Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms to Test Market « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

« #15 : November 30, 2006, 12:13:38 PM »

Oh well... Simms isn't indispensable, he can leave if he wants to. Adalius Thomas would be a pretty good signing if we could get him to come here but I think he'll go to a 3-4 and be a Rosie Colvin type player.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #16 : November 30, 2006, 12:16:31 PM »

As you can see, this report aligns with what most of us have been saying. The Bucs will offer him a contract, he'll see what else he can get, the Bucs won't break the bank to bring him back, and we'll have to see who else is interested and at what price.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #17 : November 30, 2006, 12:19:45 PM »

It's obviously the smart play on Simms part, but if the Bucs have to replace him, it's going to take some serious coin anyway for it to be an upgrade.

Generally, you get what you pay for.

BucsAddict

Starter

« #18 : November 30, 2006, 12:23:21 PM »

this is what I expected to happen, thats why i was surprised by Mortenson saying they had offered him a "signficant" contract.

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

« #19 : November 30, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »

simms would do good in cleveland  what do you guys think?

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

« #20 : November 30, 2006, 12:29:44 PM »

Good, go somewhere else Simms. You've worn out your welcome as far as I'm concerned. Go lay those eggs on another team. Don't let the door hit ya on the wat out.

Also, let another team overpay for him. They'll soon find out the real Simms.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #21 : November 30, 2006, 12:30:13 PM »

this is what I expected to happen, thats why i was surprised by Mortenson saying they had offered him a "signficant" contract.

Maybe Mort left the off the "in"?

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #22 : November 30, 2006, 12:34:20 PM »

Seriously, just because he didn't sign the offer doesn't mean it wasn't significant. Because how is Simms agent supposed to know what exactly is significant until other teams are allowed to make offers?

Some people in here draw conclusions way too quickly..

CeriousBuc

Practice Squad

« #23 : November 30, 2006, 12:37:28 PM »

Seriously, just because he didn't sign the offer doesn't mean it wasn't significant. Because how is Simms agent supposed to know what exactly is significant until other teams are allowed to make offers?

Some people in here draw conclusions way too quickly..

I don't think anyone is drawing any conclusions. Mort said significant, and most likely he was talking in terms of average Qb salaries around the league (8.5 mil). I think Mort had it wrong, but if they did offer him a significant contract and he passed it up hen he has no plans to remain in Tampa.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #24 : November 30, 2006, 12:38:58 PM »

I think Simms is a goner but I wouldn't sign at this juncture either until you at least see what is out there on the table, why would he sign.

The Ravens do feel they will get Adalius Thomas back though, I heard that, but it is always about the dollars and we have them. He or Briggs would be great. Briggs just turned 26 and Thomas will be 30 by kickoff next year, just something to think about when you are talking about dropping a lot of cash on a guy.

Baghead #2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #25 : November 30, 2006, 12:42:28 PM »

With the glut of cap space in the NFL this season, and the lack of FA QBs, I am sure Simms will get a couple of good offers.  A $35 million five years contract can easily be structured so that a team are not in the hole with a player, i.e. Griese.   I think a team like Detroit will offer him $10+ million signing bonus and another $25 million over five years.

original

Pro Bowler

« #26 : November 30, 2006, 12:49:36 PM »

Three other rumors from Fox sports

Rumor 1

Rumors ran rampant Wednesday that QB Chris Simms had signed a two-year deal with the Bucs. Only problem, it wasn't true. An erroneous Pittsburgh Post-Gazette story stated that Simms had signed with Tampa Bay. "There are a lot of reports going on around here," Coach Jon Gruden said. "I will certainly be happy to let everybody know if there is somebody who signs, but that's speculation right now. I don't have any news to report other than we're looking into his situation. "There is no contract that has been signed." A report surfaced Monday that the Bucs had offered Simms a two-year deal. Simms, who was placed on injured reserve after suffering a ruptured spleen in the Sept. 24 game against Carolina, becomes an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Bucs GM Bruce Allen said the team has always had an interest in keeping Simms in Tampa.

Rumor 2

Those who know Chris Simms are predicting the quarterback will not re-sign with Tampa Bay any time before he is first allowed to test the free-agent market, which he will this winter. The prevailing feeling is that the Buccaneers still are the favorites to retain the rights of their quarterback. Simms would like to remain in Tampa. But if another team wants Simms badly enough -- and demonstrates it through its contract offer -- then Tampa Bay easily could find itself searching for another quarterback.

Rumor 3

Bucs QB Chris Simms is now considering a two-year offer that he described as "a starting point," but significant enough for the 26-year-old to consider remaining with the team that drafted him in the third round in 2003. "They offered a contract," he said. "There's still a few things that have got to be worked out or whatever. I can't tell you what they are. My agents are working on that. Hopefully everything can work out. "If we can get it done, without question, without a doubt, I want to be here."

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

« #27 : November 30, 2006, 12:51:34 PM »

It makes me wonder if his agent put this story out there so that other teams that "MAY" be interested in Simms would call and see if it was true.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #28 : November 30, 2006, 12:52:53 PM »

Simms ripped Bruce Allen's arm off and signed the tendered a few months ago, why?  because he wanted to test FA.  There is no way in hell Simms will sign anything with the Bucs before FA unless it is a substantial long term deal OR a two year deal on close to starters money.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

« #29 : November 30, 2006, 12:53:36 PM »

I don't think anyone is drawing any conclusions. Mort said significant, and most likely he was talking in terms of average Qb salaries around the league (8.5 mil). I think Mort had it wrong, but if they did offer him a significant contract and he passed it up hen he has no plans to remain in Tampa.

Yea, I guess Mort was the one who initiated the "significant" part, but I don't think Simms is intent on leaving town just because he turned down the offer, however "sig..." it was.

It's just smart business to go out and see what his market value is. Speculation is going to run rampant in here, I guess that was my point...

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms to Test Market « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools