Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Has there ever been a Buc QB the majority of Buc fans liked? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

watson

Hall of Famer
: November 14, 2006, 05:35:58 PM

Then there was the beloved Parnell **CENSORED**inson

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#1 : November 14, 2006, 04:30:17 PM

I for one didn't like Brad when he was here. I liked King, but I rarely got to see the games at that point in time due to living in Pennsylvania. Since I could regularly see the games I have seen Brad Johnson, Brian Griese, Chris Simms, and Bruce Gradkowski. Out of all those QBs, I realize now exactly how good Brad was for us. He was bad his last season here, but the guy was a pretty good QB in this system and he was a pretty good QB overall. Having the inexperience today makes me long for the days when we knew we would get a steady performance from the bull.

I liked the idea of a young QB. I liked Simms last season, but this year he was terrible. He deserved every bit of criticism he got and probably more. He just didn't play well. Now the entire team is a mess and Gradkowski is at the helm. So far Gradkowski has made less mistakes than Simms has made this season. 7 TDs vs. 3 INTs speaks for itself. Simms was at 7 and 2 if I remember correctly after just 3 games. Not a very good ratio.

Despite a tough loss yesterday, and a bad performance, I think that Gradkowski is still doing a pretty good job of being our QB. I don't really understand the criticism that is being levied his way this season. He is a 6th round pick and he is supposed to be playing that way. Newsflash; he is playing better than you would expect your 6th round pick to play. He is performing the best out of rookie QBs this season, better than Young and Leinart. The talent around him is dropping passes and fumbling the football away just like him but at a higher rate. Did he have bad plays yesterday? Yes. Did they break the team's back? Possibly the fumble, but I would still argue that no they didn't.

I see a lot of potential in Gradkowski, but the more I watch the more Gruden's status is becoming uncertain. Gradkowski was made to be Gruden's QB. I'm just not sure that the Glazers are going to be willing to put up with more much more losing. I am willing to give Gruden one more season, and I would imagine they are too. If that is the case I would expect to see a much better year from Gradkowski next season because he really looks like he could be a good QB in the future. Gruden just may realize that next year is his last, however, and grow impatient with the young guys and bring in a guy he thinks can do the job better in order to save his own job. That could really screw Gradkowski up.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 14, 2006, 03:59:12 PM

Dilfer was well liked

I'm sorry, but that isn't even close to true.   Dilfer was HATED!    That's why the fans liked King so much.   They wanted anything other than Dilfer.   Fans have warmed to Dilfer since he left.   But he was bitterly hated and booed when he was the starter in Tampa.   Especially after that Giants game.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 14, 2006, 08:10:24 AM

I was thinking about this today.    In Buccaneer history, has there ever been a Buc QB the majority of Buc fans liked?    People hate Gradkowski, they hated Griese, they hated Simms, they hated Rob Johnson, they were indifferent about Brad Johnson, they hated Trent Dilfer, they hated Vinny Testaverde, etc etc.

The only QB I can ever remember the majority of Buc fans liking was Shaun King.   And I hated him.    For whatever reason, the majority of fans loved King.   I can't remember fans ever calling for the backup when King was the starter.    Doug Williams was the 2nd most liked, but I can remember many a game people screaming for him to be benched.

This season is down the drain.   I think getting Grads some playing time could really end up helping us in the long run.   I still think he may turn out to be a good one.   Why turn on him so quickly?   There's no better alternative at this point.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 14, 2006, 08:20:51 AM

Craig Erickson!!! Come on Java!!!

I don't know how anyone could hate Grads. Even last night the int's weren't SoB/SoP game-chaning type int's. The fumble sucked but Grads has really performed about as good as you could given the situation.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 14, 2006, 08:23:59 AM

Craig Erickson!!! Come on Java!!!

True.  He was fairly popular only because he followed the bitterly hated Vinny Testaverde.   That's pretty much the same reason people liked Shaun King (since he followed the bitterly hated Trent Dilfer).    But neither one of them was a top 5 QB for the Bucs.   The best ones were the ones the fans **CENSORED**ed about the most.   

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 14, 2006, 08:40:54 AM

Grad will be fine give him time and a good #2WR

watson

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 14, 2006, 08:42:39 AM

Yes.  The starting QB that left the year before in FA or the backup sitting on the bench.  

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 14, 2006, 09:02:23 AM

Brad Johnson.
What's not to love??

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#9 : November 14, 2006, 10:50:50 AM

Brad Johnson for sure.  Thought that he would still be around, but it didn't happen and I'm over that. 

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#10 : November 14, 2006, 03:53:20 PM

maybe its something with the water in Tampa, QBS come here don't do so well, go somewhere else and become a star

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 14, 2006, 03:29:26 PM

You ask who Buc fans love at QB and I ask you what have any of our QB's done to deserve any love? Love is a two way street.

4 ex QB's have won superbowls.   Brad was the only one who did it with the Bucs.   I think they deserved more love than they got here.   QB has rarely been the true problem in Tampa (except when Shaun King was starter), but the fans always seem to think the problem is the QB and/or the coach.   It's simple minded thinking.   We've actually had some pretty damn good QB's here in Tampa. 

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 14, 2006, 03:30:22 PM

Brad Johnson.
What's not to love??

THE HAIR  ;D

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 14, 2006, 03:32:28 PM

Remember guys that Gradkowski has arguably played the best out of all the starting rookie QB's so far this season.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

#14 : November 14, 2006, 03:41:53 PM

Gradkowski needs to play the rest of this season and start next season.  If he gets beat out next year, then we'll see what happens.  But IMO he has played the best you can expect.  He is a 6th round rookie and he is outperforming Matt Lienart and Vince Young who were taken in the first round.

As far as love for QB's go, I was always a huge fan of Brad Johnson.  I still am.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Has there ever been a Buc QB the majority of Buc fans liked? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools