Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Try Hovan at UT next year? « previous next »
Page: 1

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
: November 02, 2006, 12:10:25 PM

I could see this if we drafted a larger, dominating NT. For example, if we picked up Alan Branch out of Michigan (who compares favorably to John Henderson IMO), he would be much better suited than the typical Bucs NT to handle double teams, meaning we could get by with less-than-elite UT talent by platooning Wyms and Hovan. This would be a departure from our traditional DT style, but I believe it could be effective.

Thats good idea IMO. Rotating Wyms and Hovan at the UT spot and Hovan and a first day picked NT would give us better pass rush up the middle I think.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

BucFanMatt

Starter
#1 : November 01, 2006, 06:14:22 PM

When the Bucs picked up Hovan last year, I thought he seemed more of a natural fit at Under Tackle.  However, I understood that McFarland had a lock on the position because of his contract.  Now that McFarland is gone, I wonder if the Bucs won't put Hovan at UT to compete with Wyms next training camp. Then they can bring in somebody a bit bigger at NT that can soak up blockers and free up whoever is at UT to get to the passer. 

Obviously, neither Wyms nor Hovan are going to be mistaken for a young Warren Sapp, but I think they could be effective in Platoon especially if we get a bit stronger at the Nose Tackle position.  They both seem to be high motor guys that would probably thrive on the competition.  Of course, all this is moot if they can land a really good UT prospect through the draft or Free Agency, but I suspect it might be easier to upgrade the Nose tackle than the Under Tackle.  Any thoughts?

\"Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither\" -- Benjamin Franklin

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 01, 2006, 06:20:51 PM

Well I did see on a few plays Hovan playing undertackle so I can not really dismiss the possibility.  With that said Wyms had at least one sack in the last three games playing at UT.

It is easier to find a NT compared to an UT by a great degree.  I mean look at Bradely who the Bucs picked up off the street recently to rotate in on some downs.  He is already producing as much as the highly regarded Booger McFarand. 

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 01, 2006, 06:49:33 PM

I could see this if we drafted a larger, dominating NT.  For example, if we picked up Alan Branch out of Michigan (who compares favorably to John Henderson IMO), he would be much better suited than the typical Bucs NT to handle double teams, meaning we could get by with less-than-elite UT talent by platooning Wyms and Hovan.  This would be a departure from our traditional DT style, but I believe it could be effective.

LVBUC

Practice Squad

#4 : November 02, 2006, 10:23:43 AM

Hovan left MIN because he was a flop at UT. He was their version of McF. He's found his best spot, much as McF was at his best spot before the move, and we best leave him there and be happy we've filled that spot.

Hovan had  the best year of his career at the UT spot.  2002 52 tackels and 6 sacks.

Groovatron

Pro Bowler

#5 : November 02, 2006, 09:01:28 AM

IMO Hovan has been the bright light of the DL this year. I thought he had a real good game last week. I'd leave him at the position where he's been successful.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 02, 2006, 09:05:24 AM

Hovan left MIN because he was a flop at UT. He was their version of McF. He's found his best spot, much as McF was at his best spot before the move, and we best leave him there and be happy we've filled that spot.

Agreed, but I would like to see them flip flop on a situational basis only because he's got such a high motor and he's played to position.  At this point what do we have to lose?

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 02, 2006, 10:32:05 AM

Hovan was not a poor UT in Minnessotta.  What happened is they switched to a two gap scheme.  Not to mention a rookie that was phenomenal in Kevin Williams.  Hovan lost his desire to play UT/NT or any football in general in Minnessotta.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 02, 2006, 01:36:39 PM

Hovan was not a poor UT in Minnessotta.  What happened is they switched to a two gap scheme.  Not to mention a rookie that was phenomenal in Kevin Williams.  Hovan lost his desire to play UT/NT or any football in general in Minnessotta.

Yes, Hovan quit but he quit when it became obvious that he couldn't man the position. If something is hard it is best not to even try appeared to be his motto. He's got that motivation back but he's got nothing as a pass rusher from the NT spot and good god even McF could get some pressure from that spot.  We've got something good at NT why do we want to monkey with that? Wyms is doing fine at UT. The DT spot, right now, looks like it is a "needs depth" not "needs a starter" type spot.

Hovan was benched when he was playing NT for the Vikes. 

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 02, 2006, 01:41:07 PM

I agree with dal.  If it aint broke, dont fix it.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 02, 2006, 01:42:54 PM

I agree with dal.  If it aint broke, dont fix it.

you came all the way to Tampa to post on PR....GO TO THE BEACH.   ;)

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 02, 2006, 01:43:59 PM

LOL... I am not a beach guy, probably has alot to do with being a new englander... im just hanging tight till the event at RJS this afternoon... i sent you an email btw

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Try Hovan at UT next year? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools