Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Troy Smith « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 02, 2006, 10:08:03 PM

I sincerely hope we don't use a draft pick on Smith. I think we'll see a new player, though, whether it's a FA pickup like Tui (least likely), or a cut/traded player like Plummer or Carr.

Plummer or Carr would start here, so why would we get them as veteran backups? Unlikely there. I want D with that first pick. If there's not a big name D player there, then we can trade it for another 2nd rounder and a first.

I never said it would be as a backup.  I think there will be competition in camp.

T

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 02, 2006, 11:16:54 PM

My crystal ball says the Bucs draft Calvin Johnson with the #3 pick in the draft.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#17 : November 02, 2006, 11:22:09 PM

If Troy Smith drops to the 3rd/4th round I can see the Bucs taking a shot at him. And he will drop becuase of the lack of height he has. The only way he rises up on the draft boards is if he has an incredible pro day.

With that said Brohm, Stanton, and Quinn all make it highly unlikely Smith ends up a 1st round pick and as I mentioned the lack of heigh will drop him. Personally a QB being judged by their height is kind of silly in my opinion but some scouts do not see it that way.

I agree.  Rex Grossman is on his way in proving that height doesn't matter.....

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 02, 2006, 11:32:46 PM

If Troy Smith drops to the 3rd/4th round I can see the Bucs taking a shot at him. And he will drop becuase of the lack of height he has. The only way he rises up on the draft boards is if he has an incredible pro day.

With that said Brohm, Stanton, and Quinn all make it highly unlikely Smith ends up a 1st round pick and as I mentioned the lack of heigh will drop him. Personally a QB being judged by their height is kind of silly in my opinion but some scouts do not see it that way.

I agree.  Rex Grossman is on his way in proving that height doesn't matter.....

Throw Brees into the mix as well.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 02, 2006, 11:51:03 PM

If the Bucs can't get it done with Grads, well, I would say hell yeah to Troy Smith.

He would be the PERFECT fit for the WCO, if his head is in it, that is.

And if Grads doesn't get the job done, or show more signs of improvement, it is no big deal.  He was a sixth rounder.

Buc76

Rookie

#20 : November 03, 2006, 12:45:43 AM

If he continues to play at his current level, if he has an outstanding game against Michigan, and if he's the star of the BCS Championship Game, Gruden will be tempted.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#21 : November 03, 2006, 07:36:30 AM

If Quinn is available when the Bucs pick, they will take him.  Is this really even a debate?  Gruden is an offensive coach, and his offense is built off strong play by the QB.  Quinn is the best QB prospect in this draft, and a great fit for the WCO.  He has had a professional coach mentoring him.

Quinn will be a Buc next year if his name is there when we pick.  You can quote me on that.

BucfaninDC

Starter

#22 : November 03, 2006, 07:49:36 AM

If the Bucs can't get it done with Grads, well, I would say hell yeah to Troy Smith.

He would be the PERFECT fit for the WCO, if his head is in it, that is.

And if Grads doesn't get the job done, or show more signs of improvement, it is no big deal.  He was a sixth rounder.

That's what worries me about Grads.  His play has been slowly declining since his first game against the Saints.  I think a big part of that is there is more game film on him.  Against the Saints there was really nothing for teams to watch, except Preseason against base defenses.  The more film there is on him, the easier teams have been able to exploit his weaknesses, hence his slow decline.  If it continues downward, I dont see how the starting job could not be an open competition next year. 
As much as Gruden loves Grads, I think he has a bigger man-crush on McNabb.  And I think Smith, aside from the height, closely resembles McNabb in their game play.  Being able to make a clutch play when needed.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#23 : November 03, 2006, 09:18:32 AM

That's what worries me about Grads.  His play has been slowly declining since his first game against the Saints.  I think a big part of that is there is more game film on him. 

Game tape is useless right now because he hasn't really settled down and there isn't a playing pattern yet.  Against the Saints he rolled out of the pocket and made some crisp passes.  The reason his stats have declined a little in the last two games might be something to do with playing two VERY good pass rushing defenses.  Take the Eagles for instance, they have made some good QBs look pretty bad; Favre rating 44 2ints; Bledsoe 33 rating 3 ints).

Once there is enough game tape to really see how he plays the D coordinators will be able to key in on his weaknesses.  We saw Simms struggle this year because everyone knew where to attack him.

BTW - Grads will be the QB in Tampa next year IMO.

Garv

Hall of Famer
#24 : November 03, 2006, 09:34:19 AM

Defense!

God I hope so. And that Gradkowski succeeds enough this year to be the man next year hands down.
DEFENSE first in the draft and FA.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#25 : November 03, 2006, 09:38:58 AM

Defense!

God I hope so. And that Gradkowski succeeds enough this year to be the man next year hands down.
DEFENSE first in the draft and FA.

If Grads nails the starters job down and they think mahan can be the future center, then the only O player I would like to see on day one is a FB to replace Alstott.

T

Hall of Famer

#26 : November 03, 2006, 11:59:28 AM

Give me Quinn or Smith over Grads and his current play anyday. I don't think that Quinn would fit the dink and dunk West Coast Offense very well at all. I say Calvin Johnson with the #3 pick.

gharen

Pro Bowler

#27 : November 03, 2006, 11:52:19 AM

Grads will be the QB in 07! I'd rather have Brohm than Smith or Quinn.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#28 : November 03, 2006, 01:19:44 PM

Give me Quinn or Smith over Grads and his current play anyday. I don't think that Quinn would fit the dink and dunk West Coast Offense very well at all. I say Calvin Johnson with the #3 pick.

We are currently in 12th in the draft race because of our schedule.  The chances are we will pick between 7-10 IMO.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#29 : November 03, 2006, 01:56:50 PM

Although I don't think Gradkowski could stink it up enough to pick a QB in the 1st round, we'll be taking one somewhere in the draft. You can bet your money on that. If we don't take one in the draft, we are going to be signing a vet FA to compete for the job. That's just how Gruden works. My guess is we draft a QB though.

I think we'll either go Calvin Johnson or DE with our 1st round pick. It all depends on who is there and when we pick.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Troy Smith « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools