Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I am starting to think Bruce is not the answer « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

gone

Hall of Famer
#15 : November 14, 2006, 03:48:25 PM

McCown isn't the answer, definitely not this year, he's missed too much.  Any time off is valuable snaps for grads as has been pointed out. 
That said, it would be interesting to see Grads take a game off, like week 11,12,or 13.  Call it his bye, and see if a week off without the pressure helps him digest.  We'd get an Idea for Luke's progress too.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 14, 2006, 03:49:38 PM

Plus you guys have to know he wasn't going to be all of that.  Come on it takes a while for you to get those looks, fail at them, them see them on film, and finally correct them.  What do you want from this kid...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

CadillacPower24_2006

Practice Squad

#17 : November 14, 2006, 03:50:39 PM

Plus you guys have to know he wasn't going to be all of that.  Come on it takes a while for you to get those looks, fail at them, them see them on film, and finally correct them.  What do you want from this kid...

the want him to be the rising of christ right out of the gates

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#18 : November 14, 2006, 03:51:42 PM

Plus you guys have to know he wasn't going to be all of that. Come on it takes a while for you to get those looks, fail at them, them see them on film, and finally correct them. What do you want from this kid...

I guess...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#19 : November 14, 2006, 05:40:39 PM

I don't think Bruce has had a fair shake considering the O line, forced into saving a sinking ship, no running game, dropped balls, and so on. I think he has the brains and tallent, but may lack in some areas of his game. There were probably some that said Steve Young sucked when he was here, but he flourished with SF. Bruce may be a little down right now, but I think he will be in the league for a while. Only time and a system that allows him to prosper will tell. I'm not a shotgun fan, but I think the time has come for Gruden be a bit more open minded.

The running game totally sucks right now.  But he's had time in the pocket to pass the ball...

gone

Hall of Famer
#20 : November 14, 2006, 05:41:52 PM

Grads is very raw uncooked meat; I say let's sign a Matt Shaub or maybe even Jake Plummer to a 2 year deal in the off season, and put Grads back on the bench until he is fully cooked and READY for prime time.
Schaub has a few years of professional coaching under him.  Looks more polished.  Did pretty well in limited action but his stats weren't spectacular, (33 of 64, 51% 98 rating in one game last year)  That's about it though.  Grads has more, and will have signifigantly more game experience by next year.
I remember someone posting here a while ago that sitting a rookie doesn't really help, that even when they sit, their first year as starter is rough.  Nice stats with that post too.  If accurate, shaub won't be 'the answer' next year.  And realisticaly, Gru needs someone who will be.  That means Brice, or a Stud vet.  Odds on the former are better than the odds on landing the latter.

Besides, Whether or not he's starter material next year, Bruce will definitely look a lot better with a year of pro coaching.  College-to-NFL is an awfully big leap.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#21 : November 14, 2006, 05:43:38 PM

Plus you guys have to know he wasn't going to be all of that. Come on it takes a while for you to get those looks, fail at them, them see them on film, and finally correct them. What do you want from this kid...

I guess...
Well, isn't that what we were told? Let's be serious for a second. Think back to week 4. Weren't we told how much the offense was going to improve now that Gruden's guy was under center. Simms was so horrible and not right for the offense? Please tell me you all remember phrases like..."instant upgrade"...."more offensive output"...."offense will run more smoothly"...."scoring will increase".....I mean we were all told by the Simms haters that the offense was about to be kicked up a notch now that Grads was taking over...weren't we? So I know I was expecting more, because that's what you Simms haters told me was going to happen.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#22 : November 14, 2006, 05:48:16 PM

Hating Simms doesn't translate into Grads playing well.  Just because Simms is not in the game doesn't mean we'd be better than 2-7 either....

I guess...
Well, isn't that what we were told? Let's be serious for a second. Think back to week 4. Weren't we told how much the offense was going to improve now that Gruden's guy was under center. Simms was so horrible and not right for the offense? Please tell me you all remember phrases like..."instant upgrade"...."more offensive output"...."offense will run more smoothly"...."scoring will increase".....I mean we were all told by the Simms haters that the offense was about to be kicked up a notch now that Grads was taking over...weren't we? So I know I was expecting more, because that's what you Simms haters told me was going to happen.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#23 : November 14, 2006, 06:59:13 PM

I understand ICIT, it was frustrating to see that. If he would've looked off the safety just a little bit on that int to Clayton it would've been wide open. The safety just read his eyes. The reason Brady is so good is because he rarely throws where he's first looking. Grads must develop that to become a better passer.

Having said that you can't get frustrated just yet. Grads has shown more good than bad and hasn't even played half a season as an NFL QB. Just be patient, nothing good will come from yanking QB's in and out. The reason the Bucs have been struggling is because they've lacked continuity at this position. Grads is the man for the job, I know it.

I agree with you 100%.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

IanD15

Rookie

#24 : November 14, 2006, 07:09:25 PM

I hate how Schuab get's so many looks. I wouldn't want him i rather have Simms then Schuab.

#25 : November 14, 2006, 07:21:10 PM

If we were talking about a Rothliesberger type of rookie season I would be excited about Grads starting from here on out; buuuuuuuut he is merely average at best and will be a 3 year project which means alot of growing pains ahead if he remains our starter in '07 and beyond.

#26 : November 14, 2006, 07:35:05 PM

If we were talking about a Rothliesberger type of rookie season I would be excited about Grads starting from here on out; buuuuuuuut he is merely average at best and will be a 3 year project which means alot of growing pains ahead if he remains our starter in '07 and beyond.
are you kidding me...Roethlisberger 'type of rookie seaons' happen once in a lifetime...not to mention the fact he had a really good team around him.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#27 : November 14, 2006, 07:55:15 PM

Gruden is in a contract year next season, and he has always been more infatuated with seasoned vets, than with rooks, no matter how much praise he sings of Bruce.  He will definitely try to sign another QB next year, I highly doubt he drafts one early unless he gets an extension before then.  He will be fighting to keep his job, and the best way to do that is to TURN THIS WHOLE MESS AROUND.  He won't screw around, he has some cash, he will go after a QB, mark the words.  Even a Seneca Wallace would be a massive upgrade, and talk about being a fit for the offense....the only thing about Wallace is he lacks "Football IQ", and would have a tough time absorbing Grudens playbook.

Gradkowski is a backup type, a great number 2 to man the ship, so to speak.  But as a starter, I just can't see it happening next year.  Timing is one thing, but missing wide open guys is another entirely.  Yes, I know he is a rookie, and expect INTs to come from throwing into a double covered zone, from misreading a route, but IMO he is using this time to become a legit number 2 when that day should come.  Most QBs get banged up, and miss a game here and there, and that is what I would most like to see him doing.  He has been consistent, not really losing games for the Bucs (but last night was atrocious), and is getting a lot of live action.  Good for us.

But next year, expect a new gunslinger.  Either that, or Simms will be back.

Before bringing up batted passes, consider the ratios first.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#28 : November 14, 2006, 08:52:44 PM

Gruden is in a contract year next season, and he has always been more infatuated with seasoned vets, than with rooks, no matter how much praise he sings of Bruce. He will definitely try to sign another QB next year, I highly doubt he drafts one early unless he gets an extension before then. He will be fighting to keep his job, and the best way to do that is to TURN THIS WHOLE MESS AROUND. He won't screw around, he has some cash, he will go after a QB, mark the words. Even a Seneca Wallace would be a massive upgrade, and talk about being a fit for the offense....the only thing about Wallace is he lacks "Football IQ", and would have a tough time absorbing Grudens playbook.

Gradkowski is a backup type, a great number 2 to man the ship, so to speak. But as a starter, I just can't see it happening next year. Timing is one thing, but missing wide open guys is another entirely. Yes, I know he is a rookie, and expect INTs to come from throwing into a double covered zone, from misreading a route, but IMO he is using this time to become a legit number 2 when that day should come. Most QBs get banged up, and miss a game here and there, and that is what I would most like to see him doing. He has been consistent, not really losing games for the Bucs (but last night was atrocious), and is getting a lot of live action. Good for us.

But next year, expect a new gunslinger. Either that, or Simms will be back.

What do you think timing is bro...you have to work at that.  You have to know and feel the speed of the game.  You have to have a feel for the speed of your receivers.  That's timing.  When you don't have that feel it means the game is still too fast for you.  I personally don't think it slows until you know what the heck it means to be a pro player. Then the game slows down, progressions are second nature, and you hit the wide open receivers in stride...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#29 : November 14, 2006, 08:59:27 PM

Gruden is in a contract year next season, and he has always been more infatuated with seasoned vets, than with rooks, no matter how much praise he sings of Bruce. He will definitely try to sign another QB next year, I highly doubt he drafts one early unless he gets an extension before then. He will be fighting to keep his job, and the best way to do that is to TURN THIS WHOLE MESS AROUND. He won't screw around, he has some cash, he will go after a QB, mark the words. Even a Seneca Wallace would be a massive upgrade, and talk about being a fit for the offense....the only thing about Wallace is he lacks "Football IQ", and would have a tough time absorbing Grudens playbook.

Gradkowski is a backup type, a great number 2 to man the ship, so to speak. But as a starter, I just can't see it happening next year. Timing is one thing, but missing wide open guys is another entirely. Yes, I know he is a rookie, and expect INTs to come from throwing into a double covered zone, from misreading a route, but IMO he is using this time to become a legit number 2 when that day should come. Most QBs get banged up, and miss a game here and there, and that is what I would most like to see him doing. He has been consistent, not really losing games for the Bucs (but last night was atrocious), and is getting a lot of live action. Good for us.

But next year, expect a new gunslinger. Either that, or Simms will be back.

What do you think timing is bro...you have to work at that.  You have to know and feel the speed of the game.  You have to have a feel for the speed of your receivers.  That's timing.  When you don't have that feel it means the game is still too fast for you.  I personally don't think it slows until you know what the heck it means to be a pro player. Then the game slows down, progressions are second nature, and you hit the wide open receivers in stride...

Okay then.  Good points.

But I have this feeling Gradkowski is going to be a great #2.  He is great at the short passes, the timing on those are pretty decent aren't they?  What about the rest of the stuff?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I am starting to think Bruce is not the answer « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools