Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vick Standing Pat With Enablers at His Side - Jason Whtilock « previous next »
Page: 1

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

: November 24, 2006, 07:12:55 PM

Vick Standing Pat With Enablers at His Side
By JASON WHITLOCK
AOL
Sports Commentary

Michael Vick, coach killer? Truer words have never been spoken. Thank you, Jim Mora Sr.

A coach killer needs three ingredients: 1. a fat contract; 2. more potential than work ethic; 3. a passionate group of enablers willing to rationalize any and every shortcoming.

Vick has all that and more. He’s a black quarterback playing in a predominantly black city filled with unsophisticated football fans who view any criticism of Vick as racism. Vick will never reach his potential because Jim Mora Jr. is handcuffed by racial politics, and he’s forced to pamper Vick.

That’s why Mora Jr.’s daddy, Jim Sr., agreed with his radio co-host who described Vick as a coach killer. Now I don’t want to put words in Jim Mora Sr.’s mouth. I’m sure he doesn’t want to publicly touch the racial elements of Vick’s underachievement.

I do.

For the last three years, I’ve been hammered by Atlanta sports fans for my constant criticism of Vick. I’ve been called an Uncle Tom. I’ve been called a white racist by e-mailers unaware of my skin color.

I’m good with all of that. I know who I am. I also know that Vick would be a far better player and consistent winner if Atlanta sports fans removed their heads from Vick’s rear end and demanded that he work on the fundamentals of playing quarterback.

You can blame suspect play-calling, poor receivers and an average offensive line for Atlanta’s woes, but most of the blame should be directed at the guy with the $140-million contract and the most raw talent since John Elway. Despite Dan Reaves, terrible receivers, average running backs and a mediocre offensive line, Elway carried the Broncos to three Super Bowls in his first seven seasons.

Denver fans were on Elway’s ###### damn near his entire career, and Elway is/was the greatest player ever to play the game.

Meanwhile in Atlanta, Vick, a six-year vet, is being pampered into mediocrity. The fact that he doesn’t do the little things – constant film study, attention to footwork, leadership – is rarely addressed by the national or local media.

Vick is exciting. He runs around in the pocket, sells tickets and is the greatest Madden video game quarterback in the history of Playstation. That, along with a 117-yard passing effort in a 2002 playoff victory at Green Bay, seems to be good enough for Vick’s groupies.

Not for me.

Michael Vick will never reach his potential. Atlanta football fans, a $140-million contract and racial politics have spoiled a great talent.

Well done Jason. I finally agree with you.

#1 : November 24, 2006, 07:13:46 PM

Couldn't have happened to a better franchise.

#2 : November 24, 2006, 07:17:21 PM

I agree, but WHitlock is still a moron

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 24, 2006, 07:18:22 PM

I agree, but WHitlock is still a moron

I feel ya but this article is great.

#4 : November 24, 2006, 07:18:38 PM

Whitlock 2
ESPN 0

T

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 24, 2006, 07:49:21 PM

Best article he has ever written.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 25, 2006, 05:57:08 AM

I love it LOL!!!

watson

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 25, 2006, 06:49:44 AM

And people in Tampa are screaming for Gradkowski's head after 7 games!!!  wow!!!!!!

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

replica

Hall of Famer
#8 : November 25, 2006, 08:38:27 AM

I'd take Vick right now..
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Vick Standing Pat With Enablers at His Side - Jason Whtilock « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools