Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I'll probably be flammed for this « previous next »
Page: 1 2

T

Hall of Famer

« : November 07, 2006, 02:07:11 PM »

looking at his carries from this year, I'd say he already has retired.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #1 : November 07, 2006, 12:14:35 PM »

But I wish Alstott would have retired last year.

I am so sick of fans calling for him to get the ball. And they are not calling for him to get the ball on 3rd and 1. Not on 2nd and inches.
They are calling for him on 2nd and long or 3rd and 6 or other ridiculous downs.

And fans have this weird conspiracy theory that Gruden has told all his QBs to never give the ball to Alstott because he doesn't like him. That's just stupid. That's worse than the 9/11 conspiracies.
The reason he isn't getting the ball is because he just isn't as good as he used to be. He's not going to ram through and pick up 4+ yards a carry like he used to do in the late 1990s. He's suffered through various neck and back injuries and he's hit the end of his career.

The guy is one of the greatest Bucs in franchise history. And I like the guy myself. But this game puts more wear and tear on the body than any other sport, especially RBs and FBs who take a pounding every week. And the reality is that Alstott is worn out. He'll make a good play here and there like all vets do, but he isn't going to be consistant enough that you can include him as a major part of a gameplan.

Because he is so popular, if Gruden were to deactivate him, the fans that continue to live in the past (which seems to be about 3/4ths of the fan base) will declare a mutiny. That's why I am hoping he hangs it up after this year. Because right now he is simply taking up a roster spot for PR purposes.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #2 : November 07, 2006, 12:21:07 PM »

Well I think A-train is a fan favorite, been here forever and people like to see the guy whos jersey they have on get the ball. Is he the same player he was 4 years ago, no.

Baghead #2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #3 : November 07, 2006, 12:22:39 PM »

But I wish Alstott would have retired last year.

I am so sick of fans calling for him to get the ball. And they are not calling for him to get the ball on 3rd and 1. Not on 2nd and inches.
They are calling for him on 2nd and long or 3rd and 6 or other ridiculous downs.

And fans have this weird conspiracy theory that Gruden has told all his QBs to never give the ball to Alstott because he doesn't like him. That's just stupid. That's worse than the 9/11 conspiracies.
The reason he isn't getting the ball is because he just isn't as good as he used to be. He's not going to ram through and pick up 4+ yards a carry like he used to do in the late 1990s. He's suffered through various neck and back injuries and he's hit the end of his career.

The guy is one of the greatest Bucs in franchise history. And I like the guy myself. But this game puts more wear and tear on the body than any other sport, especially RBs and FBs who take a pounding every week. And the reality is that Alstott is worn out. He'll make a good play here and there like all vets do, but he isn't going to be consistant enough that you can include him as a major part of a gameplan.

Because he is so popular, if Gruden were to deactivate him, the fans that continue to live in the past (which seems to be about 3/4ths of the fan base) will declare a mutiny. That's why I am hoping he hangs it up after this year. Because right now he is simply taking up a roster spot for PR purposes.

AMEN  ;)

BTW - you will not get flammed, that is against the board rules.  :P

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #4 : November 07, 2006, 12:30:20 PM »

after he retires I better not see him with dancing with the stars   

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #5 : November 07, 2006, 12:32:27 PM »

after he retires I better not see him with dancing with the stars   

LOL....that would be funny.  :D

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

« #6 : November 07, 2006, 12:43:13 PM »

Agree with most of your post Cyber, but I still think the guy can pick up a first down on 3rd and 1. He also still can catch the ball and pick up some yards on a swing pass. Just isnt' getting the opportunity. Not saying he should get 15-20 carries a game, but I still think he could be effective in certain situations. For whatever reason, he isn't being used in those.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #7 : November 07, 2006, 12:45:58 PM »

I dont think personally he enjoy's the "fullback position" just look at his blocking

This man whats the ball, if you watched him at Purdue he was an overgrown running back

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #8 : November 07, 2006, 01:18:05 PM »

Agree with most of your post Cyber, but I still think the guy can pick up a first down on 3rd and 1.

Over the past two seasons, Alstott is 4 of 9 on 3-and-1.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #9 : November 07, 2006, 03:44:45 PM »

Retired from blocking, too.

chcwarriorpoet

Second String

« #10 : November 07, 2006, 04:12:03 PM »

Another indicator that Alstott isn't the same player is that last year he was jumping over the line to get the first down or the end zone. In years past he would bang in there and move the pile for the yard or the score. Our line never really gave him holes in those short yardage plays but Mike would take care of it himself with his power. Also hasn't he dropped some checkdowns from Grads? We all love the guy. I wish he would've retired after last year to finish his career after a good season.

gone

Hall of Famer
« #11 : November 07, 2006, 04:14:32 PM »

Retired from blocking, too.
Mike was never really a good blocker.  Adequate would be a generous term.  He was done going into last year, he lost his pop after the injury, never fully got it back.  In his prime I wanted him featured rather than Dunn, but that was many moons ago.

skip

Starter

« #12 : November 07, 2006, 04:39:50 PM »

How do you know he is not as good as he used to be? He has no opportunities, he is completely taken out of this wonderful game plan that Gruden uses. Right now I don't see any back, including Barry Sanders in his prime, doing anything behind this offensive line.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

« #13 : November 08, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »

The guy broke his neck!!!  How many people do you see come back after something like that?!?  For a person to break their neck and have a season as he had last year I tip my hat off to him... And no he isnt the same, but he is a team leader and maybe he felt he can coach a lot of the younger guys

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

« #14 : November 08, 2006, 12:22:36 PM »

He was a good player once, now he sucks and should have retired.

Couragous? Yes. Stupid? Possibly. Done? Definately.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I'll probably be flammed for this « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools