rookie QB.

And again McCown brings nothing unique to the table other than he is a clone of Gradkowski. This is what I describe as over reaction of the fans to see anybody else play QB at this point other than Grads.

Grads in his first four games is superior than McCown and deserves to finish out the year as the starter and head into next year as the starter. If not and the Bucs play QB carousel as you suggest Gruden should be fired!!!!

The Bucs can clearly afford to use a 1st round pick on a QB, it's Gruden that cannot.  There's a difference.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#47 : November 01, 2006, 11:43:20 AM

Gruden did not start Simms over Brad in the opener. And Gruden did not start Grads over Simms in the opener either. McCown has four games played already in his career and is just coming back from an injury. There is nothing different to see with McCown other than to see if he is healthy.

The Bucs can NOT afford to spend a top five/ten draft pick in the first round on a QB this coming off season. Gruden has to win next year or he may be gone. I do not think Gruden has the time nor patience to groom another young QB and it hard to win with a rookie QB.

And again McCown brings nothing unique to the table other than he is a clone of Gradkowski. This is what I describe as over reaction of the fans to see anybody else play QB at this point other than Grads.

Grads in his first four games is superior than McCown and deserves to finish out the year as the starter and head into next year as the starter. If not and the Bucs play QB carousel as you suggest Gruden should be fired!!!!

The Bucs can clearly afford to use a 1st round pick on a QB, it's Gruden that cannot.  There's a difference.

And again a first round QB does not solve the woes of the offense nor the team as whole even if Gruden is not here.  People are complaining about Grads/Simms' play and yet it will be just the same with a first round QB.

Rookie QB's/young QB's makes mistakes. 

And I do believe Simms and Grads have the tools to be starters in this league. 

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#48 : November 01, 2006, 11:48:52 AM

And again a first round QB does not solve the woes of the offense nor the team as whole even if Gruden is not here.  People are complaining about Grads/Simms' play and yet it will be just the same with a first round QB.

Rookie QB's/young QB's makes mistakes. 

And I do believe Simms and Grads have the tools to be starters in this league. 

No top 10 pick is going to solve the woes of this team.  Should we just not pick any postions?  I'm aware that a 1st round QB will struggle, but there will be hope for the years after that.  I guess it all boils down to the fact that I do not believe Grads has the tools to be a starter in this league.  Simms I don't think is relevant, because I don't think he'll be back next season anyway.

P.S.  With as much money as we have in free agency, I think Gruden can pick a QB and still retain his job.  The free agents should improve the team enough to show that we are on the upswing once the QB gets it.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#49 : November 01, 2006, 01:09:06 PM

No top 10 pick is going to solve the woes of this team. 

Caddy got us to the play offs in his rookie year.  ;)

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#50 : November 01, 2006, 05:31:26 PM

I expect our starting QB next year to be Favre or some other veteran player. That said I still would like to see McCown in a real game when he is ready. It makes no sense at all to trade for a player at a need position, and  not allow him the opportunity to fulfill that need. There is a possibility that he is more accurate and of course we all already know McCown has a stronger arm. Gruden's QBs here have a tendency to get progressively worse after peaking. Gradkowski peaked in his first two starts. I'm curious to see if McCown can break that trend.

Simms started when BJ was benched for poor performance in the last half of '03 and the first quarter of '04. Replacing a veteran starter is not done very often by any coach. Gradkowski is not a veteran and hardly qualifies as a starter since he got the job by default. Let him earn his position by an honest and open competition for the job.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#51 : November 01, 2006, 05:46:49 PM

I expect our starting QB next year to be Favre or some other veteran player. That said I still would like to see McCown in a real game when he is ready. It makes no sense at all to trade for a player at a need position, and  not allow him the opportunity to fulfill that need. There is a possibility that he is more accurate and of course we all already know McCown has a stronger arm. Gruden's QBs here have a tendency to get progressively worse after peaking. Gradkowski peaked in his first two starts. I'm curious to see if McCown can break that trend.

Simms started when BJ was benched for poor performance in the last half of '03 and the first quarter of '04. Replacing a veteran starter is not done very often by any coach. Gradkowski is not a veteran and hardly qualifies as a starter since he got the job by default. Let him earn his position by an honest and open competition for the job.

Favre? If Favre is the starting QB next year stick a fork in the Bucs and print out Jon Gruden's plane ticket out of Tampa.  It makes sense at the time to trade for Luke but things change and situations change.  McCown will not be anymore accurate nor throw less picks than what Gradkowski has demonstrated.  McCown's arm strength in my opinion is not stronger than Grads.  There is a reason while Luke McCown is on a team with an offense that mainly about a short passing attack while his brother Josh is in an offense that is about vertical passing (Martz).  Gradkowksi has peaked in four games played?  He is a rookie?

Yes Simms started when Brad was benched but we all saw how Simms outplayed Brad in training camp and pre season.  But yet Brad retained the job heading into that year on opening day.  This year Simms was not playing all too well in the pre season but Grads was.  And yet Simms retained the starting job heading into the year on opening day.

Gradkowski is a rookie and he earned the job as a starter by earning the #2 spot. 

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#52 : November 01, 2006, 06:01:02 PM

Caddy got us to the play offs in his rookie year. ;)

That wasn't this team.  The D could still play back then.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#53 : November 01, 2006, 06:03:04 PM

Caddy got us to the play offs in his rookie year. ;)

That wasn't this team.  The D could still play back then.

The D gave up about 17 ppg last season, now they are averaging 20 ppg, and that is after facing two or three of the best Os in the NFL.  The D has dropped off a little but statistically they are still OK.

gharen

Pro Bowler

#54 : November 01, 2006, 06:10:43 PM

I can't believe I'm even responding to you, but Karen, please enlighten me to what teams have made the playoffs every year? I'm going to go watch Martha Stewert on HGTV while you look up that answer.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#55 : November 01, 2006, 06:18:05 PM

gharen,

Don't question her. She says she knows football.

So if she says a team goes to the playoffs every year, then that must be true.

I just don't remeber who that is. Getting old you know. Memory lapse.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: McCown now « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools