Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Colts sign 38-year-old WR hoping he's the missing link to winning a Super Bowl « previous next »
Page: 1

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
: November 30, 2006, 10:32:35 PM

That is a very good signing for them this late in the season.  They've lost all their 3rd option WR/TE's and seriously need someone that can be solid in that role.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 30, 2006, 10:12:08 PM

Proehl as a possession reciever is ( or was- rather ) pretty good. I'd take him over Clayton.

He's better than anyone we have other than Galloway.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 30, 2006, 04:26:12 PM

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/16131010.htm

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 30, 2006, 04:33:03 PM

Based on history, Bucs fans can't talk too much smack about Proehl

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 30, 2006, 04:33:58 PM

For the link-challenged:

Proehl has sights on championship with Colts
And Peyton Manning is happy to have a three-wide-receiver option back in his repertoire.
A column by Reggie Hayes
rhayes@news-sentinel.com

INDIANAPOLIS – After scoring a season-high 45 points against the Eagles, the Indianapolis Colts felt good, but not quite good enough.

So they went out and bought some more offense.

Veteran receiver Ricky Proehl joins the Colts for one primary purpose: to ignite the three-wide-receiver set featured prominently in Peyton Manning’s 49-touchdown passing season two years ago.

Proehl will fill the slot position perfected by Brandon Stokley, who might come off the injured list to rejoin the lineup this week, as well.

“We’re always looking to add good football players,” quarterback Peyton Manning said. “One thing (Colts president) Bill Polian has always done is try to add quality football players. Any time you’re going to add a wide receiver, you’re never going to get complaints from me.”

Manning hopes to return more frequently to the Colts’ three-wide set, especially since the team has lost the services of tight end Dallas Clark for an undetermined amount of time. The Colts (10-1) play at Tennessee (4-7) at 1 p.m. Sunday. A win would clinch a fourth straight AFC South title and an automatic playoff berth.

Proehl said he doesn’t know how much he’ll play this weekend, and it remains to be seen whether Stokley will return. He has not played since Oct. 8 because of a knee injury.

If one or both slot receivers are ready to complement Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, Manning might have trouble hiding his eagerness to go to the air.

“The three-wide package was always geared around Brandon and that position, and Ricky would play that slot position, also,” Manning said. “It’d be nice to be able to have that back in our repertoire….It’d be great to get both those guys out there this Sunday, if possible.”

Proehl, 38, will be playing in his 17th NFL season. He gave up a couple of jobs to join the Colts. He was a radio and television analyst for one of his old teams, the St. Louis Rams. Plus, he was coaching his son’s Pop Warner football team.

The chance to play with Manning was an offer any self-respecting receiver couldn’t refuse.

Proehl got the blessing of his family in Greensboro, N.C., (his wife, Kelly, and children Alexandria, Austin and Blake) and accepted a one-year deal. He’ll wear No.11, at the suggestion of Austin, who wore the number during his first season of youth football.

The Colts playbook has been crammed into Proehl’s head over the last three days, with constant tutoring from wide receivers coach Clyde Christensen and a summit meeting with Manning. Proehl’s first on-field practice was Wednesday.

“(Manning) has the ability, and they’ve given him the flexibility, to change the play at the line of scrimmage,” Proehl said. “As a receiver, that’s a dream.”

Many NFL offenses don’t allow the quarterback as much freedom, so sometimes receivers are stuck running a route they can see the defense is prepared to defend, Proehl said. Manning audibles to eliminate those bad matchups the last few seconds before a snap.

“That’s a good situation,” Proehl said, “It’s obviously why this offense has been so successful the last several years.”

Proehl knows a thing or two about offense. He played with quarterback Kurt Warner and the high-octane St. Louis Rams, winning a Super Bowl during the 1999 season. In that Rams run, Proehl caught the game-winning catch in the NFC Championship game that beat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who were then coached by Tony Dungy.

Proehl played last season for the Carolina Panthers, with 25 catches for 441 yards and four touchdowns. He has 666 catches for 8,848 yards and 54 touchdowns in his career. He became the 32nd NFL player to surpass 600 career receptions in 2003. Proehl has also played with Arizona and Chicago.

The biggest obstacles for Proehl are learning the Colts’ plays and terminology. He says he’s in game shape because he had not stopped his training routine in order to be ready for a possible return this season.

“Obviously, this is a unique situation for me because I haven’t played up to this point,” Proehl said. “For the most part, I will feel fresh. But I’m the kind of guy who has to go out, get the reps, get my feet right, get my timing down and stuff like that, to be ready to play.”

The Colts were already in negotiations with Proehl before Clark went down with a knee injury during the Eagles game on Sunday.

But the timing of Proehl’s addition can’t hurt. Clark handled most of the slot work with Stokley out. Clark has good hands, but not the speed and quickness of Stokley. Or, presumably, of Proehl.

Proehl watched the Eagles game intently, knowing he was likely to be in a Colts uniform for the stretch run.

“What am I looking for? Winning a championship,” Proehl said. “That’s why I’m here. This is a great football team, and I’m just trying to do whatever they ask me to do. I’ve had options the last several months. I’m here because this football team has a great chance to win a championship.”

The Colts’ decision to sign Proehl proves one thing: They plan to stay on the offensive in their pursuit of a Super Bowl.

Lynch47

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 30, 2006, 04:35:28 PM

I always thought he was a solid player

#6 : November 30, 2006, 04:50:06 PM

Hahahahahaaaa!!!

Shut  up.

;)

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 30, 2006, 04:53:36 PM

Absolutely. And he was covered about as well as he could be on that TD reception.

BucsAddict

Starter

#8 : November 30, 2006, 05:30:23 PM

For the link-challenged:

The Colts playbook has been crammed into Proehl’s head over the last three days, with constant tutoring from wide receivers coach Clyde Christensen and a summit meeting with Manning. Proehl’s first on-field practice was Wednesday.

LOL I find it hard to believe Clyde could teach him or anyone anything

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

BucsAddict

Starter

#9 : November 30, 2006, 05:31:34 PM

Proehl as a possession reciever is ( or was- rather )  pretty good. I'd take him over Clayton.

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 30, 2006, 05:36:29 PM

I'd take him over Clayton.

True dat  >:(

bklynbucs11

Starter

#11 : November 30, 2006, 06:00:16 PM

Tell me though that it wouldn't be a thing of beauty if we signed Ricky Proehl for 1 season and he caught like 15 catches - but 3 against Carolina for 1 TD, and like 8 for 2 TD's (incl game winner) against st. Louis in the playoffs.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Colts sign 38-year-old WR hoping he's the missing link to winning a Super Bowl « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools