Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rich Rod to Michigan? « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#60 : December 19, 2007, 03:40:15 PM

But WVU was not taken serously by the other confrences prior to their loss to Pitt.  I believe, and it is only opinion, that if their schedule was harder this would nat have been the case.  It is the same reason why many believe that Ohio State does not belong in the NC game.  People say that their schedule is weak and that a 2 loss team should be in there over them. 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#61 : December 19, 2007, 03:44:24 PM

The only "people" that matter are the voters and the BCS computers.  Running your program to appease the "people" whose favorite teams are in other conference is a pretty piss poor way to go about it.   IMO. 

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#62 : December 19, 2007, 03:57:49 PM

But WVU was not taken serously by the other confrences prior to their loss to Pitt.

Dude, they were #2 in the country and had locked up a place in the NC game if they beaten Pitt ..... How can you say they weren't being taken seriously??

To see someone who wasn't taken seriously, look at Hawaii .... for obvious very good reasons.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#63 : December 19, 2007, 05:06:49 PM

True, as long as you win it doesn't matter who you play.  They teams are better then most so they get credit there.  I just think 1 big time program should have a rivalry with another.  I see where you guys are coming from and change my mind at least half way.  Their schedule isn't bad it just isnt anything special.  I suppose it is league average and nothing more should be expected.

rayfsc07

Practice Squad

#64 : December 19, 2007, 05:32:28 PM

CFB is a beauty contest.

So long as you play in a so-called "major" conference and have less losses than other teams you should get a look.  WVU is in the Big East so unlike Hawaii it isn't completely necessary that they play any strong OOC opponents so long as they make it through.  In this case they had one loss when most everyone else had 2.  So IF they beat Pitt, they are in.  It's not like Hawaii who is in a so called "lower level" conference who DOES need the strong OOC games to garner respect. 

Where WVU would get hurt is if they had a loss and a team from say SEC or PAC 10 who did play a tough team or so outside were tied, or possibly even just a team from one of the so called "power" conferences.  This season that was not the case as teams form those conferences all had 2 losses.  Therefore, WVU would have been in had they won against Pitt.

IMO if a team wants to ensure an easy path to the big game is by scheduling nobody of record in OOC games (see OSU).  That way if you win your conference games you are virtually assured a berth.  In a year where your conference is down (see OSU) you have an easy path to an undefeated season and a claim to the title game is certain.  It is even easier in the conferences that lack a title game. 

WVU to me is an attractive job. They play in a conference with no title game and that has no national powers on an annual basis.  There are some good teams (USF, Rutgers, Louisville, etc. ) but none are great on a consistent basis. 

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#65 : December 19, 2007, 06:03:17 PM

None are great on a consistent basis YET.   (See USF  ;) )

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#66 : December 20, 2007, 11:00:12 AM

Ray, good post.  The only thing is that if the team is not challenged they are going to get destroyed in the NC game, see OSU last season.  If it happens agian this season will there be some kind of change?  I hope so, I want to see the two best teams in the NC game not just the team with the best record.  Maybe this is where the playoff is needed even if it is only the top four teams. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#67 : January 10, 2011, 07:29:27 PM

Cam is the backup because he was here in the Spring as an EE while Brantley wasn't.  That is why Brantley got the RS.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Brantley be the backup next year.

It would surprise me.

I know Brantley was rated higher coming out of high school, but I think Cam has showed that he is GREAT for this offense.

Not all QB's who are rated higher coming out of HS are better...see Brock Berlin and Rex Grossman.

Prepare to be shocked. 

I'll hold you to it, buddy.

Hmm, looks like Cam Newton not only returned at UF's back-up in 2008 - but he is the far superior College Football player.

Ray/LFO = Fail again

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#68 : January 10, 2011, 07:39:24 PM

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#69 : January 12, 2011, 06:08:34 PM

3 year old thread??   ......... You are too much, Biggsy.     :-\
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rich Rod to Michigan? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools