Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official 2008 Tampa Bay Rays Discussion Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 447

LFO

Hall of Famer

: September 23, 2008, 08:32:06 PM

It had to have been a generic password then.

Either way, excited it sold out, but I knew they would.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#1 : July 23, 2008, 10:53:01 PM

I just don't want to see the foot come off the throttle. 
Does this sound like someone who is not excited about the Rays season? My original post was questioning where the enthusiasm had gone.

your original post actually mentioned hte team's hitting.  the second one finished with the throttle along with other stuff, the third started with the 2001 (previous ownership/FO) and the next year song and dance comment.

Bottom line is the team is in a pennant race at the end of July.  18 games over .500 with 62 to play.  Has improved drastically adn become a playoff contender in 3 years with the new ownership just like they said they would.  There's no reason to be negative at this point.  Sure we can talk about what they need to be better.  Happens all the time here. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#2 : May 07, 2008, 08:57:06 AM

Bartlett is finally making the routine plays, as well as the special ones.  I just hope those bloop singles keep coming...that's perfect from the nine hitter.

The jersey is on layaway to see if his defense keeps up.  ;)  Bartlett looked like an All-Star last night, hope he keeps it up.

And that Hinske homer was a BLAST!

#3 : February 17, 2008, 04:39:07 AM

Closing in on Spring Training, time for some baseball. These are going to be the beginning of some memorable times in Rays history so if you are new to baseball or looking for someone to root for this is the best time to jump aboard.

If you're new to the game this thread is all about the Rays, post news, rumors, opinions, ect. , the latter as long as it's not a pointless 'RAYS SUCK, LOL' BS that some around here will likely do.

So, here's to a good season of Tampa / St. Pete baseball.

#4 : February 17, 2008, 04:50:05 AM

My first predictions...Boston will flounder and be a mediocre team much of the year...New York is in need of some serious quick fixes. I fully believe in Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Wang but other than that they don't have a reliable arm on the roster. Mussina is done, prospects Ian Kennnedy and Humberto Sanchez are relative unknowns, Pettitte is likely on the brink of retiring or facing possible suspension. It will be a rough going in the AL East, if this pitching staff doesnt shape up real quick.

As bad as Baltimore is and as mediocre as I  think Toronto will be, and as well as I think the Rays matchup with jugernauts Boston and NY on paper I dont think we have a real chance at competing for the AL East this year. Its just too big of a jump in one season. I think Boston and New York will pull it together, but as of now they are both on shaky ground even enough to give this years Rays team hope

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#5 : February 17, 2008, 03:44:49 PM

if the Rays can stay healthy, i think they can have a very good (payroll considering) season.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

#6 : February 17, 2008, 05:00:50 PM

There's no reason for the Bosox to flounder. Look at their competition. 

Thanks for starting a thread. I'm going to try to follow MLB a little more closely this season - I gave up on baseball a decade ago, but really, really want to love the game again as I did as a kid. 

But will the Sox rotation holdup against the AL East?

Beckett = Kazmir
Matsuzaka = Shields
Lester < Garza
Wakefield = Sonnanstine
Buchholz = Niemann

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 17, 2008, 05:06:11 PM

Beckett = Kazmir
Matsuzaka = Shields
Lester < Garza
Wakefield = Sonnanstine
Buchholz = Niemann

im not ready to go that far, but i think the Rays have a young, good (potentially great) rotation.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 17, 2008, 05:12:36 PM

Beckett = Kazmir
Matsuzaka = Shields
Lester < Garza
Wakefield = Sonnanstine
Buchholz = Niemann

Beckett > Kazmir - Come on, Ronde.  I like Kaz, but he is no Beckett.  Beckett has every pitch Kaz does, with better control and tops out at 100,101, while Kaz tops out around 95, 96.

Matsuzaka < Shields - I might give that match-up to Shields

Lester = Garza - I would make them equal... maybe a slight edge to Lester because he is a Lefty

Wakefield = Sonnanstine - I would agree, but Wakefield is a Ray-killer

Buchholz > Niemann - Possibly...Niemann has a lot to prove while Bucholz already has proved he can do it with a no-hitter.

#9 : February 19, 2008, 02:13:35 PM

I might give uyou Buchholz just because Niemann hasnt played an MLB game, and like you said Buchholz has a no no. As far as what kidn of prospects they were, they were near equals

When did Beckett start throwing a slider? I love beckett, he is an amazing pitcher. Beckett is 28 and Kazmir is 24. Beckett has  a career ERA of 3.74 and whip of 1.23. Kazmir has a career ERA of 3.64 and whip of 1.39. Kazmir is a more prolific strikeout pitcher. In the 2nd half of 2007 Kazmir posted a 2.39 ERA and 1.14 WHIP with 124 Ks in 94 innings. Becketts 2nd half numbers were, 3.10ERA, 1.15 whip, 98 innings 102 Ks. Beckett gave up 11 HR, and a .249 opponents BA. Kazmir gave up 6 HR and a .222 opponents BA. What is your argument for Kazmir not being at Beckett;s level? The fact that Beckett has a bigger name from playing for 2 World Series level teams?

Lester is not = Garza. Ask any ML scout and Garza is a better pro prospect than Lester. Lester has been overrated because a) he picthes for the Sox, and b) he had cancer a year ago

#10 : February 19, 2008, 02:17:05 PM

What Im saying is, take the name off the front of the jersey and go team by team evaluating SP rotations in the AL East and Boston and New York should find themselves in serious trouble trying to get guys out. With the losses of Schilling and Pettitte NY and Boston have very thin rotations now

I know Pettitte isnt hurt, but he isnt the 16 mil pitcher they thought they were getting. More of Georgies money down the drain. Pettitte has admitted his legs arent where they need to be, and we all know his head isnt where it needs to be. No more Clemens to bail them out inb mid may either, his career is over

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#11 : February 19, 2008, 02:23:56 PM

rays top two spots in the rotation are damn tough.

I'm going to hope to draft one or the other depedning on how the draft flows.

#12 : February 19, 2008, 02:31:15 PM

Also watch out for the names Garza and Niemann this year. They both have front of the rotation stuff and will be in the Rays rotation much of the year

Good luck to your Brew crew, they have an exiciting, talented team VERY similar to this years Ray's team. It would be a lot of fun if the Rays were in the NL Central this year.

TURBO, have you ever been to a game in the new stadium?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 19, 2008, 02:38:09 PM

When did Beckett start throwing a slider? I love beckett, he is an amazing pitcher. Beckett is 28 and Kazmir is 24. Beckett has  a career ERA of 3.74 and whip of 1.23. Kazmir has a career ERA of 3.64 and whip of 1.39. Kazmir is a more prolific strikeout pitcher. In the 2nd half of 2007 Kazmir posted a 2.39 ERA and 1.14 WHIP with 124 Ks in 94 innings. Becketts 2nd half numbers were, 3.10ERA, 1.15 whip, 98 innings 102 Ks. Beckett gave up 11 HR, and a .249 opponents BA. Kazmir gave up 6 HR and a .222 opponents BA. What is your argument for Kazmir not being at Beckett;s level? The fact that Beckett has a bigger name from playing for 2 World Series level teams?

Beckett has a 12-6 curve to Kaz's slider...both are dominating.  You listed all of those stats from the second half, where Beckett was in cruise-control and Kazmir was finally breaking out of his year-long slump.   The walks are really what is KILLING Kaz.  He tries to be too perfect sometimes, instead of challenging hitters.  I expect him to get better at that. Here are the year's stats:

W/L    ERA     K       WHIP    BB 
Josh Beckett:  20-7    3.27    194    1.14    40
Scott Kazmir:  13-9    3.48    239    1.38    89

And those World Series you mentioned, Beckett was the WS MVP for the Marlins and was the ALCS MVP last year...which really was the world series.  Beckett game one of the WS this year going 7 innings, allowing 1 run on 6 hits, and striking out 9 batters.

Beckett is the best big-game pitcher in the league today.  I love Kaz, but he has some learning to do before he is on Beckett's level.

Lester is not = Garza. Ask any ML scout and Garza is a better pro prospect than Lester. Lester has been overrated because a) he picthes for the Sox, and b) he had cancer a year ago

Would you trade Garza for Johan Santana?  I would and most of those same scouts you talk about would...but Boston didn't want to.  They may be the same as far as prospects go...I hope Garza proves he is better.  ;)

#14 : February 19, 2008, 02:52:10 PM

we are splitting hairs here, even if I give Beckett the edge over Kazmir it isnt by a lot. probably about the same difference between Shields and Dice K. My point is, Boston and New York do not have better SP than Tampa and if Tampa's bullpen can pull it together and be close to as good as either of those bullpens we are talking about some interesting matchups this year
Page: 1 2 3 ... 447
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ~~~~~The Official 2008 Tampa Bay Rays Discussion Thread~~~~~ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools