Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eugene Wilson's commentary and attitude. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

« : March 14, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »

There are threads announcing he was signed, i know that. but lets talk about who he is and what he brings.

i look at him saying "i dont envision myself playing cornerback" in a very disrespectful way.  that is not how the buccaneers organization does it.  we get versatile people that are willing to change a little for the best.

i am glad its a one year.  i cant wait for him to get cut by week one.

this guy brings absolutely nothin except a "cover-up" of a thought that says "we are set at corner now"
but in reality it is almost like the bucs signed him to throw off others about what position they will go in the first round or second round.

basically...after this signing i think the bucs are most definetly getting a corner in the first or second round.

your thoughts on this clown?

Booker

Hall of Famer

« #1 : March 14, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »

LOL, why would he sign here knowing we want him at CB for just 1.8 million dollars yet not want to play CB. COme on , use your head

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

« #2 : March 14, 2008, 08:58:56 PM »

I heard that he has embraced his CB role. So I don't know.

But I can't see us drafting a CB in the 1st and here's why: We do not need a spectacular talent to play 5 yard zone coverages thus we won't pay for one (Assante Samuel) and we haven't ever drafted a 1st round CB since Monte Kiffin has been here.

Point is, we don't need a 1st round talent at CB, we need 2nd-4th round talent there. (See Barber, Kelly, Abraham, D. Smith, etc.)

LVBUC

Practice Squad

« #3 : March 14, 2008, 09:04:00 PM »

http://pewterreport.com/articles/view/3995

Wilson had visited One Buccaneer Place on March 2, just three days after the start of free agency and had drawn interest from other teams. The 27-year DB played safety for the Patriots and has notched 10 career interceptions since entering the NFL in 2003 as a second-round draft pick out of Illinois.

Despite his recent experience at safety, the Bucs plan on playing Wilson at cornerback, which was his natural position in college. In fact, that is the primary reason why he joined the Buccaneers

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #4 : March 14, 2008, 09:04:40 PM »

I thought I would be enthusiastic that the Bucs signed Wilson.  Reality hit me that Wilson, Buchanon and Davis all have 1 year deals meaning the Bucs better draft a CB now to groom or be forced to draft one in 2009 (or pay up in FA of 09).

So my enthusiasm is dampered. :(

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

« #5 : March 14, 2008, 09:05:05 PM »

But I can't see us drafting a CB in the 1st and here's why: We do not need a spectacular talent to play 5 yard zone coverages thus we won't pay for one (Assante Samuel) and we haven't ever drafted a 1st round CB since Monte Kiffin has been here.

Point is, we don't need a 1st round talent at CB, we need 2nd-4th round talent there. (See Barber, Kelly, Abraham, D. Smith, etc.)
i dont know if you watched the games last year or not... but the tampa 2 is not as simple as that. we ran alot of man to man last year and that is the reason barber didnt have that well of a year.  monte kiffin is not stupid. he would not keep the same D every year. he runs different stuff and trys stuff out (see 3-4 in the games last year)

anyway. this year watch where the dbacks go after the play.... "5 yards off the line" or actually man to man which we ran most of last year.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

« #6 : March 14, 2008, 09:05:46 PM »

Wilson had visited One Buccaneer Place on March 2, just three days after the start of free agency and had drawn interest from other teams. The 27-year DB played safety for the Patriots and has notched 10 career interceptions since entering the NFL in 2003 as a second-round draft pick out of Illinois.

Despite his recent experience at safety, the Bucs plan on playing Wilson at cornerback, which was his natural position in college. In fact, that is the primary reason why he joined the Buccaneers

ok? he still said he doesnt want to play cb. we are making him.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

« #7 : March 14, 2008, 09:07:52 PM »

LOL, why would he sign here knowing we want him at CB for just 1.8 million dollars yet not want to play CB. COme on , use your head

1.8 million is a figure for all year. 500,000 is gaurenteed. which is nothing. we could easily david boston him.  we had a defincy at cb, we needed to get it in the draft, so we went and signed one, as a coverup type signing. to a basically crap deal that says he will play special teams or be cut. 

LVBUC

Practice Squad

« #8 : March 14, 2008, 09:08:35 PM »

i dont know if you watched the games last year or not... but the tampa 2 is not as simple as that. we ran alot of man to man last year and that is the reason barber didnt have that well of a year. monte kiffin is not stupid. he would not keep the same D every year. he runs different stuff and trys stuff out (see 3-4 in the games last year)

anyway. this year watch where the dbacks go after the play.... "5 yards off the line" or actually man to man which we ran most of last year.

Exactly.  The corners were either press or 5 yards off.  THATS COVER 2  The safetys are covering over the top.

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

« #9 : March 14, 2008, 09:10:57 PM »

We ran 1v1 most of last year? Okay...

So your saying that the Bucs Safeties were making all those plays last year because they were locked down in man coverage? Because if you are, then you have no idea how to watch the Tampa 2 develope.

Go watch some tapes brotha, yes Kiffin changed it up alot lost year, but the Safeties were almost always in Two Deep Zones. Almost Always! Thus the reason it's called the Tampa 2, as in TWO Deep Zones.

And when you run Two Deep Zones, the CB's play short to intermediate routes allowing them to concentrate on thier own zones and the ball more than the WR's lined up across from them because that is the job of the Safeties playing Two Deep Zones.

There wasn't a prodominate showing of Man 2 Man last year brotha, I don't what you were watching.

LVBUC

Practice Squad

« #10 : March 14, 2008, 09:11:14 PM »

ok? he still said he doesnt want to play cb. we are making him.

What part of the quote did you not understand.

In fact, that is the primary reason why he joined the Buccaneers

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : March 14, 2008, 09:11:58 PM »

You are looking for negatives Sarasota - do you really think Wilson signed a contract for a position he doesn't want?  Really?  Frankly my read is that playing cb is at least part of what attracted him to the buccs.  (note the salary difference between cbs and safeties.)

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

« #12 : March 14, 2008, 09:12:05 PM »

i dont know if you watched the games last year or not... but the tampa 2 is not as simple as that. we ran alot of man to man last year and that is the reason barber didnt have that well of a year. monte kiffin is not stupid. he would not keep the same D every year. he runs different stuff and trys stuff out (see 3-4 in the games last year)

Exactly.  The corners were either press or 5 yards off.  THATS COVER 2  The safetys are covering over the top.

yea. but we wernt in a 5 yard zone every play.  the safeties are almost always cover 2 unless we bring tanard jackson up to the line as the nickle and keep jermain phillips back there and biran kelly was man to man and buchanan was man to man. with Derrick Brooks on the RB man to man. (which we did at least once a game last year after week 3.)

that guy was thinkin cover 2 is the same play every time! hahaha

LVBUC

Practice Squad

« #13 : March 14, 2008, 09:13:47 PM »

I would believe PR who talked to Morris, who stated that he did want to play CB and that the reason he signed with TB over the reporters from the local fish rap.

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer

« #14 : March 14, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »

We ran 1v1 most of last year? Okay...

So your saying that the Bucs Safeties were making all those plays last year because they were locked down in man coverage? Because if you are, then you have no idea how to watch the Tampa 2 develope.

Go watch some tapes brotha, yes Kiffin changed it up alot lost year, but the Safeties were almost always in Two Deep Zones. Almost Always! Thus the reason it's called the Tampa 2, as in TWO Deep Zones.

And when you run Two Deep Zones, the CB's play short to intermediate routes allowing them to concentrate on thier own zones and the ball more than the WR's lined up across from them because that is the job of the Safeties playing Two Deep Zones.

There wasn't a prodominate showing of Man 2 Man last year brotha, I don't what you were watching.
dude no... the cbs dont always play 5 yards off... what dont you get? this isnt highschool bud.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eugene Wilson's commentary and attitude. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools