Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Brooks be moved to MLB next year? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#15 : November 08, 2006, 11:49:03 AM

I do not think the D-line needs a complete overhaul either.  Hovan and Wyms are fine.  I like White but some people feel his only a rotational player.  So the Bucs really need is two pass rushing ends.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 08, 2006, 11:53:17 AM

I do not think the D-line needs a complete overhaul either. Hovan and Wyms are fine. I like White but some people feel his only a rotational player. So the Bucs really need is two pass rushing ends.

Pass rushing DE's don't grow on tree's ADW. I like Hovan but what good is your UT on the bench on EVERY 3rd down? I like Wymms and Hovan as well but after that what in hell do we have?

With a great d-line you can mask a weaker LB'ing crew. If you can dominate both lines you would be in every game.

BayDay39

Second String

#17 : November 08, 2006, 11:53:46 AM

What happens when the BUcs bring in another, younger will?

Maybe Brooks at SLB, Ruud at MLB, and FA at WLB. Just thinking of ways to keep Brooks around, considering he might not be retiring next year, but his production has slipped. I can't see them paying so much for a guy who just rides pine as a backup.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought DB took a huge paycut to stay with the team. Is it anywhere near the league min for vets?

alstott40

Pro Bowler

#18 : November 08, 2006, 11:58:58 AM

A pay cut does  imply retirement at the end of the season...

just wanted to stay on the team he started with

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#19 : November 08, 2006, 11:59:20 AM

I do not think the D-line needs a complete overhaul either. Hovan and Wyms are fine. I like White but some people feel his only a rotational player. So the Bucs really need is two pass rushing ends.

Pass rushing DE's don't grow on tree's ADW. I like Hovan but what good is your UT on the bench on EVERY 3rd down? I like Wymms and Hovan as well but after that what in hell do we have?

With a great d-line you can mask a weaker LB'ing crew. If you can dominate both lines you would be in every game.

I realize that but with money and draft picks you can obtain pass rushers.  Hovan is a NT so I do not mind if he is on the bench on third and longs.   Wyms up to this game had 3 sacks but is injured now.  Once he heals up he will probably continue where he left off.  Depth and finding 2 starter quality DE's is what the Bucs need.  If Dewayne White is a solution then the Bucs are one pass rusher away with some depth from having a solid D-line.

#20 : November 08, 2006, 12:28:07 PM

IMO Brooks should be moved to the ORL...Officially Retired List. He's had a Hall of Fame Career in Tampa, but it is painful to watch how slow he has become and how his tackling techniques have waned.

A guy as awesome as DB should go out reasonably on top rather than embarrass himself.

Couldn't agree more. It's become painfully evident that he's lost a step, and the only reason I can think of that he should stay is to mentor the yound guys.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#21 : November 08, 2006, 12:35:26 PM

Maybe it's me, I just don't see Brooks playing anywhere else...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#22 : November 08, 2006, 12:49:43 PM

Brooks at MLB, BK at Safety, AD at RG, Michael Pittman at under tackle, Anthony Bryant replaces Matt Bryant. 
Anthony Davis at halfback. Bidwell for head coach. Gruden at center. All_Da_Way for cheerleader/jock washer.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#23 : November 08, 2006, 12:50:13 PM

IMO Brooks should be moved to the ORL...Officially Retired List. He's had a Hall of Fame Career in Tampa, but it is painful to watch how slow he has become and how his tackling techniques have waned.

A guy as awesome as DB should go out reasonably on top rather than embarrass himself.

Couldn't agree more. It's become painfully evident that he's lost a step, and the only reason I can think of that he should stay is to mentor the yound guys.

???

Absolute lunacy. 

96+ starting linebackers in the NFL and Derrick Brooks is tied for 5th in SOLO tackles.

He can't do everything every year, but as you recall, he's already had a TD pick called back on a BS flag this year..

Some people are too spoiled.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#24 : November 08, 2006, 12:52:38 PM

Maybe it's me, I just don't see Brooks playing anywhere else...
He'll have no choice if he's cut and doesn't want to retire.

OK let me say I have seen the decline in his play as well.  He's probably lost a step.  But Dude is not getting cut.  He just redid his deal to ensure that he cap value is favorable.  Let's even forget about the PR nightmare it will be if that did the unthinkable.  How about other players around the league?  Here's a guy that made a sacrifice for the team and now they kick him to the curb, unceremoniously?  I'd be willing to bet you few "top" free agents will want to come to a team who does a player like that.  

Hey all of this is good debate.  Great ideas even if you don't like how Nece is playing on the strongside, you could put DB over there to prolong his career.  I just don't think any of them will come to fruition....

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#25 : November 08, 2006, 12:55:27 PM

???

Absolute lunacy. 

96+ starting linebackers in the NFL and Derrick Brooks is tied for 5th in SOLO tackles.

He can't do everything every year, but as you recall, he's already had a TD pick called back on a BS flag this year..

Did you mean 6th?

#26 : November 08, 2006, 12:56:53 PM

Absolute lunacy.

No, what is absolute lunacy is to suggest that a player can do his thing forever.  Even Brooks is mortal and is on a rapid decline.

Some folks just struggle more than others when it comes to facing reality.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#27 : November 08, 2006, 01:07:37 PM

Absolute lunacy.

No, what is absolute lunacy is to suggest that a player can do his thing forever. Even Brooks is mortal and is on a rapid decline.

Some folks just struggle more than others when it comes to facing reality.

I never said he was the same player he was before, but the numbers don't lie. He's still a top tier LB in the NFL and the Bucs are fortunate to still have him.

That's the reality.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#28 : November 08, 2006, 01:19:01 PM

What happens when the BUcs bring in another, younger will?

Maybe Brooks at SLB, Ruud at MLB, and FA at WLB. Just thinking of ways to keep Brooks around, considering he might not be retiring next year, but his production has slipped. I can't see them paying so much for a guy who just rides pine as a backup.

Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought DB took a huge paycut to stay with the team. Is it anywhere near the league min for vets?

No where near league min man...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#29 : November 08, 2006, 01:26:21 PM

Look, what happens when/if the Bucs bring in a Lance Briggs, or a Cato June, or someone who can step in right away and make a difference (at least as far as speed is concerned)?

Does Brooks go to the bench?  I am willing to bet that guys like Briggs and June are not going to want to come in and play any other position, other than Will.  Ask Gold about that idea...

So if that happens, where does DB go?  To the bench?  I doubt it.  Brooks as a backup?  He wouldn't go for it, and neither would the PR department.  That is all I am asking.

Unless everyone in the Tampa area thinks it would be a good idea to roll with DB/Ruud/and Nece next year.  Which means not doing anything to shore up a thin linebacking group that needs help.  And Ruud is still unproven, how else could you explain his inability to beat out a 35 year old MLB? 

If the Bucs bring in any linebacking FA worth a damn, Brooks has to be moved around.  Because Nece is decent, and Q's replacement is already being groomed...see what I am saying?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Should Brooks be moved to MLB next year? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools