Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: LAMONTE BEHIND GRUDEN "FEELERS"? « previous next »
Page: 1

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

: November 21, 2006, 12:41:17 PM

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

LAMONTE BEHIND GRUDEN "FEELERS"?

The strong su**CENSORED**ion in league circles is that the recent report that Bucs coach Jon Gruden is putting out "feelers" regarding possible 2007 job openings originated with his agent, Bob LaMonte.

As one industry source told us on Monday, "Lamont is always looking to leverage a better deal for his clients."  So even if Gruden genuinely has no desire to leave Tampa, putting out the word that he might be looking to leap could help get Jon more money.

Creating buzz when there is none is also a wise tactic for an agent when, as in this case, the heat might be turning up on his client.  Indeed, our initial reaction to the Sunday report in the Tampa Tribune regarding possible wanderlust by Gruden was befuddlement, since if anything the talk in league circles has been that Gruden might be wearing out his welcome in Tampa.

Coincidentally (or not), Bucs G.M. Bruce Allen said on Monday that Gruden is doing a great job.  "Within the last two football seasons, we've changed 50 percent of the coaches," Allen said on Monday.  "The good thing here is we don't need a change.  I look at facts.  Coach Gruden is one of the three head coaches who has won a division title four of the last six years.  Andy Reid and Bill Belichick are the others.  He's a good football coach."

Of course, a vote of confidence from Allen is hardly the same thing as a vote of confidence from Jerry Angelo or Ernie Accorsi or any other G.M. who actually has the power to hire and fire a coach.  Gruden doesn't report to Allen.  Indeed, if Gruden goes, Allen is in trouble, too.

So Allen wasn't endorsing Gruden.  Instead, he was covering his own ass.

Anyway, don't be surprised if something goes down in the offseason.  The one thing we're pretty sure it won't be is an extension and a raise for Gruden.

Interesting..................................

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#1 : November 21, 2006, 12:47:08 PM

If Parcells does retire (which I think is pretty likely) I would expect Jones to take a run at Gruden. He has the foundation for a dominant offense for 2-3 years and Owens had great success in the WCO in SF.  The o-line needs some work but Dallas has plenty of weapons and a young QB who looks like he would fit a Gruden offense perfectly.

It could be a win-win for the Glazers if there was a decent coach to bring in to replace Gruden and they get back some of the millions they paid Al Davis (not to mention the draft picks). 

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 21, 2006, 12:49:19 PM

And the plot thickens... *cues up music* :o

#3 : November 21, 2006, 12:51:14 PM

I'm glad a credible news source has broke the story now. ::)

gone

Hall of Famer
#4 : November 21, 2006, 12:56:28 PM

If the stated goal was to clear up the cap by 07, and it was clear what losses you would have to sustain and what opportunities to grab players you had to pass up, I would think the ownership would be aware that you aren't going to be ready to contend in 07. 
If Parcells really did turn down the job because of how screwed up the cap was, and the glazers made it worse with the trade to get Gruden, I would think they understand how big a mess it was.
I just don't see Jon going when it's finally clearing up and we're about to hit a stated goal...

gone

Hall of Famer
#5 : November 21, 2006, 12:57:20 PM

Unlike the Trib, at least they categorize it as a rumor...

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 21, 2006, 12:59:20 PM

PFT has actually broken some big stories, but this is neither breaking nor a story...it's just speculation stacked on top of a misappropriated out-of-context piece of info.

gruden probably shouldn't expect an extension or a raise this offseason, but PFT has brought no new or factual information to the table in this blurb - in fact they fall back on the same "allen is gruden's puppet" line parroted by every other ignorant NFL media outlet to qualify their "analysis"

i listen to PFT when they are communicating quotes or verified facts, but i've never been interested in their spin or "analysis", as they seem to relish inflammatory commentary

#7 : November 21, 2006, 01:00:02 PM

Unlike the Trib, at least they categorize it as a rumor...

True, but I still think it's just PFT trying to start shlt. I could be wrong about this but I don't trust PFT.

coopsxx

Starter
#8 : November 21, 2006, 01:40:44 PM

yeh where there is smoke there is usually fire.

I know PR have a VERY high opinion and a good relationship with PFT's editor so I really wouldn't be surprised.
To be fair, the Allen analysis does make sense.

I hope he doesn't go personally,

if he did who would u replace him with?? for me it's Jeff Fisher, other than him there is really no one of interest out there.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 21, 2006, 01:43:14 PM

It's all just agent work, nothing more and nothing less. That's an agent's job, and as far as I can figure Lamonte probably asked the Cowboys if they felt that Parcells would be back next year and the "leak" to Ira Kaufman came out of the Dallas camp.

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 21, 2006, 01:45:19 PM

Jones can do whatever he wants, its not worth anything.  Gruden is under contract next year.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 21, 2006, 04:00:32 PM

Jones can do whatever he wants, its not worth anything.  Gruden is under contract next year.

Having a coach under contract doesn't mean he can't still leave the team depending on the situation.

:

Hide Tools Show Tools