Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anthony Davis - is he our franchise LT? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bklynbucs11

Starter

: November 24, 2006, 02:17:35 AM

I know how our line has struggled this season - much of it attributing to a lack of consistency and a LOT of youth. Last season we picked up Davin - whose looking pretty damn decent, and Trueblood - who is unforunately showing signs of struggle. I'm not giving up by any means - he is a rookie after all. But his footwork really needs work. I'm pretty sure we go defense all the way in this draft but a franchise LT (ala Thomas) may be tempting.

So, question is this - are you personally comfortable with having Anthony Davis protecting our QB's blindside for the forseeable future? Personally I think he has been far and away our most consistent linemen. His performance from last year has improved drastically. Even though he's now protecting the blindside (last year he wasn't) he's given up olny 2 sacks this season (gave up 7.5 in 15 games last year) and has committed only 1 penalty (A false start) vs 8 last season. Those are pretty damn good numbers for an LT. And in my opinion - we need to lock this guy up and keep him around for at least the next 6 - 7 years.

But thats just one guy's opinion. After all, despite the inconsistency and much improvement for Davis - it seems the line overall may be somewhat worse. Much of its' the rookies and Buenning's injury - buit offensive line is one of those things where poor performance is generally a testament to the whole line instead of 1 or 2 guys.

So - are you personally comfortable with Davis being the franchise LT?

escobar

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 24, 2006, 02:26:20 AM

But his footwork really needs work

I think Truebloods main problem is that he gets too high in his stance. He is too damn tall to stand so upright. A 6'3 and under DE, with the strength these guys have today, is going to have no problem knocking him off balance if he continues to play so upright. How in the hell Muir got the label of "best o-line" coach is beyond me.

BuccoJD

Starter

#2 : November 24, 2006, 02:56:43 AM

Davis hasn't been mentioned much ately, and thats the sign that an o-lineman is doing his job. I'm a Davis fan, and I see him here (along with Joeseph and Trueblood) for the next 5-10 years. We could use help at the LG position and possibly a change at C.

I also think the line has improved in terms of pass protection, but the run blocking has been pathetic. Hopefully this unit gels next year, as they do have a ton of upside.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#3 : November 24, 2006, 08:12:18 AM

I think Davis is ok and seems to be getting better.  The concern now is that Buenning has a serious injury and we need a new C.  Other than that Trueblood does need to be coached better but I think he'll be ok.

T

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 24, 2006, 09:07:38 AM

Davis is servicable but not a "Franchise" LT. Franchise means irreplaceable or untradeable, and Davis is neither.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 24, 2006, 09:16:12 AM

I do not see Davis as a franchise LT but he is serviceable and showing signs of improvement.  I would not mind if the Bucs headed into next year with him as the starter at LT.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 24, 2006, 09:54:58 AM

Davis is serviceable, and Trueblood is never going to be a premier tackle either.  If we have a righthanded QB I think Trueblood will be just fine on the right but we need a change at LT.

coopsxx

Starter
#7 : November 24, 2006, 10:51:20 AM

we have so many more problems than Davis, he will be the starter until we fill the other glaring problems that are causing us to loose. not one of these losses is Davis fault, mayeb a few plays here and there, but there are players costing us games with there individual performances

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 24, 2006, 11:05:54 AM

I'm happy with Davis, hes shown improvement this year in the pass blocking department, and he was always a solid run blocker. We have far greater needs on Defense to spend yet another pick on a O-Lineman, in fact I'd be irate if we did.

All in all, I honestly think our O-Line has improved this year. We just need a new Center and then we should go with the other 4.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 24, 2006, 11:08:50 AM

I'm happy with Davis, hes shown improvement this year in the pass blocking department, and he was always a solid run blocker. We have far greater needs on Defense to spend yet another pick on a O-Lineman, in fact I'd be irate if we did.

All in all, I honestly think our O-Line has improved this year. We just need a new Center and then we should go with the other 4.

our O-line stinks.....we are in max-protect 95% of the time, and that is why no receivers are open.  FA will dictate what we do in the draft.  Maybe three or four decent D players in FA will give the D a kick start.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 24, 2006, 11:11:26 AM

our O-line stinks.....

I disagree completey.  Do not buy into what they are selling you MJS.  Look at the results for yourself.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-PASSING/2006/regular?sort_col_1=8&_1:col_1=11

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 24, 2006, 11:16:50 AM

our O-line stinks.....

I disagree complete.  Do not buy into what they are selling you MJS.  Look at the results for yourself.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-PASSING/2006/regular?sort_col_1=8&_1:col_1=11

We are in max-protect 95% of the time, that is why there are limited receiving options.  The only guy getting open is Galloway and he runs the same vertical route every play.  Try looking at the list sorted this way:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-SCORING/2006/regular

BTW - we will be doing OK in some stats, like sacks, because our O is three and out that often the opposing Ds don't get enough opportunities to get sacks.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 24, 2006, 11:21:17 AM

We are in max-protect 95% of the time, that is why there are limited receiving options.  The only guy getting open is Galloway and he runs the same vertical route every play.  Try looking at the list sorted this way:

No.  The Bucs are not even in max protect half of the time this year compared to last year.  The Bucs have had to open it up a lot of times becuase they trail due to the defense not being able to stop anyone.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-SCORING/2006/regular

How come the Lions have a better average in points per game and yet have given up a lot of sacks?

BTW - we will be doing OK in some stats, like sacks, because our O is three and out that often the opposing Ds don't get enough opportunities to get sacks.

Nice in theory but reality is the Lions and Raiders have PLENTY of three outs and have surrendered a lot more sacks than the Bucs.  It is not even close.

The Bucs o-line has done fine throughout the year with the changes and with two rooks starting next to each other and a rookie QB.   The Bucs o-line is middle of the road and that is signs of progress in my very honest opinion.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 24, 2006, 11:28:41 AM

Nice in theory but reality is the Lions and Raiders have PLENTY of three outs and have surrendered a lot more sacks than the Bucs.  It is not even close.

The Bucs o-line has done fine throughout the year with the changes and with two rooks starting next to each other and a rookie QB.   The Bucs o-line is middle of the road and that is signs of progress in my very honest opinion.

What the hell have the Lions and Raiders got to do with our O-line.  You want to hang your hat and argument on comparing us to two of the worst team in football...how ridiculous.

Davis - serviceable at best, decent in the run poor in pass protection.

Buenning - bright future, better in the run than pass.

Center - we suck

Joseph - he is the real deal, future pro-bowler

Trueblood - average talent, will always struggle in pass protection.

Now book mark this post and bring it back up in a year or two.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 24, 2006, 11:36:06 AM

What the hell have the Lions and Raiders got to do with our O-line.  You want to hang your hat and argument on comparing us to two of the worst team in football...how ridiculous.

If it makes you feel better.

Here is a list of teams that have surrendered more sacks this year than the Bucs so far:

Oakland
Detroit
Cleveland
St Louis
Seattle
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Miami
Atlanta
Houston
Arizona
Cincinatti
Minnesotta
New York (Jets)
Dallas
Kansas City
San Francisco

Teams that have given up just as many sacks as the Bucs (tied):

Philidelphia
Carolina

Davis - serviceable at best, decent in the run poor in pass protection.

Disagree.  Davis is above average in the running game and average in pass protection.  That is why he is serviceable.  If he was not average in pass protection he can not be really considered serviceable.

Now book mark this post and bring it back up in a year or two.

If Kromer is gone and Muir is still here I will personally bump this thread up next year lol.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Anthony Davis - is he our franchise LT? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools