Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody here miss Rice? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#15 : November 20, 2006, 10:25:33 AM

We need White in there and we need him signed. He has shown that he is a keeper for this franchise. Dump Rice for whatever you can get for the guy.

Baghead #2

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#16 : November 20, 2006, 10:28:38 AM

IF the Bucs bring in a DE from free agency in 2007, re-sign White, continue to develope Jenkins and Bennet, and draft a DE with a day one pick I do not see Rice being here for 2007.  What value would he bring to the table other than being a proven pass rusher in the past?  And if Spires decides to take a pay cut then there is zero reason to keep Rice around if all of that plays out.

But if the Bucs can not re-sign White, can not bring in a free agent DE and can not draft a DE day one (highly unlikely that this worst case scenario plays out) then you might consider keeping Rice.

#17 : November 20, 2006, 10:40:40 AM

I hope D.White is resigned as well, but my question is how do you guys think that our DE's would be if White and Rice both started and the odd man out was Spires?  Do you think that would be a good combo?

Temporarily, yes.  We need to get another DE in here, though.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : November 20, 2006, 12:42:41 PM

I hope D.White is resigned as well, but my question is how do you guys think that our DE's would be if White and Rice both started and the odd man out was Spires? Do you think that would be a good combo?
Would love to see that combo.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#19 : November 20, 2006, 09:23:53 PM

Too often Rice is the invisible man, and I'm talking about when he is healthy.  At least White shows up on the stats.

We're better off getting something for him that will help the team, maybe for several years, as opposed to one more year of Rice. He won't make that big of a difference.

fessy

Second String

#20 : November 20, 2006, 09:51:41 PM

When the backup has more sacks than the starter, I don't.

Trade him Bruce. Get whatever picks you can and extend White's contract.

miss who?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#21 : November 20, 2006, 10:07:01 PM

Rice is hurt that's why he's not creating his usual results and has been most of the year. They never took Rice out, they took Spires out and loaded White in to rush the passer.

As for White, I like White. I like White like he's Robin. I like Greg Spires in the same way. He's a valuable and useful member of the team and you need the guy. What I find mind blowing are people who obviously think he's Batman and that he's never shown any ability to be. Let's face it, he wasn't starting when Rice was injured, he wasn't starting when Spires was injured. He's never been able to snake the job away from any non-hurt starter and even starters who have lost effectiveness (Rice this year and Spire last year) kept on playing ahead of him. That says a lot.

You mean DeWayne White could not "snake" a job away from Spires or Rice (and Rice should have had a pro-bowl year, looking at last years stats), and the BUcs had a number 1 defense last year?  And a top 10 the year before that?

What a shame that is.  Not really, but I hope you get the point.

White is about to step up and become a good pass rusher.  It took him awhile to "snake" a job away from a guy, because the Defense was ranked top 10 for a looooong time.

creekchub00

Starter

#22 : November 20, 2006, 10:19:57 PM

I say trade Rice if we can get a decent draft pick for him. If not then he should stick around, while he isn't putting up numbers as of late like we are used to he still plays well, and does help stop the run on occasion. He has gotten better IMO against the run in each year since he left Arizona. White is playing very well, but I think will play in place of Greg Spires, we should draft another End regardless of what happens though. Since Spires and Rice are both aging and on the tail end of the careers.

IanD15

Rookie

#23 : November 20, 2006, 11:07:17 PM

Trade him for a draft pick.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#24 : November 20, 2006, 11:24:26 PM

I've been a big Rice defender over the past 2 years, but It's hard to argue he's being outplayed right now.  At his age, I might have to agree about looking for a pick in trade.  Don't really think a first day pick would be realistic, but a 4th would be helpful at this point.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#25 : November 21, 2006, 01:54:55 AM

If we can get a 7th round pick for Rice, I say trade him. He isn't worth what we are paying him and I'd rather see White or another young draft pick in there.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

creekchub00

Starter

#26 : November 21, 2006, 02:06:18 AM

Nah, not worth it unless we at least get a 3rd IMO.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#27 : November 21, 2006, 06:49:24 AM

Great debate but you forgot something. Rice is the self proclaimed 'greatest of all time' right up there with Deacon Jones and Reggie White. He is the gold standard, just ask him. Plus he makes a ton of jack, something like $7 Million a year. So, no maybe White isn't as 'great' as Lovetron Rice but he sure brings a hell of a lot more energy and this year  results to each game. I've been bashed on this board for years because I always said that he played 'soft' and now most people are seeing it. Send his a$$ down the road and be done with it.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

gone

Hall of Famer
#28 : November 21, 2006, 12:46:35 PM

White is getting better each year.  Rice isn't.  White has seemingly developed a knack for the big play too.  Rice has that knack, but it hasn't been seen much due to injury. 

IMO the goal this offseason shouldn't be trying to make a ru at the Lombardi, it should be building a solid core for a long time. The issue with rice is his contract.  He may have a few years left, but he's almost done.  If we play him out next year he'll walk after cuz we won't pay what he's worth.  So I say trade him now.  Let someone who thinks they are a DE away from a run eat his contract.  Get some new blood in here and let 'em learn. 
Spires is almost done too, I wouldn't mind seeing White holding the LE.  Get someone younger for RE.  Done right we could be closing in on the SB in '08 and make a real run at it in '09.  Next year should be a training year. Hit the playoffs, but don't sell the farm...
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anybody here miss Rice? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools