Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are we about ready to compare our current WR corp.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

« : November 21, 2006, 10:58:29 AM »

to the WR corp we had under the Dungy years

Reidel Anthony=Michael Clayton(great first year went downhill from there)
Jaquez Green=Joey Galloway (very very fast ATH..not that great of a pure WR)
Karl Williams=Ike Hilliard (used primarily on Special Teams)

and a bunch of promising rookies

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

« #1 : November 21, 2006, 11:02:29 AM »

Galloway > Green
Hilliard > Williams   as a WR, not as a PR

« #2 : November 21, 2006, 11:06:25 AM »

Galloway > Green
Hilliard > Williams as a WR, not as a PR

Its ok if you disagree...Galloway makes "some" spectacular catches...however so did Quezie. Both were extrememly fast and both HATE to get hit.

Karl in his limited role as a WR cought some game winning TD's as Ike did...however both were regulated to Special teams for one reason or another

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

« #3 : November 21, 2006, 11:07:06 AM »

It's insulting to mention Galloway and Quezzie in the same sentence.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #4 : November 21, 2006, 11:07:31 AM »

The main problem is that the current QB can't compare to the talent of Trent Dilfer.    The receivers are immaterial.

« #5 : November 21, 2006, 11:08:06 AM »

Can you name one difference?

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #6 : November 21, 2006, 11:08:18 AM »

I can see why one would comapred Galloway to Green but at the end of the day Galloway at his age is still better than Green during his "prime".

Better route runner, better understanding of the offense, knows how to attack a zone, knows how to get off the line with a defender in his face, etc.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
« #7 : November 21, 2006, 11:11:23 AM »

Oh please when was the last time quez had 1000 yrds and 10 TD's? Comparing JG to quez is like comparing aaron stecker to caddy, there is no comparsion.

« #8 : November 21, 2006, 11:11:28 AM »

I can see why one would comapred Galloway to Green but at the end of the day Galloway at his age is still better than Green during his "prime".

Better route runner, better understanding of the offense, knows how to attack a zone, knows how to get off the line with a defender in his face, etc.

Ok I will give you that Galloway being the only exception....how about the others?

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
« #9 : November 21, 2006, 11:12:51 AM »

ADW Quez had a prime?? ??? ???  Maybe I missed that.

« #10 : November 21, 2006, 11:19:23 AM »

ADW Quez had a prime?? ??? ??? Maybe I missed that.

Given the fact we had a run happy offensive philosophy

"1999"  56 recptions for 791 yards 14.1 yards per catch  and 3 TD's is good for that year
not to mention he returned a HUGE pr for a Touchdaon vs green bay I think it was 90+ yards

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #11 : November 21, 2006, 11:29:27 AM »

can you name one similarity besides speed?

Green, Career (66 games): 162 catches, 2311 yds, 14.3 yc, 7 TDs
Galloway as a Buc (36 games): 154 catches, 2329 yds, 15.1 yc,  20 TDs

in just over half the games, Joey has basically matched his stats, is a yard per catch better and has 3 times as many touchdowns.

galloway is a harder worker, more reliable, better runner, more physical (but so is everyone), and is capable of carrying a passing attack on his own at times. .

stereochemistry

Pro Bowler

« #12 : November 21, 2006, 11:42:15 AM »

Ok I will give you that Galloway being the only exception....how about the others?

Karl Williams best season:
1997 - 33 rec, 486 yards, 25 FDs, 4 TDs
after that year (his 2nd in the league and on the team) he never had over 25 catches, over 325 yards, over 15 FDs, and only scored 3 TDs in the next 6 years.  His numbers went down every year until his last year under Dungy, 2001 (his second best season out of 9):
2001 - 24 rec, 314 yards, 15 FDs, 1 TD, 58.5% catch%

Ike Hilliard is going into his second year, so he's really only got one full year to go by (and obviously we don't want to compare his seasons in NY against Williams):

2005 - 35 rec, 282 yards, 24 FDs, 1 TD, 66% catch%

Now, I don't remember much about Karl Williams, so I'm not sure where he ranked on the depth chart, though I assume he was the #3 because you're comparing him to Ike, who was brought on to be a sure handed, #3 possession WR who could get first downs on 3rd down.  He made 666k last season, and was only 456k against the cap.  Williams in 2001 made 804k and counted the 804k against the cap.

Maybe I just don't for as much out of my #3 WRs (especially when we hardly go three wide with the multi TE, multi RB formations Gruden likes), but I'll take 2005 Ike Hilliard over 2001 Karl Williams at half the price that catches more passes thrown to him, and gets 2/3rds of those catches for 1st Downs.  I don't see how Ike is "primarily" used on ST.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
« #13 : November 21, 2006, 11:46:20 AM »

in summary, i think everyone's answer is no, they're not comparable beyond a few superficial similarities...

« #14 : November 21, 2006, 11:47:30 AM »

Karl Williams best season:
1997 - 33 rec, 486 yards, 25 FDs, 4 TDs
after that year (his 2nd in the league and on the team) he never had over 25 catches, over 325 yards, over 15 FDs, and only scored 3 TDs in the next 6 years.  His numbers went down every year until his last year under Dungy, 2001 (his second best season out of 9):
2001 - 24 rec, 314 yards, 15 FDs, 1 TD, 58.5% catch%

Ike Hilliard is going into his second year, so he's really only got one full year to go by (and obviously we don't want to compare his seasons in NY against Williams):

2005 - 35 rec, 282 yards, 24 FDs, 1 TD, 66% catch%

Now, I don't remember much about Karl Williams, so I'm not sure where he ranked on the depth chart, though I assume he was the #3 because you're comparing him to Ike, who was brought on to be a sure handed, #3 possession WR who could get first downs on 3rd down.  He made 666k last season, and was only 456k against the cap.  Williams in 2001 made 804k and counted the 804k against the cap.

Maybe I just don't for as much out of my #3 WRs (especially when we hardly go three wide with the multi TE, multi RB formations Gruden likes), but I'll take 2005 Ike Hilliard over 2001 Karl Williams at half the price that catches more passes thrown to him, and gets 2/3rds of those catches for 1st Downs.  I don't see how Ike is "primarily" used on ST.

I am just asking for a comparison of the recievers at the "current state" as of Ike while he is a Buc and Clayton inn his time as a Buc compared to when Reidel and Karl were in Buc uniforms under Dungy

I will concede Galloway has more to offer than Quezzie
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Are we about ready to compare our current WR corp.... « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools