Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gradkowski v. Simms When They Miss « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #30 : November 03, 2006, 09:41:56 AM »

One of the things that has been said by many commentators is that it usually takes a young QB until his 3rd year in a system to really fully grasp it so the game slows down and he starts to see the entire field and makes the read progressions that are needed.  I expect Grads to struggle the rest of this year and show improvement next year...but still struggle and then show what he can really do by year 3.

That is true but Grads is way ahead of the 'normal' curve.  He shouldn't have even been the back-up this season but he impressed enough to win the job.  Now he is seeing plenty of NFL action a few months into his NFL career, and he is doing an OK job.  He will struggle and learn this season, but I expect him to be a decent QB by next year. 

watson

Hall of Famer
« #31 : November 03, 2006, 09:48:09 AM »

One of the things that has been said by many commentators is that it usually takes a young QB until his 3rd year in a system to really fully grasp it so the game slows down and he starts to see the entire field and makes the read progressions that are needed.  I expect Grads to struggle the rest of this year and show improvement next year...but still struggle and then show what he can really do by year 3.

That is true but Grads is way ahead of the 'normal' curve. He shouldn't have even been the back-up this season but he impressed enough to win the job. Now he is seeing plenty of NFL action a few months into his NFL career, and he is doing an OK job. He will struggle and learn this season, but I expect him to be a decent QB by next year.

Don't disagree that he will be good next year, but I look for him to really show improvement after next year.  It is true that he has shown a lot more potential that many rookies have shown and that may accelerate that time table.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

Garv

Hall of Famer
« #32 : November 03, 2006, 12:26:58 PM »

Another reason to want him to succeed is not having to draft a first day QB next April and start anew.....again!

Oh, no doubt, that would be huge. The upside of having to only invest an R6 pick in a starting QB when most teams have to spend ( often several) R1 type picks would be enormous because then we can pick some other spot that will likely help the team more immediately AND we've got a QB with a year under his belt. Big time win on the opportunity cost front.

The truth? I think Jon Gruden is banking on Grads being the man. I don't think he can afford another year of training a rookie we get in the draft. Not only do we lose a first day pick at one of many needed positions but we'll be starting slow going with a rookie at QB. And what FA QB is out there who could help immediately as a starter?
Jon Gruden, NEEDS to win next season to keep his job. I think he will and I believe Gradkowski's success will help him achieve that. That's what I WANT to believe anyway! LOL

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #33 : November 03, 2006, 01:32:43 PM »

That is true but Grads is way ahead of the 'normal' curve. He shouldn't have even been the back-up this season but he impressed enough to win the job...

Random thoughts..

This was a good situation for that to happen, what with the backups we had to begin with. In places like Atlanta, Dallas or Jaxsonville, he never sees the field this year..

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #34 : November 03, 2006, 01:37:40 PM »

That is true but Grads is way ahead of the 'normal' curve. He shouldn't have even been the back-up this season but he impressed enough to win the job...

Random thoughts..

This was a good situation for that to happen, what with the backups we had to begin with. In places like Atlanta, Dallas or Jaxsonville, he never sees the field this year.

There were some at One Buc that though Grads did enough to be considered for the starting spot on day one, so don’t presume he wouldn’t have challenged with other teams.

They had decent back-ups in McCown, and Ratty, not many teams have two guys with NFL experience on the bench.  When McCown went down injured they brought Fieldler in, so they hardly neglected the back up QB spot IMO.

Sometimes you just have to play the cards your dealt and hope for the best.

gharen

Pro Bowler

« #35 : November 03, 2006, 01:50:44 PM »

Anyone who was a fan back in the 80's should be horrified of just the thought of us drafting a QB in the first round. It seemed like every 2 to 3 years all we had to look forward to was who is the top QB in college for us to draft. Look how well all those guys worked out for us.

Garv

Hall of Famer
« #36 : November 03, 2006, 01:58:06 PM »

BRING IN THE FEIDLER CRAB!!!
THERE'S the answer to 2-5! LOL

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #37 : November 03, 2006, 02:01:34 PM »

There were some at One Buc that though Grads did enough to be considered for the starting spot on day one, so don’t presume he wouldn’t have challenged with other teams.

They had decent back-ups in McCown, and Ratty, not many teams have two guys with NFL experience on the bench. When McCown went down injured they brought Fieldler in, so they hardly neglected the back up QB spot IMO.

Sometimes you just have to play the cards your dealt and hope for the best.

As far as the teams I mentioned, McCown, Rattay and Fiedler couldn't hold Romo, Gerrard or Shaubs jocks. There would be actual competition there for Grads to face..

But he could've competed in a few places, sure..

I agree with the cards thing, but there's a a lot of questions that come to mind with the way Gruden is playing them.

The biggest being, what identity does Gruden want for this offense? Run or pass?

Personally, I hope he's training Grads to be the steward of a future strong running offense.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #38 : November 03, 2006, 02:03:04 PM »

we really don't know what McCown can do in this offense yet.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #39 : November 03, 2006, 02:10:57 PM »

There's a reason for that.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #40 : November 03, 2006, 02:13:03 PM »

Apparently McCown was on course to challenge for the starters spot in training camp this year.  He would almost certainly be starting now if he hadn’t blown his knee.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #41 : November 03, 2006, 02:16:12 PM »

Apparently McCown was on course to challenge for the starters spot in training camp this year. He would almost certainly be starting now if he hadn’t blown his knee.

Am I to assume you think he would beat out Grads? That would be an interesting paradox, huh?

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #42 : November 03, 2006, 02:17:33 PM »

Am I to assume you think he would beat out Grads? That would be an interesting paradox, huh?

No, apparently he would have been cometing with Simms in TC.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #43 : November 03, 2006, 02:28:57 PM »

When you said "He would almost certainly be starting now if he hadn’t blown his knee", do you mean he would've beat out Simms?

That in turn means that he would've beat out Grads, which lends itself to the theory that once McCown comes back, Grads is done...

spin... spin... spin...

karen anderson

Practice Squad

« #44 : November 04, 2006, 02:30:51 AM »

I think Gradkowski explodes this week.

What, like spontaneous combustion ??? that will be fun to watch. ;D
I think Chucky's head explodes.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gradkowski v. Simms When They Miss « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools