Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Study: Stretching will not prevent soreness « previous next »
Page: 1

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

« : October 19, 2007, 12:01:50 PM »

I actually think that stretching AFTER working out is better than stretching before working out.

I do both before a run, but the stretch afterwards seems to be more beneficial for me.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #1 : October 19, 2007, 11:57:02 AM »

We were never told to stretch to prevent soreness  ???  It is to help prevent injuries.

that is correct, it was injury prevention...

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #2 : October 19, 2007, 07:39:50 AM »

We were never told to stretch to prevent soreness  ???  It is to help prevent injuries.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #3 : October 19, 2007, 05:02:13 AM »

So I remember back in school how PE teachers would always say to stretch before you exercise otherwise you will get sore...

Well a study shows that advice is basically worthless.

"The data were remarkably consistent," lead researcher Robert Herbert, of the School of Physiotherapy at the University of Sydney in Australia, said in a prepared statement. "The available evidence suggests that stretching before or after exercise does not prevent muscle soreness in young healthy adults."
However Herbert says that stretching should still be part of an exercise program as it leads to increased flexibility.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20071019/hl_hsn/preworkoutstretchingwontpreventsoremuscles
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Study: Stretching will not prevent soreness « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools