Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Troy Smith « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: November 02, 2006, 05:27:01 PM

I sincerely hope we don't use a draft pick on Smith.  I think we'll see a new player, though, whether it's a FA pickup like Tui (least likely), or a cut/traded player like Plummer or Carr.

BucfaninDC

Starter

#1 : November 02, 2006, 05:23:32 PM

Posted this on the insider board, meant to post it here:

Who thinks he won't be a Buc next year?  The way the season is going, Bucs have a definite top 10 pick, and possibly a top 5 pick.  Gruden loves QBs and has brought a new QB (either draft/free agency) in all but 1 season as a head coach.

1998 - Bobby Hoying
1999 - Gannon
2000 - might be only year
2001 - Tui
2002 to Present - Rob Johnson, Griese, McCown, Rattay, Grads, etc.

Even when Gannon was putting up pro-bowl numbers, Gruden still spent a 2nd round pick on Tui.  As my hardcore Raider fan friend always tells me since Tui didn't pan out, even with other needs, Gruden took a QB.  To me, that means he took what he considered the BAP at that draft spot.  The only team I really see taking a QB in the first round that might pick ahead of the Bucs is Detroit.  Surprisingly, Raiders are happy with Walter even with his sad numbers.  Apparently, they think its just the o-line.  Other than that, Browns have Frye, Cardinals(Lienart), Titans (Young), Houston (Carr), Pitt (Big Ben), Miami (Culpepper), San Fran(Smith), Washington (Campbell). 

Going into the draft, the QB position will likely look like this:

Grads
McCown
Allen (somehow he is always on the roster in the offseason)

If Troy is on the board when its Tampa's time to pick, does anyone really think Gruden will leave him there?  He fits Gruden's type, quick release, can run, strong arm and accurate.  Should Gruden bypass him if he's available?  I know I saw some posts stating they would like to see Brunell in here as a veteran backup.  I don't see him fitting Gruden's offense.  Here in Washington they keep saying he doesn't fit the new offense system which requires many quick releases and timing patterns.  Brunell isn't playing well in it b/c he holds the ball too long, and ends up just checking down to his backs. 

Aside from that, I dont see the FO passing up Troy Smith if he's on the board.   As much as I would rather see defense in the first round, even I couldn't see not drafting him if he was available. 

psymun

Starter
#2 : November 02, 2006, 05:45:48 PM

He's skyrocketing up draft boards, and the Bucs have far bigger needs than to spend a top 10 pick on a QB... If we had an OLD QB, then yah, we would probably jump on it... but since we have a 23 year old and a 26 yr. old at QB, we don't need more youth... I agree with bradentonian... Plummer or Carr are very likely... as well as Jeff Garcia...

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 02, 2006, 05:47:13 PM

I hope we dont spend any pick on a QB, but if Bruce plays poorly for the rest of the year then someone like Brady Quinn or Troy Smith will look pretty tempting.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 02, 2006, 06:07:03 PM

Defense!

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 02, 2006, 06:19:33 PM

I sure hope in he _ _ they don't.  I'd hate to waste another pick, plus we need defense.  Defense wins championships baby.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 02, 2006, 07:22:54 PM

Defense wins championships?  Oh crap why didn't somebody tell me that?

Sincerely,

Tony Dungy
Coach of #1 offense and a defense thats doing a #2.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 02, 2006, 07:26:27 PM

Gruden is high on Grads and McCown, so it is unlikely they would draft a rookie.  They don't have time to give another young QB a year to make mistakes, and the $30-40 million contract would be a waste as well.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 02, 2006, 07:32:51 PM

Defense wins championships?  Oh crap why didn't somebody tell me that?

Sincerely,

Tony Dungy
Coach of #1 offense and a defense thats doing a #2.

Perfect example of an Amazing that goes from first to worst in the playoffs. playoffs? Playoffs? .... Play-offs?

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#9 : November 02, 2006, 07:48:34 PM

I sincerely hope we don't use a draft pick on Smith. I think we'll see a new player, though, whether it's a FA pickup like Tui (least likely), or a cut/traded player like Plummer or Carr.

Plummer or Carr would start here, so why would we get them as veteran backups?  Unlikely there.  I want D with that first pick.  If there's not a big name D player there, then we can trade it for another 2nd rounder and a first.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 02, 2006, 09:31:33 PM

Really sounds like Gruden is looking for a new QB, NOT:

Another reason the rookie quarterback should feel more comfortable is because of the vote of confidence he continues to get from Gruden. On Thursday, Gruden said Gradkowski is “going to be the quarterback here, it looks like, for some time.”

“We’re very excited about Bruce’s progress,” Gruden added. “If we knew he was this good, we wouldn’t have waited around to the sixth round [to draft him].

“He is going to do some really good things before it’s all said and done.”

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#11 : November 02, 2006, 09:55:13 PM

Really sounds like Gruden is looking for a new QB, NOT:

Another reason the rookie quarterback should feel more comfortable is because of the vote of confidence he continues to get from Gruden. On Thursday, Gruden said Gradkowski is “going to be the quarterback here, it looks like, for some time.”

“We’re very excited about Bruce’s progress,” Gruden added. “If we knew he was this good, we wouldn’t have waited around to the sixth round [to draft him].

“He is going to do some really good things before it’s all said and done.”

Gruden is a motivator.  I don't think you are going to hear him tell the media, "This guy is struggling.  He sucks.  He better get better or we are going to draft a new guy."

Gruden obviously has a man crush on Grads though, so maybe we won't.  But we would be dumb not to be looking, although I don't like Smith all that much as of right now.....

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 02, 2006, 10:04:49 PM

If Troy Smith drops to the 3rd/4th round I can see the Bucs taking a shot at him.  And he will drop becuase of the lack of height he has.  The only way he rises up on the draft boards is if he has an incredible pro day.

With that said Brohm, Stanton, and Quinn all make it highly unlikely Smith ends up a 1st round pick and as I mentioned the lack of heigh will drop him.  Personally a QB being judged by their height is kind of silly in my opinion but some scouts do not see it that way.

TbayBucs

Pro Bowler

#13 : November 02, 2006, 10:05:35 PM

If The Bucs pick a QB in the draft;  It will be the one playing on ESPN right now ...

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 02, 2006, 10:06:11 PM

The problem with Brohm is that he has a hard time staying healthy. 
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Troy Smith « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools