Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Brooks be moved to MLB next year? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

: November 08, 2006, 12:44:31 PM

Maybe it's me, I just don't see Brooks playing anywhere else...
He'll have no choice if he's cut and doesn't want to retire.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 08, 2006, 02:03:35 AM

???

Just thinking that he knows all the plays, the shifts...should he replace Q?  You could give that a try, he is younger than Q, and a better potential playmaker.  And very durable.  It would give Ruud a chance to play Strongside, or maybe back up Brooks for one more year.  Or at least spell him.

And Winborn could play the Weakside, like he is supposedly being groomed to do.  The man used to make plays happen in Frisco, and he is quick, a pretty decent linebacker barring injury concerns.  Either that, or...

Let Brooks play the middle, send Winborn to the strongside where his speed and skill set would not hinder the defense. And sign Briggs up, or June, and let them play will, add some speed to that side.

WLB Winborn
MLB Brooks
SLB Ruud/Nece

or...

WLB Briggs or June (via free agency)/draft pick
MLB Brooks/Ruud
SLB Winborn/Nece

It seems to make sense to me, espescially since Brooks doesn't have the speed to hit running backs cleanly.  He can hang with any tight end though.

jsunm73

Pro Bowler

#2 : November 08, 2006, 02:10:05 AM

yeah it is an intersting twist.still can he tackle.he obviously has lost alot of his speed sideline to sideline.he can make the calls but can he tackle.i think quarles should be sat down as is for now if only to heal up.when healthy quarles is solid if not great at times.but dinged as he is ruud should be starting.why is winborn not even getting to play?the whole defense should be over hauled.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 08, 2006, 02:23:12 AM

Of course, all this is in hope that the Bucs bring in, or draft a decent tackle to disrupt the middle.  Hovan is not capable of doing it, it is more than obvious he is merely a run-stopper.  Wyms is decent, and his play the rest of the season will dictate his fate.  But between now and week 17, the dt's need to crush the pocket.

The D-line situation is very peculiar, because a lot of change can happen to that corps next year.  And it might be in order.  It all starts up front.  Ask the Bears.

#4 : November 08, 2006, 04:36:56 AM

IMO Brooks should be moved to the ORL...Officially Retired List.  He's had a Hall of Fame Career in Tampa, but it is painful to watch how slow he has become and how his tackling techniques have waned.

A guy as awesome as DB should go out reasonably on top rather than embarrass himself.

rocketspeed

Practice Squad

#5 : November 08, 2006, 05:22:50 AM

very interesting look. I still think Ruud at Safety would rock, but I guess he's too big.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 08, 2006, 06:48:06 AM

Brooks would not hold up if he played MLB at this stage of his career.  By playing MLB it would shorten his career (which looks already to be in the twilight) not lengthen it. 

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 08, 2006, 07:38:32 AM

Come on guys, have we lost touch with reality here?  DB is not an MLB.  Shelton is just barely big enough to play there.  Ruud is your MLB and Ryan Nece is playing a nice SLB.  If anybody goes next year it may be Shelton.  I don't know if his body will let him play next year...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 08, 2006, 09:30:30 AM

Come on guys, have we lost touch with reality here?  DB is not an MLB.  Shelton is just barely big enough to play there.  Ruud is your MLB and Ryan Nece is playing a nice SLB.  If anybody goes next year it may be Shelton.  I don't know if his body will let him play next year...

Yeah.  At MLB, Brooks could handle the coverage duties, but could he crash gaps and battle fullbacks aiming for him on every running play?  This is just not a good idea.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 08, 2006, 11:00:35 AM

Brooks at MLB, BK at Safety, AD at RG, Michael Pittman at under tackle, Anthony Bryant replaces Matt Bryant. 

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#10 : November 08, 2006, 11:07:54 AM

Brooks at MLB, BK at Safety, AD at RG, Michael Pittman at under tackle, Anthony Bryant replaces Matt Bryant.

LMAO...

Anthony Bryant would find a way to hit a 70 yard field goal if it meant Gruden would pick up his room service tab from here on out.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 08, 2006, 11:35:11 AM

What happens when the BUcs bring in another, younger will?

Maybe Brooks at SLB, Ruud at MLB, and FA at WLB.  Just thinking of ways to keep Brooks around, considering he might not be retiring next year, but his production has slipped.  I can't see them paying so much for a guy who just rides pine as a backup.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 08, 2006, 11:36:28 AM

Brooks at strongside is very possible.  Considering he will not have to be on the field all the time.  The strongside only needs good gap dicsipline and good tackling.
What happens when the BUcs bring in another, younger will?

Maybe Brooks at SLB, Ruud at MLB, and FA at WLB.  Just thinking of ways to keep Brooks around, considering he might not be retiring next year, but his production has slipped.  I can't see them paying so much for a guy who just rides pine as a backup.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 08, 2006, 11:42:13 AM

Great topic Boid.

Q has to be gone this year. I love the guy and he's a beast but it's time for him to hang it up and let Ruud take over. I think Winborn is being wasted away on ST at this point. Brooks played a very good game against the Saints, did anyone notice that? I know it was hard to see but he was smashing people against the run. As said earlier Brooks wouldn't survive at MLB, it sounds good on paper though.

The LB's aren't the issue, it's the d-line that needs the a complete overhaul.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

#14 : November 08, 2006, 11:48:48 AM

I like Ruud at strong side! it could work

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Brooks be moved to MLB next year? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools