Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Duke players sue Nifong, police, and Durham « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#15 : October 05, 2007, 07:27:35 PM

$10 million each?? Great example of what is wrong with this freaking country .... Punks should have been happy they got off and went on with their lives.

In this case the level of gross neglect cost the DA his law licence. This wasn't just a "well we prosecuted someone on good faith and they weren't guilty" type thing. This was a case of the government knowingly prosecuting people they knew to not be guilty. That's a big huge no-no.

Not a $10 million per no-no, IMO ......
Yeah, more like a 25 million no-no.

Are you serious?

You can't possibly not feel bad for these kids?  They must have been terrified, and thought for sure they were going to jail for a loooong period of time...and they had their names besmirched, their families had to suffer, all because Nifong is a giant turd with eyes who WILLINGLY tried to punish these kids without any reason to, other than he wanted to spread his name on the circuit...

He got his name spread.  He is lucky he isn't getting his cheeks spread by Inmate Vick...

Those kids deserve ANY money, any compensatory damages they might be seeking.

You think the country is litigious, and indeed, some of the times the payouts are huge.  BUt mos def not in this case...

Those kids deserve every freakin penny they get.

The entire system failed them.

It could be you, or your kids ace...

Sgt.Shultz

Hall of Famer

#16 : October 05, 2007, 10:27:28 PM

This case just shows how bad the American court system is. Plus the idea of hate crimes mixed in with this idea and pressure from biased one group self supporting organizations has caused the shame for not only these boys but Duke Lacrosse.

Reverse racism.Think about it....

If they were not guilty....minorities will say it was racism and "whitey" getting away with it again.

Guilty....you send innocent kids away to jail to prevent a social outroar by minorities.

The guilty factor is too much influenced by the government just because they dont want the minorities to feel bad. The truth is the truth and justice should be based on evidence and not just social racism.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 05, 2007, 10:50:05 PM

This is an almost worst case scenario in terms of abuse of governmental power vis a vis it's citizens. A prosecutor knowingly prosecutes innocent men for his own gain, he subverts the legal system in order to do so. This is about as close as you come to having someone use the Bill of Rights as toilet paper and someone thinks the punishment here is too rough?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 05, 2007, 10:50:52 PM

$10 million each?? Great example of what is wrong with this freaking country .... Punks should have been happy they got off and went on with their lives.

Uh...how about they were called rapists by many people, and had their names drug through the mud NATIONALLY.

It's one thing if they were proven innocent but not A. drug through the mud and B. way, way falsely accused. They were charged with something that they clearly didn't do and that came out thank God.

Still doesn't mean they should be entitled to $10 million .... Plus, they put themselves in a bad position to being with by bringing in hookers. Are they entitled to something? Absolutely .... All legal expenses, maybe a little extra, nothing on their permanent record, but there's no way to justify that huge of a figure. These kids weren't ruined for life. I doubt anybody even 1 in 10 know their names...
Hookers?? I thought it was just a few strippers...

You can't possibly be this naive ....

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 05, 2007, 11:08:27 PM

In this case the level of gross neglect cost the DA his law licence. This wasn't just a "well we prosecuted someone on good faith and they weren't guilty" type thing. This was a case of the government knowingly prosecuting people they knew to not be guilty. That's a big huge no-no.

Are you serious?

You can't possibly not feel bad for these kids?  They must have been terrified, and thought for sure they were going to jail for a loooong period of time...and they had their names besmirched, their families had to suffer, all because Nifong is a giant turd with eyes who WILLINGLY tried to punish these kids without any reason to, other than he wanted to spread his name on the circuit...

He got his name spread.  He is lucky he isn't getting his cheeks spread by Inmate Vick...

You think the country is litigious, and indeed, some of the times the payouts are huge.  BUt mos def not in this case...

These "kids" weren't just walking down the street and all of a sudden got fingrered as rapists. You put yourself in a position like that, the likelihood of something bad happening goes up accordingly. What's the long term damage done to them?? Negligible, if any at all. Niphong's professional career is over, as well it should be. There's NOTHING stopping these kids from going on with their lives and being successful. This attempted money grab is freaking disgusting and is a prime example of a major ill with this country ...

And as far as being my kids or me, I hope I can teach my kids to recognize situations like this for what they are and to get the hell out of there...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#20 : October 05, 2007, 11:44:20 PM

Are you serious?

These "kids" weren't just walking down the street and all of a sudden got fingrered as rapists. You put yourself in a position like that, the likelihood of something bad happening goes up accordingly. What's the long term damage done to them?? Negligible, if any at all. Niphong's professional career is over, as well it should be. There's NOTHING stopping these kids from going on with their lives and being successful. This attempted money grab is freaking disgusting and is a prime example of a major ill with this country ...

And as far as being my kids or me, I hope I can teach my kids to recognize situations like this for what they are and to get the hell out of there...
I am sure the kids who are going to DUKE had parents who thought the same...

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#21 : October 06, 2007, 12:12:40 AM

Your logic is so flawed it isn't even funny. Regardless of if you disagree with what they are asking for you're making some really faulty arguments here.

First of all, it doesn't matter what they were doing that night because what has been proven is they weren't doing what they were accused of. The DA is a representative of the government and he has the discretion of said government on his shoulders when he attempts to prosecute people. With that in mind, he grossly committed misconduct. As someone else mentioned, it is just about the biggest no no for the government to attempt to prosecute someone for something the government KNOWS they didn't do. The DA, as a representative of the government did just that.

You're trying to paint it as though these kids A. did something wrong and / or B. don't have standing on this issue. Well, they do have standing and they didn't do what they were accused of doing. What else they did is of no consequence. You can't say that they shouldn't have put themselves in that situation because it is outside the scope of the argument.

This isn't the case of someone suing McDonalds because they got burned by hot coffee that didn't have a label saying it was hot. This is a big government no no and these kids deserve everything they get.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 06, 2007, 12:14:26 AM

I am sure the kids who are going to DUKE had parents who thought the same...

I plan to have cameras implanted in my kids' foreheads before they leave home ...

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 06, 2007, 12:22:37 AM

You're trying to paint it as though these kids A. did something wrong

We know they didn't do what they were accused of .... I don't think we'll ever know if they did anything that could be considered "wrong" that night.

and / or B. don't have standing on this issue. Well, they do have standing and they didn't do what they were accused of doing.

And they have been fully acquitted of any charges. You want to pay them something for their pain and suffering for the time this thing dragged on, fine ...... but to put that figure at $10 million is obscene.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#24 : October 06, 2007, 12:31:32 AM

It's not, though. They have a solid argument that their lives are ruined from this little stunt. People sympathize with them, too.

People get a lot more money for a lot lesser things. That's the evil, not people who legitimately have a complaint. The government has plenty deep pockets to give them that money, too.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 06, 2007, 08:18:17 PM

It's not, though. They have a solid argument that their lives are ruined from this little stunt. People sympathize with them, too.

People get a lot more money for a lot lesser things. That's the evil, not people who legitimately have a complaint. The government has plenty deep pockets to give them that money, too.

Are their lives really ruined? If they have no record, how will employers know? People are not going to remember their names. They're just the Duke lacrosse players. If their lives were truly ruined, I would honestly have a somewhat different opinion .... even if they did somewhat put themselves in a position for bad things to happen.   ;)

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#26 : October 07, 2007, 01:07:33 AM

Trust me, they can claim in court and be successful that their lives are ruined. And I believe their lives are ruined, by the way, aside from the prior tidbit I gave you.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#27 : October 07, 2007, 12:02:54 PM

You really have great faith in the Justice system in America?   Pretty naive IMO!    NEWSFLASH!  It is not about justice it is about WINNING AND LOSING!!

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 07, 2007, 02:28:38 PM

Trust me, they can claim in court and be successful that their lives are ruined. And I believe their lives are ruined, by the way, aside from the prior tidbit I gave you.

Jury selection will be critical in trying to prove their lives are ruined ..... I don't see it. A rough year or so, absolutely.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 07, 2007, 02:30:06 PM

You really have great faith in the Justice system in America?   Pretty naive IMO!    NEWSFLASH!  It is not about justice it is about WINNING AND LOSING!!

You're going to have to elaborate. I have no idea what point you're trying to make ...
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Duke players sue Nifong, police, and Durham « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools