Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JaMarcus Russell anyone? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #15 : November 30, 2006, 11:27:55 PM »

After the Dallas game I think it is even more clear Bruce is not the guy we need.  You can't blame his piss poor accuracy on being a rookie.  If he makes a bad read, ok, rookie mistake.  But consistently missing/under throwing/ overthrowing wide open WR is NOT a rookie mistake.  It's called not being a good QB.

That makes zero sense.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #16 : November 30, 2006, 11:24:56 PM »

This site pulls all mock info and gives the average. Right now he is at an average of 28th on 22 mocks:

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl-draft/positions/quarterbacks.php

Interesting site, MJS, thanks for the link

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #17 : November 30, 2006, 11:21:15 PM »

Lots of eyes will be on him at the Rose Bowl, which I believe will go a long way toward determining his draft stock (along with combine measurables, which are sure to be impressive).

Either way, I hope the Bucs don't draft a QB.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

« #18 : November 30, 2006, 11:24:22 PM »

I don't really care what Mocks say or anything, but here is my assessment from a couple weeks ago on the CFB board:

He is a Big guy, kind of reminds me of Daunte Culpepper with his size.  He has good arm strength and seems to throw the ball with some zip with very little effort.  I think he can make all the throws, has good touch when needed but can also put heat on it and get it in there fast when the situation calls.  I think he also has a fast release to go with his height, which would mean less batted balls IMO. He has good pocket presence, and is not afraid to stand in the pocket and take a big hit to deliver the ball.    He is mobile enough to move around or outside the pocket and still make good throws.  He seems to be a good decision maker as well, knows when to throw and when to pull it down.  But he is a pass first, then run type of QB. When he does run, at about 6' 6 260 he is hard to bring down.   Most importantly I think the guy is a leader and doesn't get flustered by the occasional mistake. 

I would be happy with the pick.  After the Dallas game I think it is even more clear Bruce is not the guy we need.  You can't blame his piss poor accuracy on being a rookie.  If he makes a bad read, ok, rookie mistake.  But consistently missing/under throwing/ overthrowing wide open WR is NOT a rookie mistake.  It's called not being a good QB.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #19 : November 30, 2006, 11:19:34 PM »

mjs, I could careless what the average mocks say. Especially considering that if you look at all of those mocks I guarantee Russell isnt even in most of them. The only reaosn I post this is because I came across this on the one draft site I go to, (also considered one of the better ones out there) and they have the BUcs taking him. Mock drafts dont matter to me though, Ive been very impressedw ith this guy from WATCHING him play on the football field not from rankings in mock drafts

Had that site bookmarked for five years and although it is a very nice pre-draft site, their mock record isn't good. 

This site pulls all mock info and gives the average.  Right now he is at an average of 28th on 22 mocks: 

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl-draft/positions/quarterbacks.php

« #20 : November 30, 2006, 11:13:30 PM »

mjs, I could careless what the average mocks say. Especially considering that if you look at all of those mocks I guarantee Russell isnt even in most of them. The only reaosn I post this is because I came across this on the one draft site I go to, (also considered one of the better ones out there) and they have the BUcs taking him. Mock drafts dont matter to me though, Ive been very impressedw ith this guy from WATCHING him play on the football field not from rankings in mock drafts

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #21 : November 30, 2006, 11:10:18 PM »

Its a mock.   ;)

He is currently at an average of 28th pick on all mocks.  There are mocks out there that have Troy Smith being picked number one overall.  Russells stock is rising for sure, but I doubt he gets into the top ten.

Larry Brackins

Starter
« #22 : November 30, 2006, 11:10:42 PM »

If SImms doesn't resign we are going to be forced to draft a QB.

I don't think I like Jamarcus though.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

« #23 : November 30, 2006, 11:11:06 PM »

"The consensus is scouting circles is that JaMarcus Russell, not Brohm, would be the second quarterback drafted this year"

« #24 : November 30, 2006, 11:08:47 PM »

you be crazy as hell....I like Russell...

« #25 : November 30, 2006, 11:05:35 PM »

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

Some people thought I was crazy a few weeks ago for even thinking Russell would be a 1st round pick, mushless drafted by the BUcs. I asid he would no doubt be a top 20 pick and the reason he wanst on mock drafts was because he hadnt officially made his intentions clear that he would declare yet. He is the 2nd best QB in the draft, and would be a great pick by the BUcs.

7. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
JAMARCUS RUSSELL QB | L.S.U. | Scouting Report
   Chris Simms was supposed to be the Bucs quarterback for years to come but now he might not even be on the roster in 2007 as he's due to become an unrestricted free agent after missing most of the season with an injury. Jon Gruden likes Bruce Gradkowski and he's fared about as well as a rookie 6th round pick can be expected to but he's still probably more of a backup at the pro level. Even though Brian Brohm gets more attention JaMarcus Russell is actually a better pro prospect and while the Daunte Culpepper comparisons are pretty accurate what really stands out is his arm strength, which might be as good as anyone's in the game. And that's at any level.

gharen

Pro Bowler

« #26 : December 01, 2006, 12:06:45 AM »

Damn serious! He has had a good season and is a decent QB, but no way is he worth the 7th pick in the draft! He has ability but he's not as good as Culpepper was coming out of college.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #27 : December 01, 2006, 12:08:58 AM »

People that have seen him in pratice have confirmed he doesn't have any real probelms with deep balls,

MJS, I respect your football opinion but WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!? People in practice? What does he do, jump in a telephone booth at practice and turn into Superman? I have seen him throw a football, short, deep, many of them. He doesnt throw well. He doesnt throw a NFL deep ball, and his accuracy is all together average at best. WHat does practice have to do with anything. Doy ou not watch teh games and assess a players abilities that way? You mine as well read a box score to judge a guy. Its no good. Pointless. I watch him play, I completely agree with Ray. He doenst throw a  good football. Combine him with SImms and we have something.

His errandt passes have nothing to do with defensive schemes. He cant get a pass form point A to point B

Well you must have selective memory then.  He threw some decent passes with plenty of zip in his first game, and managed to hit his WRs on the hands with three deep balls in the Meadowlands.  There have been a few other intermediate passes that were on the money with plenty of zip, but he is struggling with accuracy.  Despite struggling he is still putting up better than average rookie numbers in terms of pass completion percentage and TD:INT.

Some people just want to declare him a bust, others want to see what plays out.  We can worry about the QB position at the start of FA, but for now you just have to hope he gets better.

gharen

Pro Bowler

« #28 : December 01, 2006, 12:18:59 AM »

I love the scouting report saying Bruce has played as well as can be expected from a 6th round rookie! He's played as good as most first round rookies have played. I think Young and Leinart would trade stats with him in a heartbeat and they arguably have better offensive talent around them.

« #29 : December 01, 2006, 12:03:39 AM »

umm, they were pretty good this year were they not? Damn near good enough for the BCS championship. Russell was there star. The past few years? What, when he was 18?
  Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: JaMarcus Russell anyone? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools