Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dr. Stroud skewers Gruden « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

Cheers

Pro Bowler

#30 : September 06, 2007, 12:22:50 AM

For one thing, I am thrilled with our draft picks and free agents. We have a team that's being molded over the last few drafts and I like where we are headed. All this gloom and doom hatred from people with an agenda sucks. We are beginning a new season and Rick sounds sick, sad and sorry. I can almost smell his rotten ideas 75 miles south.

He is the one who wrote the Tony Dungy firing piece on the eve of our Championship game and took a lot of joy and anticipation out of that. I know we lost but he killed the spirit.

It seems he still after whatever he can spoil or kill. What is it will the sick dweebs?

There does seem to be a trend in Journalism these days that an impact story has to be negative and/or bad news to be worth reading. A flair for the drama shall we say, or even the sign of good journalism is if you 'out' somebody in some form or fashion. Take a look at Iraq. Any good news reported there? Nope. (and not getting into the politics of it), but it is easier, more dramatic and 'readable' if you report on bombs and people dying. In Politics it is all about catching somebody in trouble, hypocrisy, abuse of power etc. In sports its all about finding some way of bringing an icon or local celebrity down. It is as if you're not a real journalist until you have brought someone of note down. With Stroud, it's Gruden.

I don't think he can write much more than this type of drivel. Is he from the North East? Maybe NYC?

Cheers

Pro Bowler

#31 : September 06, 2007, 12:27:03 AM

The article was factual but slanted, not unlike the recent Flynn's Focus, albeit with the opposite spin. Read them both together and it gives you a more complete picture. But not a very pretty one.

Flynn included both sides and was very unbiased. They don't have an agenda. I lived it...I don't really need it translated for me. I know what was left out of the above junk journalism and the BS that was put in it.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#32 : September 06, 2007, 12:29:36 AM

Hey, hey, hey. Don't go dissing on NYC or NJ like that. Stroud couldn't cut it with the papers up here. He's too repititious. The Daily News and Post demand new angles. He rehashes the same old stuff and gets away with it.
As for Brandentonian's comment, stuff ''his demeanor eroded Simms' confidence'' is factual? Putting the Bird Brain of Biasville in the same sentence with Jim Flynn is like putting you or I on the same golf course with Tiger Woods. One is the real thing and the other(s) are ugly facsimiles.

In Verner We Trust

BornaBuc47

Hall of Famer

#33 : September 06, 2007, 12:29:52 AM

It's all awful, Bornabuc. We should just all jump ship. Turn in our tickets. Never go to the games. Throw poisonous spears at Gruden as he exits the lockerroom. Build a wooden trojan horse and set fire to the city!!!
OR...... realize there is almost always hope, we're a year removed from a division title and that Gruden didn't start coaching the Bucs in 2003. He started in 2002. Why keep mentioning 2003 as a starting point? Because it carefully omits his best year. These type of columns disappeared for a year when the Bucs went 11-5. Funny how they reappeared so quickly once we went 4-12. This column was written in spirit the last day of the 2007 season. Our misery, our 4-12 headache was a Christmas present for the Agend-ites.
I won't sit here and praise Gruden's last four seasons; three of them have been lousy, doggone lousy. But I won't ignore the two good ones either, make that one AWESOME and one good. Why you do is your own problem.

Ask Bill callahan how much respect you can expect when you start losing. Ask the College coaches from this weekend's losses how much their past successes help out them when they start losing. You can't hold onto the Super Bowl forever. It wasn't all Gruden, as a matter of fact, only a small part of that was Gruden. Now that the biggest part of the team is Gruden we suck. I appreciate his assistance at getting us the Super Bowl win but after this year if we suck again it's time for him to move on.

From 12 Pro Bowlers to 0-We got hosed alright

Cheers

Pro Bowler

#34 : September 06, 2007, 12:33:41 AM

Hey, hey, hey. Don't go dissing on NYC or NJ like that. Stroud couldn't cut it with the papers up here. He's too repititious. The Daily News and Post demand new angles. He rehashes the same old stuff and gets away with it.
As for Brandentonian's comment, stuff ''his demeanor eroded Simms' confidence'' is factual? Putting the Bird Brain of Biasville in the same sentence with Jim Flynn is like putting you or I on the same golf course with Tiger Woods. One is the real thing and the other(s) are ugly facsimiles.

Sorry about the NYC and NE comment lol.

Could he be from Philly then? hehe

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#35 : September 06, 2007, 12:35:51 AM

Your last point is the only good one, Bornabuc. It's put up or shut up time and everybody knows it. Tell me something I don't know.
What relevance does 2003 have now for that matter? Notice the blown call(s) on the onside kick isn't mentioned in the Indy game or the incorrect interpretation of the leaping penalty or the Pittman injury which left us that much shorter in the RB department to run out the clock ... Selective memory.
And don't say you appreciate what Gruden did in 2002 cos you don't. You crap all over him. How many NFC teams have won that ring lately? Err, none since the Rams in '99. At a rate of one NFC team per seven years, it'll take the conference 112 years for everyone to get their share. We'll be long gone by then.

In Verner We Trust

#36 : September 06, 2007, 01:48:12 AM

This article is pure s*it.

Axe meets grinder.

Personal problems of Rick Stroud are suited best for Dear Abby.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#37 : September 06, 2007, 02:18:42 AM

The part regarding McFarland, Sapp and Lynch is interesting. In the most recent ESPN the Magazine, under the headling ''A Scout Says...'' is the assessement ''This team is in trouble because Gruden doesn't want to take two or three years to develop talent. He prefers old, big-name vets.''
Well, which is it? If the Bucs had cut ties with Phillips and McFarland and kept Sapp and Lynch, that would have been true. But he didn't. It's not what he commits to that has been wrong, rather the result. Sapp's record mirrors Gruden; one good year of the last four. Are there some linemen we missed on, both in keeping and as FA pickups? Sure. Quite a few. But on defense, we didn't cut ties with Ian Gold because we didn't want him; we didn't have the $. We kept Brian Kelly and he can't stay on the field. The Keyshawn situation yielded Galloway and how did that work out in the long run?
Too bad we can't make a deal: A bad year and the coach goes, but a good one and four or five of the writers go. There's no accountability.

In Verner We Trust

LtFox

Starter

#38 : September 06, 2007, 07:03:24 AM

Interesting read.....some of it no doubt is true, but it was pretty biased.

Pretty? PRETTY?

I have no doubt what so ever that a lot of this can be construed as true. However, as with everything there is always 2 sides to a story. What this 'article', and I do use the term in it's loosest definition is to throw any attempt at objectivity out of the window. Some people ask why people like me are 'Grudenistas', well to be honest it is because of crap like this. It smacks of playground bullying and if you see an 8th grader picking on a 2nd grader you step in. It doesn't matter if the 8th grader has a valid reason or not, it is what he is doing that is objectionable so you put a stop to it. Not saying that Gruden is a little fish or owt, but I hope people get my point.

That's cool, BUT Gruden receives a TON of criticism in the media. Why do you think that is? Is it a big conspiracy that has zero credence or, more likely, is Gruden at least somewhat deserving of his poor reputation. I like Gruden's burning desire to win and I think he is a good coach, however, some of the moves he has made (or played a part in) have been really poor. Also, his handling of icons like Lynch was disgraceful. Gruden deserves a lot of credit for bringing the Lombardi Trophy to Tampa, but he hasn't done much since. In fact, he has been pretty mediocre.

I am not a Gruden hater in the least and hope he / the Bucs have a fantastic season. It's just that when I look at Gruden I see a lot of flaws to go along with the "genius" label.

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#39 : September 06, 2007, 07:30:24 AM

The article was factual but slanted, not unlike the recent Flynn's Focus, albeit with the opposite spin. Read them both together and it gives you a more complete picture. But not a very pretty one.

Flynn included both sides and was very unbiased. They don't have an agenda. I lived it...I don't really need it translated for me. I know what was left out of the above junk journalism and the BS that was put in it.

So you are saying that Stroud ripped off a PR article? Wouldn't be the first time...

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#40 : September 06, 2007, 08:10:12 AM

So you are saying that Stroud ripped off a PR article? Wouldn't be the first time...

Ouch!   I'm loving that comment from the normally reserved SR.   :)

spartan

Hall of Famer
#41 : September 06, 2007, 08:31:43 AM

I appreciate his assistance at getting us the Super Bowl win but after this year if we suck again it's time for him to move on.

You know Bornabuc, you may actually have a valid point here. If you put together a sane argument people might actually listen. Instead the personal attacks on BA and JG and regurgitation of half true, slanted and at times flat out wrong 'facts 'has a tendency to get people defensive and quite frankly a little annoyed. It's the difference between asking somebody politely to stop talking because they are ruining a move and telling them to S.T.F.U. The request is basically the same but the reaction has a tendency to be completely the opposite.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#42 : September 06, 2007, 08:36:02 AM

only a small part of that was Gruden.

If you haven't learned yet there's no hope.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#43 : September 06, 2007, 08:41:55 AM

I can't say there is anything untrue in there and the only thing that can even be slightly construed as biased is insinuating the team would have had more success if Alstott was the featured back. As if a 22 carry 56 yard game is supposed to be a good thing.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#44 : September 06, 2007, 08:43:32 AM

I see a lot of flaws to go along with the "genius" label.

Who gives these guys the genius label? Has Gruden ever called himself a genius? It's all the media, to even bring in the genius thing when talking about Gruden or any other coach is ridiculous. These guys don't go around telling people, "yeah, I'm an offensive genius" it's everyone else that puts the label on.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dr. Stroud skewers Gruden « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools