Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The inside on the buenning situation « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#15 : November 01, 2006, 10:10:07 PM

Hmmm Trueblood, Joseph, Mahan Buenning and Davis on the OL - not sure if that would be a great OL although with no "franchise" LT's as free agents or in the draft this year it does open the possibility that we draft some very talented defensive players this year.  I still think we need another stud WR as Galloway is getting up there in age as is Hilliard and I think we are solid with Clayton and Stovall.  Maybe this will be a heavy draft on the defensive side as I could see Rice, Spires, Nece, Phillips and Allen all being replaced next year.  I still think with Brian Kelly and Ronde our CB's will be solid as not much of a Nate Clements fan.  Maybe we sign Lance Briggs and have him, Shelton and Derrick as our LB's or maybe Winborn makes enough plays but DL and safety all need to be upgraded big time.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 01, 2006, 10:12:45 PM

Nice scoop ... Good to hear it is an injury [kinda] rather than a really bad decision by keeping Mahan in there. Guess the only question left is who's wife did Terry sleep with?

I was told Mahan is hands down our center for next year, so at this point from the teams standpoint it makes alot more sense to let Sean take his lumps now rather than play Jeb who is slightly better, but really just a stopgap who probably doesnt have a future with the team.

Makes sense if that's the case, but why not put Mahan in at C (where he can make the line calls) and play Terry at LG?  In any event, glad to see the future of the line coming together.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#17 : November 01, 2006, 10:12:56 PM

Chucky, my two sons would probably give away every food item in our house for a few autographs, so we'll see.  :)

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 01, 2006, 10:28:57 PM

this is why I love coming to tampa... I know a great guy who feeds me all kinds of goodies everytime I come down.  Hopefully I can meet some of you guys at the food drive tomorrow.

BTW-- The bucs are going to make a huge push for Nate Clements and/or Lance Briggs. One of those guys will be a buc next year.

we certainly will have the cash to be a major player in FA.  I think Clements is probably the higher priority, considering BK's lingering helath and contract issues and the fact that we tried to deal Booger for Clements so we are obviously interested. 

I like Briggs but as much as Brooks is slowing down I cant see us yanking the carpet out from underneath him like that.  I think we'll sign Clements, cut or deal BK and draft a WLB to groom under Brooks for at least a year (like Ruud and Quarles).  That way its clear that the torch will be passing soon yet the change will be more gradual then signing a splashy FA replacement.  Brooks would then get his swan song and the rookie WLB would get to serve an apprenticeship under Brooks to gain experience for that final year or so. 

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 01, 2006, 10:42:34 PM

This same guy told me not to be surprised if Winborn is brooks eventual replacement.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#20 : November 01, 2006, 10:48:41 PM

My only question if he is hurt at this point why isnt he on the injury report?

Orangegone1

Starter

#21 : November 01, 2006, 10:52:01 PM

If Mahan can't push anyone off the ball at LG, what indication is there that he can make a push at C. We have no push up the middle and thus no chance to run. At least last year we could run to the left side with Buenning. The only running plays that really have worked this year are delay or draw plays where lanes open up. I don't think our C for next year is on the roster this year. JMO

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 01, 2006, 10:57:08 PM

If Mahan can't push anyone off the ball at LG, what indication is there that he can make a push at C. We have no push up the middle and thus no chance to run. At least last year we could run to the left side with Buenning. The only running plays that really have worked this year are delay or draw plays where lanes open up. I don't think our C for next year is on the roster this year. JMO

The blocking assignments are different from LG to C.  Mahan is good in space as he showed last year on plays where he pulled he was most effective IMO.  As a C, most of the time you dont have a DL lineup over you, so that gives him a chance to play in space a little more, going out to get backers, things of the sort.  Hes a sharp guy so hes ideal in that C spot and if you can afford to hide a weak blocker anywhere on your OL most of the time its at C. 

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#23 : November 01, 2006, 11:15:50 PM

So why wouldn't he be on the injury report? I believe this story, but wonder why the Bucs would lie about his injury.

watson

Hall of Famer
#24 : November 02, 2006, 08:18:13 AM

Man, that's bad news. It's good to know there was a solid reason, though. And since he's not in the doghouse we won't have to worry about him for next year.
They guy I spoke with is very knowledgable and said that Buenning is a guy that Gruden loves and thinks very highly of. There is no internal problems, gruden just doesnt want it to get worse, it needs to heal properly and with this type of injury the only way to achieve this is rest. Kind of surprising though that Dan lied to get back on the field.
ICIT,
Great info....thanks.  Regarding the lie, it tells me he really wants to play and will do whatever it takes to get back on the field.  That to me is a plus since most of the time players are nicked up all season long and he is not going to let an injury that stand in the way of trying to win.

Not surprised about the Winborn info.  After the draft Gruden talked about how pleased they were with him and his potential for the team.  The only thing that is surprising is that he has not been active on game days.  Does he have some kind of incentive clause in his contract that would make him too expensive?

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 02, 2006, 08:46:31 AM

Nice Scoop Chucky, Scott alluded to it last night as well...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#26 : November 02, 2006, 09:16:26 AM

Great scoop and makes a great deal of sense.  Buenning is much better than Mahan and it seemed very unlikely he could have regressed to Mahan's level.

I don't see Wade as a better blocker than Mahan, so no dropoff if he moves to C in terms of blocking and push. 

I think that line is one we can build off for years to come.

Ft. Myers Buc Fan

Practice Squad

#27 : November 02, 2006, 09:43:57 AM

You gotta love the fact that Buenning lied about his injury to get back on the field.  That shows not only the toughness we want on an Offensive Lineman but also the passion to want to play through a painful injury

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#28 : November 02, 2006, 09:55:13 AM

You gotta love the fact that Buenning lied about his injury to get back on the field.  That shows not only the toughness we want on an Offensive Lineman but also the passion to want to play through a painful injury

Gruden loves that. That's why JJ fell out of favor, he didn't want to play unless he considered himself 100% or very close to it. Staff and some teammates (especially those playing hurt) felt that wasn't right approach.

BucsNBullsBaby

Second String

#29 : November 02, 2006, 09:56:30 AM

Buennings ankle is hurt bad. He actually misled the staff when he came back, saying he was fine. Gruden pulled him aside after reviewing his play for those 2 games and said you need to take a seat till youre all better. Its a fairly serious high ankle sprain. Cant reveal the source, but thats the lowdown on dan, straight from the top.

Well damn ICIT.  You've ruined the whole Buening/Mahan conspiracy theory involving aliens, a second shooter on the knoll and hanging chads.  Now we'll have to find some other issue to post our opinions on.  

No wait, I've got it, Gruden is being mind-controlled during games by Clyde Christianson!
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The inside on the buenning situation « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools