Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's hard to watch « previous next »
Page: 1

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: November 24, 2006, 09:59:19 AM

I haven't run through all the threads yet, but there's one thought from the Cowboys game that I had to get out there: it is very, very hard to watch what has become of this defense. There was a day when the Buccaneers licked their chops over the prospect of facing an inexperienced QB. There was a day when the Buccaneers WANTED the opponents to throw the football. There was a day when they crushed QB's with sacks and feasted on INT's.

Third and long? Ha. Teams might as well fold their tents and send in the punting unit.

They were fast.
They were smart.
They were the best-tackling team in football.

They were feared.

All of that is gone now. It's painful to watch this defensive unit that is now almost completely ineffective. The Cowboys offense might have had the same amount of resistence had the Bucs defense simply stayed on the bench.

I know things are cyclical in the NFL. I know that 9 years of defensive dominance is practically unheard of in the modern league and that ultimately this day was due. That doesn't make it any easier to stomach.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 24, 2006, 10:05:55 AM

I agree so much.  I have to go back and remind myself by watching the old highlight and SB DVDs.  They showed a close-up of Brooks towards the end of the game and that one shot said it all.  Heart breaking.  I will say this though.  As time goes by, I think more people throughout the league will begin to say how great of a defense we actually had back in the day here at Tampa.  I still think the 2002 defensive squad goes down as one of the top three ever in the NFL.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 24, 2006, 10:44:02 AM

It is tough to watch but I am a Bucs fans so I will keep watching.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 24, 2006, 10:48:22 AM

Me too.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 24, 2006, 11:45:49 AM

All good posts and I agree.  I was at the game yesterday and it was indeed tough to watch (especially surrounded by drunken and smug Cowboys fans).  If there's any good news is we have an exciting offseason ahead of us.  Hopefully by 2008 we can again have a defense to be proud of.

alstott40

Pro Bowler

#5 : November 24, 2006, 11:52:15 AM

we are a dieing breed

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 24, 2006, 12:12:11 PM

we are a dieing breed

Not necessarily but I can see our numbers shrinking. 

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 24, 2006, 02:11:53 PM

I don't think difficult is enough to describe it. When you see this uniform all you can think of is defense and it's jut not there. I'm a Buc fan no matter what but the Jack Daniles went down faster and faster as the game went on.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: It's hard to watch « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools