Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Very early 2006 Rookie Draft review from GBN « previous next »
Page: 1

alldaway

Hall of Famer

: November 09, 2006, 10:08:43 AM

http://www.gbnreport.com/2006midseasondraftgrades.html

Tampa Bay… There is a good news, bad news flavor to the Buccaneers 2006 rookie class. The Buccaneers had ten picks at last April's draft, but cut four prior to the start of the season; and of the 6 picks the Buccaneers kept only three have played so far this fall. What they may have lacked in numbers, though, Tampa Bay's rookie class has made up for with quality. QB Bruce Gradkowski, a somewhat unheralded 6th round pick this year, has held up reasonably well since taking over as the Bucs' starter when Chris Simms was lost for the year after having his spleen removed. Gradkowski hasn't put up big numbers, completing just 53% of his pass attempts, but has taken very good care of the ball throwing just one interception to date, while tossing 6 TD passes. Indeed, Gradkowski has a higher QB rating than either of more heralded rookie QBs Matt Leinart of Arizona and Tennessee's Vince Young, both of whom were top 10 picks this year. Meanwhile, Gradkowski has gotten support from rookie offensive linemen Davin Joseph and Jeremy Trueblood, the team's first and second round picks this year who are manning the right side of the Buccaneers' offensive line at RG and RT respectively. Joseph missed some time early in the year with a sprained knee, but has been more than solid since returning to the lineup, while Trueblood has had his ups-and-downs at times, but has provided a physical element to that side of the line... First-year grade: A-

Not sure I agree with that entire assesment nor the grade but for the most part I concur with the author.

psymun

Starter
#1 : November 09, 2006, 10:26:35 AM

I believe the grade is more of a B-. If Stovall and Zemaitis were given more of a chance and do well... then I'd give it an A... However, I agree with what he said...

BucsPirate

Pro Bowler

#2 : November 09, 2006, 11:08:41 AM

I think you have to take into account how hard quality QB's and offensive lineman are to find. If Trueblood was playing more consistently I think you'd have to give it a solid A so far.

Sweep

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 09, 2006, 12:14:10 PM

Thanks for the link, this is a very interesting article.  Although you've got to be careful because there will be an awful lot of quality players emerging from those guys who still haven't found the starting lineup (including, hopefully, Zemitis and Stovall), it does point out just how much of a crapshoot the draft is.  Should be required reading for everyone next March!

Its going to look to some people like a different play every time we use it, but pretty soon theyll be able to recognize it....by watching the official for the first-down signal.   -Vincent T. Lombardi

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 09, 2006, 12:39:54 PM

All_da_way,  I am kind of tending to agree with this analysis.  Only time will truely tell with Grads but he was a sixth round pick.  The fact that our first and second round pick are starting makes the grade atleast a B and by adding in Grads it has to be a B+ or A-.  Stovall and Zem should start making contributions and if that happens along with Jenkins then the draft class for this year should get an A+.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Very early 2006 Rookie Draft review from GBN « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools