Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms to Test Market « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#75 : December 02, 2006, 02:48:27 AM

Nothing to do with love, but the circumstances surrounding Simms on the O-line (espescially there LOUSY pass protection), the defenses total inability to stop anything the first two games (franchise record for the Falcons running the ball, right?), Caddy not getting the ball, oir showing he can run with it the first two games, led to an all out passing attack for the Bucs to get them back withing striking range. I cannot explain any more in detail about the circumstances of his picks. Would the Bucs beat the Ravens if Simms did not throw those picks? Hell no. Those picks were attempts on a stellar defense to breathe some life into the offense. Almost the same scenario versus ATL. Go back and read. He started to play like an "intangible" QB versus Carolina, and that is almost after dying. And the defense AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN failed to do what they are supposed to do. And that was get the Panthers off the field. Instead, the kick the FG, game over. Blame that on Simms? HELL NO! The man almost died. He is a tough SOB for taking that abuse and playing till the end. He almost died dude.

He could have easily been 2 and 1. Of course, yielding 300 plus on the ground chews up TOP, trailing means passing the abll a LOT (which he did versus ATL), and not being able to get Delhomme off the field on fourth and ten completely LOST THE GAME. Not Simms.

So in short, YES, the defense ABSOLUTELY COST THE BUCS two of three games while Simms started. Throw in a little sprinkling of Zebra Buffoonery (holding on NEce?!?!?), and Simms did what he could to win. BAtted passes? Seven of them? Yeah, it is a problem. But using PVC pipes with a jersey to help him solve the problem is like throwin cups of water on a forest fire...so the coaching staff should have had the defense practice more like the opposition would. And for what it is worth, Simms should have been allowed to run out of the Star Wars formation given the lines inability to give him pass pro. It would have spared him a few moments before he got smooshed into the turf.

It is not that silly to think the way I do. I think it is silly to not consider what I say as to have some merit though.

Grads? He will NEVER guide the Bucs to a Lombardi, or a playoff shot. He is small, not that mobile, and can't hit open targets. Timing? Hell man, if the man is open, you get the ball to him. How many piss poor throws can the man make before the red flag raises.

Grads has had 8 games with the bullets flying. Not a lot, but consider that Simms has had 15 games. And he had his shouldeer annihilated by Steussie, and had to work behind a lot more depth than Grads does. What Grads has done is not too impressive. It is more like a "meh" job. I am sorry, but 110 yard games do not impress me. Nor do 10 yard rushing performances. Or 53 percent completion percentages in a dink-dunk offense. Grads is a backup.

And that is all he will ever be.

Boid you couldn't be more wrong:
Baltimore on 1st possesion scores. The Simms quickly goes three and out with a run for no gain, a batted pass to Alstott, and throw for a one yard loss to Becht. We punt our defense holds then we get the ball back, Get to our 40 Chris thorws a TD to McCallister-- oops he plays for the other team. We get ball back and do nothing, defnese holds again. We are down by 14 at this point and Chris throws a pick to the DT after his ball is batted because he throws like crap. Imagine Baltimore scores off the turnover. So down by only 7 Simms costs us a 14 pt swing. Yeah that game wasn't his fault. Please!!! Sure the defense did not play well but they held BMore to 270yds 14 pts if not for Simms costly turnovers. Hell Simms gave them golden field position and the D held 2 FG's off his TO's the other threw to Mac for the score. I love your attempt at revisionist history though. Sure the line played bad and we couldn't run becasue thanks to Chris we had to play catch up but to act like his Int's were not his fault are crazy down 7-0 were still in it--he throws a pick for a score-- down 14-0 early in the second were still in it all you need is a TD by half and then you have the ball back to start third and Chris throws another pick. Down by 17 in the 4th Chris throws another pick, Baltimore scores off the turnover. BMore scored 17 off Simms turnovers-- He had a lot of fault in that loss.

Atlanta game-- to say this game wasn't Simms fault is 100% pure Grade A BS. Sure the defnese got gashed on the ground but they held the Falcons to 14 pts. How easily you forget Simms missing a wide open Hilliard in the EZ and he throws it out of the back of the EZ. Thenhe throws a pick in the EZ because like an idiot this time he doesn't throw it a way out the back of the EZ he spikes down into a crowd and it bounces off the defenders foot pops up and is caught for an int. Right there are the 2 scores that would have been the game. But once again Simms throw three picks in this game costing us any shot at winning the game. YEt you say the oline was terrible for him in this game-- really he was only sacked once and he actually threw for quit a few yards in this-- it was just his boneheaded INT's and poor reads that cost us the game-- I mean really how do you miss a wide open Ike Hilliard standing 5 yards in front of you. Anyone with a TV saw that. And then to turn it over in the EZ as well-- how doesn't he bear any responsibility as you would have us believe.

Carolina- he finally played well after giving up an INT that led to points for the other team. But you better credit the defense that gave him 3 short fields as well when Simeon forced 2 fumbles and Quarles the other. I wonder if the lack of blood flow to his brain actually made him play better. Yes the defense has to take that loss but what if Simms INT hadn't of happened and led to points. He gets a wash though since he did bring us back with a injured spleen. As for almost dying I never heard that they had to revive him from death as in CPR-- thats almost dying Chris simply had a life threatening injury that medical staff caught in time and he is fine. But the drama and theatrics in your post do make it entertaining.

Simms is 6-9 as a starter with a horrible TD:INT ratio and a propensity to get injured.

With Grads we have no idea what we have until he has the learning curve--at least he is 3-4 as a starter with a much better TD:INT ratio. You call Grads a meh type player but isn't that better than the utter crap player we saw in Simms.

I dont mind bringing him back as I have said to compete with Grads and who ever else in camp, but I sure wouldn't want to see the Bucs FO pay a boatload for him in the FA market in a biddiing war either.

I mean how many batted passes and INT's mdo you need to see before the red flags rise up.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#76 : December 02, 2006, 11:00:08 AM

Bucfanforlife, there is no revisionism.  The run games in game #1 and game #2 were not there.  It simply was not.  And let us not make it sound as if Simms had ANY time versus the Ravens defense.  And throwing a pick to McCallister is bad, but the man is a flat out AWESOME DB.  Oh yeah, then the Bucs got in the RZ, and LEwis knocks Pittmans head off, but because even down only 14, Gruden senses it means more than just two scores, so he four and outs it in the RZ.  And game #2, yes they got gashed, enough to set records for their frqanchise in yards gained on the ground, and while it seems miniscule to you, it means TOP is a huge factor, it means GRuden is going to throw all day long.  And while they may have only been down 2 picks, given the nature of the offense, it becomes apparent that Gruden is going to abandon the run, so the Falcons did not blitz hardly at all to prevent the big plays from happening.  And two of his picks were deep bomb attempts, imagine that DeAngelo "GREAT CB" Hall.  The other one was in the RZ, IN THE EZ, and it bounced off a guys foot and popped back up...otherwise he leads the team to at least a FG, and if they had a run game, possibly a TD.  But of course, there was NO RUN GAME TO BE SEEN.  And yes the O-line was in a state of musical chairs.  Buenning was hurt, Terry dissappeared for reasons still unknown to all of us, and Mahan gets beat up consistently.  Throw in a rookie RT, and there goes the run game, there goes any consistency.  Simms played with happy feet because he peeled himself off the carpet quite  abit.  Sacks are one thing, getting hit is another.

So I can see you trying to spin it in YOUR perspective, I can see it in another way.  The defense played piss poor the first few games, and you say only 270, but fail to see that the Ravens are working with short fields, so they don't have the opportunities to pile up 350 or so. 

I do not place the blame solely on Simms.  There are not too many QBs that could have won the game versus ATL, and the Ravens defense played lights out in game #1. And they did it versus a one dimensional offense, given the fact the Bucs could not run.  The first two games, the Bucs had less than 100 yards rushing...hmmm....I wonder how many QBs are successful in those situations.

And yes, he could have died, they did rush him onto the ER to get his spleen removed, and he lost quite a bit of blood.  That is close enough.  We aren't talking about measurables here, so your view is one thing, I am sure his and the doctors were another.  And yes, the defense gave up the final drive for a TD (never said the second half defense didn't make some splash plays to get us back), but that is what they SHOULD be doing.  So finally, the defense shows up for a half, and then when it is most important, they give up a large drive, they get all the clock drained on them, and Delhomme scrambles on a fourth and 10!!! to seal the win.  Defenses fault for the loss.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#77 : December 02, 2006, 12:14:11 PM

This is what i mean Boid. You can't see that Simms 7 INT's vs 1 TD in those games was the huge deciding factor in the first two ball games. You excuse them with the wow those CB's are good. I guess the DT is damn good as well. And i have never said the games were all Simms fault but he sure shares the brunt of the fault when he throws 6 TO's.

So since were not faulting QB's here can't the same be said of Grads as well. Plenty of times the defense has collapsed. Plenty of times there has been no rushing threat. Plenty of time the Oline has been porous. You seem to knock the rookie quite a bit in his play but when it comes to Simms play there are all excuses behind it. How many picks and batted balls does he have to throw in a game for you to say wow the QB play has sucked.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#78 : December 02, 2006, 12:19:48 PM

This is what i mean Boid. You can't see that Simms 7 INT's vs 1 TD in those games was the huge deciding factor in the first two ball games. You excuse them with the wow those CB's are good.

What was alarming in the first two games was how bad Simms was going thru his progressions.  For a guy with four years in the offense he was very poor at finding the right receiver to go to.  In the ravens game he had a wide open Alex Smith 10 yard to the right of a double covered Jolley, but he went to Jolley.  The result a 14-0 deficit instead of a 7-7 game.  That was one of his worse mistakes but he made plenty of others.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#79 : December 02, 2006, 03:52:36 PM

This is what i mean Boid. You can't see that Simms 7 INT's vs 1 TD in those games was the huge deciding factor in the first two ball games. You excuse them with the wow those CB's are good. I guess the DT is damn good as well. And i have never said the games were all Simms fault but he sure shares the brunt of the fault when he throws 6 TO's.

So since were not faulting QB's here can't the same be said of Grads as well. Plenty of times the defense has collapsed. Plenty of times there has been no rushing threat. Plenty of time the Oline has been porous. You seem to knock the rookie quite a bit in his play but when it comes to Simms play there are all excuses behind it. How many picks and batted balls does he have to throw in a game for you to say wow the QB play has sucked.
I have explained myself fairly and adequately.  There is some logic to my thinking, it is not blind Simms fanaticism, because he did not play lights out.  But I do not place the onus of guilt on him.  The whole team played like a bunch of bush league scrubs, and while there is no excuse, there is reasoning. 

And no, Ngata is not a damn good DT, but he is a rookie with a lot of expectations, and he is a perfect fit for that Ravens team which killed Simms with the blitzes all day long.

BUCFAN4LIFE

Pro Bowler

#80 : December 02, 2006, 03:59:39 PM

I have explained myself fairly and adequately. There is some logic to my thinking, it is not blind Simms fanaticism, because he did not play lights out. But I do not place the onus of guilt on him. The whole team played like a bunch of bush league scrubs, and while there is no excuse, there is reasoning.

And no, Ngata is not a damn good DT, but he is a rookie with a lot of expectations, and he is a perfect fit for that Ravens team which killed Simms with the blitzes all day long.
You explained yourself -- I just dont agree --differing opinions--I'll agree to disagree.

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#81 : December 03, 2006, 08:27:43 AM

Gruden's WCO doesn't fit Simm's attributes and clearly exposes his weaknesses. e should go to a system (Detrit/Martz) where his positives can be accentuated. Grads is Gruden's boy.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#82 : December 03, 2006, 10:14:37 PM

That rationale has some sense to it, but in the end is exaggerated. A lot of success, a lot of failure is psychological and boils down to talent. One could make the case that Simms might not succeed in ANY system, while Montana would succeed in a lot of them. We're not talking Super Bowls right now. In the case of the Bucs, two straight .500 seasons and a merely respectable offense would be nice for a change.

In Verner We Trust
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Simms to Test Market « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools