Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Martz « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

alldaway

Hall of Famer

: November 24, 2006, 10:14:57 AM

Build an offense around Simms?  Not even Martz can cure the batted balls.

Sure he can, he throws long passes off 5 and 7 step drops. He's gonna get his QB so far away from the line you can't bat the balls. He's got a whole different scheme than Gruden. Frankly, Martz is a guy Simms should be working with just as much as Grads is a guy who needs to be working with Gruden.

Now, the price of that is that Turnstile and Davis have to  try and block on 5-7 step drops and that thought'll make Simms have phantom spleen pain.

Considering the Bucs o-line has played better than the Lions o-line and Martz is still producing results even with bad o-line play I do not think that is a big worry.  If it is there is that cap space and draft picks sitting out there to be used.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 24, 2006, 10:11:07 AM

I hope not....unless you want Caddy to get 10-15 touches a game

Well it is either one thing or another.

Gruden has always tried to run a ball control style offense but has not produced a lot of points over the years.   Martz is the polar opposite and will generate points but little ball control.

If fans are clamoring for this team to light up the scoreboard then Martz is the offensive "genius" they are looking for.  If they want a coach that excells at "Dungy ball" then Gruden is the offensive "genius" for it.

:D

Mike Martz = no Gradkowski. Totally wrong fit, OTOH you might see another Simms sighting because he's a great fit.

I agree.  The tables would be turned in that Simms would have the edge over Gradkowski in that type of an offense. 

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#2 : November 24, 2006, 10:10:10 AM

Build an offense around Simms?  Not even Martz can cure the batted balls.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 24, 2006, 10:09:01 AM

that would be a couple more than he is getting now.   ;)

#4 : November 24, 2006, 10:09:51 AM

that would be a couple more than he is getting now. ;)
I dunno whether to laugh or cry...

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 24, 2006, 10:08:31 AM

Is something wrong with All_da_way? Is a screw loose?  Well yes and no.  :D

Mike Martz might possibly end up as the head coach in 2007 of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  Madness you say?

Martz has been producing results even though he does not have a lot to work with on offense with the Lions this year (I mean that Lions o-line is way worse than the Bucs).  Defensively he prefers the Bucs style of defensive play .  He likes the speed and ability to generate turnovers/sacks that makes it an aggressive defense just like his offense.

Sure the Glazers could keep Gruden one more year but if he has another losing season then what?  If Jeff Fischer, Mike Martz, etc are available this off season the Glazers might be tempted to go with either one this year and not wait till next year.  It would excite some of the ticket holders and would offer a chage of direction.

The Glazers will be considering ALL options right now because they are good businessmen.  Everyone thinks Gruden will be here for at least one more year but if they have doubts about him maybe now is the time to pull the trigger.  We have a healthy cap situation and a full set of draft picks, so it would be an ideal time for a new coach to come in.  

I am not a Martz fan but I can see some value in bringing him in before FA and letting him build an offense around Simms.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 24, 2006, 10:07:56 AM

If Gruden stays here next season, I would hope that the OC position is filled by someone other than Gruden. 

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 24, 2006, 10:04:12 AM

Is something wrong with All_da_way? Is a screw loose?  Well yes and no.  :D

Mike Martz might possibly end up as the head coach in 2007 of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  Madness you say?

Martz has been producing results even though he does not have a lot to work with on offense with the Lions this year (I mean that Lions o-line is way worse than the Bucs).  Defensively he prefers the Bucs style of defensive play .  He likes the speed and ability to generate turnovers/sacks that makes it an aggressive defense just like his offense.

Sure the Glazers could keep Gruden one more year but if he has another losing season then what?  If Jeff Fischer, Mike Martz, etc are available this off season the Glazers might be tempted to go with either one this year and not wait till next year.  It would excite some of the ticket holders and would offer a chage of direction.

#8 : November 24, 2006, 10:06:33 AM

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#9 : November 24, 2006, 10:15:30 AM

Fischer has gone 15-37 the last 3 1/2 seasons and that's going to get fans excited?

Martz needs weapons to be successful and the Bucs have a vertical threat.  Martz needs receievers who can cut and cross which is not Galloway's forte.

It's wishful thinking to believe a coaching change alone will turn this team around that quick.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 24, 2006, 10:16:38 AM

Barring a drastic change of heart, Gruden is safe through next season. There may be coaching changes on the staff, but Gruden himself is secure. Again, barring a change of heart.

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#11 : November 24, 2006, 10:16:53 AM

You need good pass protection to afford 7 step drops with frequency.  I don't see it without significant upgrades at LT, LG, and probably RT too.

The only way out of this mess is to improve run blocking and build an identity around the best player on the offense,  Cadillac.

PoundThaRock

Rookie

#12 : November 24, 2006, 10:18:16 AM

mike martz will not be the awnser to the bucs decline.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 24, 2006, 10:18:41 AM

You need good pass protection to afford 7 step drops with frequency.  I don't see it without significant upgrades at LT, LG, and probably RT too.

The only way out of this mess is to improve run blocking and build an identity around the best player on the offense,  Cadillac.

I think a Joe Thomas in the draft would give us enough talent on the O-line to protect the QB.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 24, 2006, 10:19:18 AM

Fischer has gone 15-37 the last 3 1/2 seasons and that's going to get fans excited?

Martz needs weapons to be successful and the Bucs have a vertical threat.  Martz needs receievers who can cut and cross which is not Galloway's forte.

It's wishful thinking to believe a coaching change alone will turn this team around that quick.

Fischer has had to deal with TWO rebuilding periods (in other words cap purges) becuase the Titans front office is poor with cap management. 

Martz does not have a lot of weapons to work with in Detroit either and is still producing results.    And no a coaching change is not guaranteed to produce a winning season but a change of direction might be in the forecast to appease some ticket holders.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mike Martz « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools