Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What exactly is GruAllen's contract situation? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

#30 : November 14, 2006, 01:35:11 PM

I think the Glazers know how bad of shape the team has been in from missing draft picks to cap problems and will give GruAllen a shot in 2007 to see what they do without all the restrictions.

I happen to agree with that. But this is probably the most important off-season we've had in years. GruAllen cannot screw it up.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#31 : November 14, 2006, 01:39:23 PM

I think the Glazers know how bad of shape the team has been in from missing draft picks to cap problems and will give GruAllen a shot in 2007 to see what they do without all the restrictions.

I happen to agree with that. But this is probably the most important off-season we've had in years. GruAllen cannot screw it up.

definately. We will be in great position to make splash in FA and the draft. If the FO messes it up and 2007 looks like 2006, then it will be time for a new regime...and really, as crazy as it would be, if we start out with a bunch of losses again next year, I could see Gru getting the axe midseason

escobar

Hall of Famer

#32 : November 14, 2006, 02:17:03 PM

If Gruden's contract does run through 2009 I believe we keep him around until then. People are so prone to exaggeration in pro sports, it's ridiculous. When we win, we think we're better than we are, when we lose we think we are worse than we are and that it's time for a change. For those who want a new regime do you stop to think about the setback that would cause this franchise? They would want their own assistants, their own players, and obviously a brand new scheme. They wouldn't have the luxury that Gruden did of having one of the top defenses of all time to help ease the transition period of implementing a new philosphy. That pretty much means we would be 2-3 years away, in my opinion, of having another respectable team. And whose to say that whoever takes over here would do any better than Gruden? Nobody can say that for sure. I would much rather stick it out with Gruden, a guy who knows our players and has proven that even with an AVERAGE o-line and QB he can work wonders. During our playoff run in 2002 yes we had a dominant defense, but our offense also looked better in consecutive games than it has maybe ever, and look what he had to work with for those games.

Look at all the negatives Gruden has had to overcome or is currently dealing with now since he came here.

1. Poor salary cap management
2. Poor use of premium draft picks
3. Lack of future premium draft picks
4. An aging defense
5. Our top two WR's thinking they were better than they were
6. Michael Clayton fooling the team into thinking he was actually good, leading the team to ignore WR in following drafts/FA
7. Losing his starting QB to injury in back to back seasons, having to go with two first time starters, one of them being a rookie going against the hardest schedule in the NFL
8. MASS amounts of injuries to other positions. In 2003 we had injury after injury and look at this year.
9. Fluke losses. Due to yet another injury we blow the biggest 4th quarter lead in league history, and end up losing the Colts game on a leaping call of all things, losing a game to Carolina on 3 blocked kicks including the game winning XP, an XP for crying out loud! Another game against Carolina where delhomme gets spun around, flings the ball up for grabs just to avoid a sack in the final minute of the game and it ends up being completed for a TD to win the game. I'm sure there are more. You can probably add the Bush punt return to this list. It was a COMPLETE collapse in coverage and it was the easiest punt return in league history. I could have run that one in.

Yes Gruden has blown it with draft picks such as Travis Stephens, Marquise Walker, Austin King, Lance Nimmo, Marquise Cooper, maybe Michael Clayton, Chris Colmer and I'm sure others. In FA he obviously blew the Steussie, Garner, and Deese signings, and I read a post about how our poor salary cap situation played no part in that. How? While we overpaid those guys, we still didn't have the money to lure younger, more promising yet more expensive players that year. Gruden was left with having to go after aging vets that would play for probably a little less than the younger upper tier players would have.

Gruden has made a lot of mistakes but he has also been dealt a shytty hand by the former regime, I think that he should be given a few years to show what he can do with salary cap room AND all of his draft picks. This is the first time since he's been here that he has had both to work from. It's like the slate has been cleaned and this is now his team. He finally has all the resources a coach needs to successfully run a team and I say let him show us what he's got.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#33 : November 14, 2006, 02:41:58 PM

Hey, I am probably the biggest Gruden guy on here.  But even I can only take so much more of this.

I have been telling Abuccs for sometime, should Jon ever go, the guy we need to look at is Kirk Ferentz.  OL problems SOLVED.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

goto11

Starter
#34 : November 14, 2006, 02:56:01 PM

Hey, fire Gruden now and he'll be coaching in Arizona before you can blink an eye. Then they become successful and we'll all be crying in our beer. LOL...

I'd just like to point out that that could never happen.  The Cardinals couldn't be successful with the mutant lovechild of Don Shula, Vince Lombardi and Bill Walsh as head coach.  They are simply cursed.

shall555

Starter

#35 : November 14, 2006, 03:26:25 PM

If Gruden's contract does run through 2009 I believe we keep him around until then. People are so prone to exaggeration in pro sports, it's ridiculous. When we win, we think we're better than we are, when we lose we think we are worse than we are and that it's time for a change. For those who want a new regime do you stop to think about the setback that would cause this franchise? They would want their own assistants, their own players, and obviously a brand new scheme. They wouldn't have the luxury that Gruden did of having one of the top defenses of all time to help ease the transition period of implementing a new philosphy. That pretty much means we would be 2-3 years away, in my opinion, of having another respectable team. And whose to say that whoever takes over here would do any better than Gruden? Nobody can say that for sure. I would much rather stick it out with Gruden, a guy who knows our players and has proven that even with an AVERAGE o-line and QB he can work wonders. During our playoff run in 2002 yes we had a dominant defense, but our offense also looked better in consecutive games than it has maybe ever, and look what he had to work with for those games.

Look at all the negatives Gruden has had to overcome or is currently dealing with now since he came here.

1. Poor salary cap management
2. Poor use of premium draft picks
3. Lack of future premium draft picks
4. An aging defense
5. Our top two WR's thinking they were better than they were
6. Michael Clayton fooling the team into thinking he was actually good, leading the team to ignore WR in following drafts/FA
7. Losing his starting QB to injury in back to back seasons, having to go with two first time starters, one of them being a rookie going against the hardest schedule in the NFL
8. MASS amounts of injuries to other positions. In 2003 we had injury after injury and look at this year.
9. Fluke losses. Due to yet another injury we blow the biggest 4th quarter lead in league history, and end up losing the Colts game on a leaping call of all things, losing a game to Carolina on 3 blocked kicks including the game winning XP, an XP for crying out loud! Another game against Carolina where delhomme gets spun around, flings the ball up for grabs just to avoid a sack in the final minute of the game and it ends up being completed for a TD to win the game. I'm sure there are more. You can probably add the Bush punt return to this list. It was a COMPLETE collapse in coverage and it was the easiest punt return in league history. I could have run that one in.

Yes Gruden has blown it with draft picks such as Travis Stephens, Marquise Walker, Austin King, Lance Nimmo, Marquise Cooper, maybe Michael Clayton, Chris Colmer and I'm sure others. In FA he obviously blew the Steussie, Garner, and Deese signings, and I read a post about how our poor salary cap situation played no part in that. How? While we overpaid those guys, we still didn't have the money to lure younger, more promising yet more expensive players that year. Gruden was left with having to go after aging vets that would play for probably a little less than the younger upper tier players would have.

Gruden has made a lot of mistakes but he has also been dealt a shytty hand by the former regime, I think that he should be given a few years to show what he can do with salary cap room AND all of his draft picks. This is the first time since he's been here that he has had both to work from. It's like the slate has been cleaned and this is now his team. He finally has all the resources a coach needs to successfully run a team and I say let him show us what he's got.

Outstanding post. At least, somebody really understands what's going on around here. I'm tired of hearing the Duemig parrots. Where were your rants when we were WINNING last year?! I didn't hear anybody calling for Gruden's head when we won the NFC South last year. The toughest division in football. Where were your complaints then? Gruden's using the same playbook. Monte's using the same playbook. We've got the same players. You trolls only come out of the woodwork when we lose. To me, that's shows impatience. Impatience = bandwagon fans. The true Buc fans have been through the fire of all the losing, and have patience like no other fans. We know that the ship will right itself in due time. 14 straight years of 10+ losses and 0-26 will do that to you.

Yeah, we suck this year, so what?! Get over it. Every week, after a loss it's the same whiny 'Fire Gruden' crap. It's difficult to win in the NFL. To have back to back winning seasons is, in itself, an accomplishment. The Bucs look like a MASH unit this year. Injuries happen. Bad scheduling happens. Get over it. Gruden isn't going anywhere. The replacement candidates are garbage. Would you like to have Steve Mariucci? A different retread coach? An unproven? Getting rid of Gruden after the season will create a Detroit Lions / Arizona Cardinals nightmare. Look at the Raiders since Gru left. That could be us. At least, we've had a winning season, since the Super Bowl. We can Gruden, I'd almost guarantee, we will suck for 3-5 years because of the roster upheaval. Most teams don't play WCO or Cover 2. I'll take 2 division titles in 4 years and a Super Bowl ring, any day of the week. Sometimes the grass is greener. Be careful what you wish for.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#36 : November 14, 2006, 03:33:22 PM

When you mention Browns, I assume you are talking the current Brown.

The old Cleveland Brwowns were a powerhouse for years.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#37 : November 14, 2006, 07:41:23 PM

Ron Turner and Cam Cameron?  Two coaches who blew chunks at Illinois and Indiana?  Please tell me that was a joke.

shall555

Starter

#38 : November 14, 2006, 09:44:32 PM

Ron Turner and Cam Cameron? Two coaches who blew chunks at Illinois and Indiana? Please tell me that was a joke.

LOL. Isn't Ron Turner, the younger brother of Norv Turner? Doesn't he run the same offense that Norv runs? He sucks! Cam Cameron...HAHAHAHA!!! Anyone can look good with LADANIAN TOMLINSON and ANTONIO GATES on your roster. If those are the best alternatives. I'll stick with Gruden, thank you. AND forget Ron Rivera. ANYONE can look good with that DL and Urlacher/Briggs @ LB.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#39 : November 14, 2006, 09:49:17 PM

Oh, and to answer the question of the thread, Gruden is under contract through 2008, and he is guaranteed $4.3 million per year for 2007 and 2008.

Hit55Fan

Hall of Famer

#40 : November 14, 2006, 09:55:12 PM

gruden isnt getting fired. People need to get over that idea.

The Glazers know the hell the team was in when they came in.. They knew what gruden would have to do to turn in around and that losing came with that. They tried rebuilding before the D got to old.. It just didnt work.. now.. they have the cap to rebuild totally.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What exactly is GruAllen's contract situation? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools