Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: EXTEND Gruden's Contract NOW! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

: November 14, 2006, 10:08:03 PM

When Dungy was in his last year the players tanked on him because they didn't know what the future would hold.

If the players love him so much, as you say, then they should play like they are trying to keep him here.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 14, 2006, 05:38:46 PM

Gruden's contract is for five years starting in Feb. 2002.  So next year is the last year of his contract.  Its time to extend his contract right now, and that of Allen and Kiffin as well.

The Bucs suck this year, and so does Gruden when it comes to calling plays.  The whole team is having a bad year Gruden included.  Get over it.  Is it going to get worse?  Probably.  Who the hell cares if we suck or if we suck worse?  We suck either way.  I have two games to go to and I plan to go and enjoy myself regardless. 

Gruden is not an offensive genius. The only people who say he is are the idiot callers to Deumig who say "Yeah they say Gruden's a genius..." But nobody says that.  Here's the newsflash: Calling plays in the NFL is tough. Nobody in the entire league has shown much mastery of that. Gruden is not a playcalling genius. Get over it.  He is still one of the youngest coaches in the league and he's learning.

But I love Gruden as a coach and I like the direction the team is going.  He's got a young offense and he's building it.   Gruden knows how to run an offseason.  He knows how to run practices. The players like him. He and Allen have shown they can draft well.  Gruden is a hard worker, a motivator, and when he gets knocked down he gets up brushes himself off and dives in for more punishment.  The best thing about him is he doesn't let the press or the fans dictate his actions. 

ITS TIME FOR THE GLAZERS to grow some stones right now if not sooner for the sake of stability and strength of this organization and extend Gruden. We need to continue doing things in a sensible way instead of listening to all the knuckleheads and idiots around here.  

The Glazers need to say "We have our guy. His name is Jon Gruden.  We're putting two more years on his contract . Gruden is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Get used to it or sell your season tickets.  Whichever."

When Cowher went 6-10 with the Steelers Rooney stuck with him. Thats because the Rooney knows how to run an NFL organization.  The Glazers should take a page from the Steelers book. 

The Glazers need to show the whole league that the ownership of this team has the stones.  When we need to hire coaches. When we need to sign big time free agents, they need to know this is a stable organization. 

Gruden is our guy. Screw all these knuckleheads who can't figure that out.  We need to get his John Han**CENSORED** on another contract for two more years right now. You think this team is going down the tubes? Fire Gruden and then you will see chaos, inconsistency and confusion. 

JON GRUDEN IS THE BUCS COACH.  IT IS IMPERITIVE.   THAT THE GLAZERS NEED TO EXTEND JON GRUDEN NOW!

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 14, 2006, 05:41:54 PM

...Fire Gruden and then you will see chaos, inconsistency and confusion. 

We're seeing that now.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 14, 2006, 05:43:34 PM

No we a

...Fire Gruden and then you will see chaos, inconsistency and confusion.

We're seeing that now.

I submit you wouldn't recognize chaos and confusion if it bit you in the leg.  This is losing. This isn't chaos and confusion.

#4 : November 14, 2006, 05:43:54 PM

I agree

But I guess Marvin Lewis is no defensive guru

Brian Billick is no offensive guru

Bill Parcells is no defensive guru

Tony Dungy is no defensive guru

Romeo Crennel is no defensive guru

Denny Green is no offensive guru

Its so funny how many coaches around the league who were formerly labeled geniuses, go to teams with a horrible offense or defense and when they dont turn water into whine they are mortal again. Anyway, Gruden needs to be this' teams coach. They would do no better with anyone else. A lot of people will disagree with you though

gone

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 14, 2006, 05:44:02 PM

It would settle a lot of issues if they came out and extended him...
Of course, Steve, Dan, Iam, Cummings, Henderson, and Fennely would all have strokes, so...wait, that'd be a bonus!

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 14, 2006, 05:49:18 PM

And Bucs fans:  GROW SOME STONES! Stop your sniveling and whining and moaning and groaning and crying.  Boo hoo we suck.  At least the Creamsickle Gang can say they know what its like to lose. They should be the first ones to stand up and have some stones and tell people to STOP CRYING!  You bunch of babies.  Figure it out: Gruden is our coach and we need to stick with him.

I use the Cowher example because Cowher, like Gruden, has a strong character.  But it takes more than that.  For a coach to have respect he has to have full backing from the ownership.  Rooney said to the fans "Cowher is our guy.  Period" and they backed it up with a contract.   If Cowher didn't have that 100% support he couldn't do what he did.  And Gruden or any coach can only get the respect they need if they have 100% backing by the ownership.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 14, 2006, 05:53:28 PM

And Bucs fans:  GROW SOME STONES! Stop your sniveling and whining and moaning and groaning and crying.  Boo hoo we suck.  At least the Creamsickle Gang can say they know what its like to lose. They should be the first ones to stand up and have some stones and tell people to STOP CRYING!  You bunch of babies. Figure it out: Gruden is our coach and we need to stick with him.

So I should be happy with 2-7 simply because it's not 0-9?  I also think Gruden should stay for a while, but the creamsickle argument doesn't make sense.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 14, 2006, 05:56:08 PM

No don't be happy.   But think about what is best for the future of this team.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 14, 2006, 05:58:44 PM

Itch, I appreciate your intensity on the matter, but I don't think any team should extend the contract of a coach whose team is underproducing on the field. Play it by ear, but an extension right now would be a foolish move.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#10 : November 14, 2006, 06:00:44 PM

Everyone's entitled to their opinions.  But according to this post we are not.  I don't get it?  If our loyalty lies with the Bucs, then let us agree to disagree on this issue.  None of us alone are going to make the decision.  It's pretty clear where everyone stands in regards to whether Gruden should stay or go.  It's obvious that something is going to happen in the future at the coaching position; they either will sign him, or let him go.  But for any of us to believe that our opinion is so important & correct that it causes other fans to become anti-Buc is just plain silly. 

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#11 : November 14, 2006, 06:18:20 PM

Itch, I appreciate your intensity on the matter, but I don't think any team should extend the contract of a coach whose team is underproducing on the field. Play it by ear, but an extension right now would be a foolish move.
Playing it by ear is not going to work. If Gruden is in the last year of his contract next year he will not have the backing he needs to win. He will not get the assistant coaches or the free agents he needs.  Ask Tony Dungy about that. If you aren't going to extend him you might as well fire him. 

As a teacher I know the importance of having the backing of the principal. No matter how great of a teacher I might be, the students know if the school is going to back up their teachers.   If the administrators don't back up their teachers the school will be in chaos.  Its the same thing in coaching.   If Gruden doesn't get the 100% backing of the ownership, then it doesn't matter how good he is.  He doesn't have a chance.

The options in my opinion are extend him or fire him.  I say extend him.

#12 : November 14, 2006, 06:27:00 PM

i actually was going to post something about this myself. i kind of agree, we should give them an extension.

bucshot420

Starter

#13 : November 14, 2006, 06:41:25 PM

I also agree with the extension but strongly feel the Glazers need to step in as they did with the intial hiring of Gru when they said the Defensive staff is staying, and say look certain position coaches aren't cutting it lets go out and get ones who will.  Muir as much as Gru may like him hasn't cut it and was originally "Tuna' " guy and his scheme doesn't fit our offense.  I would love for one to see Kromer promoted and see us use more of a zone blocking scheme ala Denver,ATL.  Also strongly feel Biassaccia (sp) needs to go there are much better ST coaches out there to be had.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 14, 2006, 06:47:11 PM

Yep, extend Gruden.   Lifetime contract.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: EXTEND Gruden's Contract NOW! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools