Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody here miss Rice? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
: November 20, 2006, 08:04:52 AM

When the backup has more sacks than the starter, I don't.

Trade him Bruce. Get whatever picks you can and extend White's contract.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 20, 2006, 08:07:46 AM

DeWayne White does generate pressure on the pass rush, that is for sure.

Five passes defensed, 4 sacks, 20 tackles.

Not bad for a guy who also recovers fumbles, generates them, and also blocks FG's...in spot duty. He might be the best DE on the bench in the NFL, to be honest.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#2 : November 20, 2006, 08:10:18 AM

White is nearly as fast as Rice and much stronger.  We need to get this guy extended and soon.

#3 : November 20, 2006, 08:20:57 AM

IIRC, Rice's contract expires at the end of the year.  If so, Rice will be allowed to walk most likely.  Not sure what his trade value might be at this stage of his career.  Rice CAN be a force, no doubt, but he is inconsistent at times too.

#4 : November 20, 2006, 08:42:31 AM

IIRC, Rice's contract expires at the end of the year.  If so, Rice will be allowed to walk most likely.  Not sure what his trade value might be at this stage of his career.  Rice CAN be a force, no doubt, but he is inconsistent at times too.

After next year Prefer.

http://nflpa.org/Resources/ActivePlayerSearch.aspx?id=23834

#5 : November 20, 2006, 08:44:11 AM

Thanks HDE.  Was not altogether sure on his deal.  That said, if the Bucs can get something for the guy, I say do it now.  It is time for TB to move on.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 20, 2006, 08:45:07 AM

He will be dangled to teams like the Chargers, the Browns...who knows what the Bucs can get for him.

But I think he will stay his final year, and be better after repairing his busted shoulder.  Which is no doubt impeding his work.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 20, 2006, 08:49:47 AM

Before everyone gets overly excited about White and wants hims signed to a nice contract, remember history. Didn't we do that to Booger, Gramatica etc etc.

Yes White has played well and yes I think he should be resigned, but lets make any large contract be loaded with incentives.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 20, 2006, 08:52:39 AM

Before everyone gets overly excited about White and wants hims signed to a nice contract, remember history. Didn't we do that to Booger, Gramatica etc etc.

Yes White has played well and yes I think he should be resigned, but lets make any large contract be loaded with incentives.

I think almost ALL contracts should be laden this way.  Espescially with White. 

But he will want playing time, and Rice has one more year left, and not so sure if Gruden will let him go...

White should resign, but for a modest 1 year deal if Rice stays.  IF White leaves, we lose a very key cog on the D-line.  And he is in his prime...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 20, 2006, 08:57:43 AM

What I see from White is 2 or 3 tackles a game, in limited play time.  In those games, I see Rice putting up an assist, a tackle or two...and Rice starts.

So take from that what you want, but White off the pine is putting up better numbers in limited gig-time.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 20, 2006, 09:03:14 AM

He has 4 in limited play time.  Not bad.  Full time, he could easily put up 8 - 10 a season.  And he can tackle...BONUS.  And he has 5 passes defensed.  And he blocks kicks.  And he is always around the ball.

The kid is a hustler, and "high motor" as they get, IMO.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 20, 2006, 09:07:40 AM

So does that mean in all those games earlier this season, when he was used in "enhanced" situations, they took Rice out?

If so, it sounds as if they have lost faith in Simeon.

We all get that you dislike White for one reason or another, despite his results.  That is fine.  But he is not an everydown player, and that is worth noting.

And if he is in on obvious pass downs, he still makes tackles.  And that is at the first line of defense, very important.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 20, 2006, 09:27:53 AM

As for White, I like White. I like White like he's Robin. I like Greg Spires in the same way. He's a valuable and useful member of the team and you need the guy. What I find mind blowing are people who obviously think he's Batman and that he's never shown any ability to be. Let's face it, he wasn't starting when Rice was injured, he wasn't starting when Spires was injured. He's never been able to snake the job away from any non-hurt starter and even starters who have lost effectiveness (Rice this year and Spire last year) kept on playing ahead of him. That says a lot.

I agree that I see White as a younger version of Spires and he has the role of robin on defense.  But I think Monte just like Gruden is reluctant to play a younger player over a veteran.  Ruud is only seeing full playing time becuase of Quarles being injured as well.  White and Ruud so far are showing signs they can replace Spires and Quarles.  With that said the Bucs need batman on the D-line (Gaines Adams :P) to make this defense go at RDE  to replace what Rice used to do and at undertackle (maybe Wyms can be I am not so sure with him being injured).

#13 : November 20, 2006, 09:59:06 AM

He goes in when they are going to rush the passer so he's getting the best of the best opportunities, don't cry to me about "part time". Hey, you think he's Batman then sign him to a Batman contract becuase those sorts of guys are few, far between and really, really valuable.

I think we may very well keep Sim just because of our cap situation next year and because we may not be able to get anything of value out of him at this point.  On the other side, I don't think that Dewayne White is "Batman", but I think we can probably keep him around for less than what Sim is making, and he's a pretty darn good player, nothing mroe, nothing less.

wildbuc99

Rookie

#14 : November 20, 2006, 10:19:04 AM

I hope D.White is resigned as well, but my question is how do you guys think that our DE's would be if White and Rice both started and the odd man out was Spires?  Do you think that would be a good combo?

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody here miss Rice? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools