Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eugene Wilson's commentary and attitude. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

bucoff

Starter
#30 : March 14, 2008, 09:34:51 PM

According to nfl.com 2 other teams (minny was one of them) tried to get him last minute but he decided he wanted to come here knowing he would play cb! Not to mention the loss of pearson created a need for a backup saftey.. I like this move alot!

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 14, 2008, 09:36:51 PM

Wilson, seemed to be a decent team mate while with the Patriots, why would that change just because he signed here, If you look at what the team has done this off-season there could be a few things at work here, first Wilson will be given the chance to win the starting nickel corner spot, but I would not rule out the chance that Tanard Jackson wins the spot and Wilson comes in, when the Bucs use there nickel package to play FS and Jackson becomes the nickel corner

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

SarasotaBuc Fan

Hall of Famer
#32 : March 14, 2008, 09:38:31 PM

Wilson, seemed to be a decent team mate while with the Patriots, why would that change just because he signed here, If you look at what the team has done this off-season there could be a few things at work here, first Wilson will be given the chance to win the starting nickel corner spot, but I would not rule out the chance that Tanard Jackson wins the spot and Wilson comes in, when the Bucs use there nickel package to play FS and Jackson becomes the nickel corner

excellent observation yucc. i agree.

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#33 : March 14, 2008, 09:43:39 PM

My bad, TJ

No, I meant the Cover 3 and if you don't what the Cover 3 is then you truly don't belong in this conversation. Jees...

Btw, I've been here for a long time, I just haven't signed on since Maybe September of 2007 and forgot my old name and password...and I do believe I had over 2k posts with it. So no, I am not new here, just my name.

the tampa two is basically cover 3. but we call it the tampa two. so when did you move here from up north? or when did you become a bucs fan? or when was the last time you watched a game?

I was born at St. Joe's in 1983 and raised in Tampa my whole life. I'm not only a die hard Bucs fan but a Rays fan, Bolts fan and Storm fan. What's your point?

Basically the Cover 3? Um...no. The Cover 3 and Tampa 2 are completely different zone packages.

If they were "basically the same" they wouldn't need a different name to distinguish the two now would they?

I never said that we run the same freaking coverage every play. Not once. I simply said what is widely known around here by most fans, the Bucs don't need a 1st round talent at CB because Kiffin can get solid play out of lesser talented players because it doesn't take a superstar to play in our system.

WE DON'T NEED A TOP-10 COVER CB TO PLAY IN THE TAMPA 2. It's that simple.

Pewter Spot

Pro Bowler

#34 : March 14, 2008, 09:46:42 PM

I heard that he has embraced his CB role. So I don't know.

But I can't see us drafting a CB in the 1st and here's why: We do not need a spectacular talent to play 5 yard zone coverages thus we won't pay for one (Assante Samuel) and we haven't ever drafted a 1st round CB since Monte Kiffin has been here.

Point is, we don't need a 1st round talent at CB, we need 2nd-4th round talent there. (See Barber, Kelly, Abraham, D. Smith, etc.)
We ran 1v1 most of last year? Okay...

So your saying that the Bucs Safeties were making all those plays last year because they were locked down in man coverage? Because if you are, then you have no idea how to watch the Tampa 2 develope.

Go watch some tapes brotha, yes Kiffin changed it up alot lost year, but the Safeties were almost always in Two Deep Zones. Almost Always! Thus the reason it's called the Tampa 2, as in TWO Deep Zones.

And when you run Two Deep Zones, the CB's play short to intermediate routes allowing them to concentrate on thier own zones and the ball more than the WR's lined up across from them because that is the job of the Safeties playing Two Deep Zones.

There wasn't a prodominate showing of Man 2 Man last year brotha, I don't what you were watching.
dude no... the cbs dont always play 5 yards off... what dont you get? this isnt highschool bud.

What the F are you talking about? Please, quote my ever saying that our CB's always play 5 yards off. Please, do it. You can't because I didn't. Bud.

there.

You're still wrong because I didn't say 5 yards off. Saying 5 yards off sounds silly. I said 5 yard zone coverages and for you to assume that I suggested that we ONLY play 5 yard coverages is kinda silly.

we as the defense try to confuse the offense. if we ran the same thing everyplay then we would get dominated.

The only thing I can say to that pathetic rebuttal is..."Duh!"

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#35 : March 14, 2008, 09:55:41 PM

As pewterspot pointed out there are basic differences between the Cover 2 and Cover 3, Cover 2 usually means that only the two safeties are playing in a deep zone. Cover 3 means that there are three deep zones requiring at least one linebacker or corner back to fall back and play deep.

Essentially, it says the number of deep zones there are in a defense.

Cover 2 is mainly both safeties staying back, cover 3 is both safeties and either a linebacker or corner. Cover 3 is ussually the best against a passing team and a cover 1 is ussually best against a running team.

Cover 2 corners cover the flats and the safeties have everything deep. Cover 3 the corners usually have a deep third zone and the safeties cover the middle of he field

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 14, 2008, 10:00:20 PM

Wilson is reportedly excited about moving back to CB, according to his agent:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/wilson_to_bucs.html

benir0

Hall of Famer
#37 : March 14, 2008, 10:05:41 PM

I thought I would be enthusiastic that the Bucs signed Wilson.  Reality hit me that Wilson, Buchanon and Davis all have 1 year deals meaning the Bucs better draft a CB now to groom or be forced to draft one in 2009 (or pay up in FA of 09).

So my enthusiasm is dampered. :(

Understood...the other site of it, though: PBuc appears to like it here, and if he looks good early on, we'll try to extend him, IMO.  Wilson needs to show something at corner before getting the long term deal.  We shall see, but let's let him prove it first.

Davis is just an afterthought.  IMO, the Bucs CB situation looks much brighter than 24 hours ago, and we'll see about the future.

LVBUC

Practice Squad

#38 : March 14, 2008, 10:06:30 PM

Wilson is reportedly excited about moving back to CB, according to his agent:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/03/wilson_to_bucs.html

Thanks DTG, I guess you can believe Wilson.

LA BUC

Starter

#39 : March 14, 2008, 10:33:34 PM

Step right in the starting CB spot.  The best part is he can tackle.  I think this is a big step in keeping a hold on to the South.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 14, 2008, 10:58:27 PM

I think that was more of a spin by SPT ... all other accounts seem to point to him being happy to be here as both a Nickle CB and backup Safety.

MarleyMon81

Hall of Famer

#41 : March 14, 2008, 11:01:31 PM

The Bucs obviously didn't overpay or get into a bidding war for him as their recent MO dictates.  There were also other suitors that were offering the safety position with a better potential to start.  If he really didn't want to go back to corner and still cash in, he wouldn't have come to Tampa.  It appears he obviously wanted to go back to playing the corner position so he came here. 

In no statement from him or his agent does not wanting to play corner come up, or at least from what I've seen.  Now we do have direct quotes from his agent and Morris that he not only will be concentrating on corner but that he's looking forward to it.  I'll go with their words than the Times.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 14, 2008, 11:09:11 PM

dtg,thanks for the inside info,makes sense ...one year deal ...proves himself at cb and then gets a big pay day ....mean while we ease in Hamilton and a  new draft pick to learn the defense and next year when he leaves we aren't left in a lurch...we may draft 2 cbs in this draft.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#43 : March 14, 2008, 11:10:35 PM

dtg,thanks for the inside info

You're welcome, but that's not "inside" stuff, it was available to anyone on the Web.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#44 : March 15, 2008, 12:44:25 AM

I don't think Tanard Jackson EVER plays the nickel!  At least not right now.  Ronde plays the nickel when we go to it.  Sarasota Buc, for someone who tries to sound like you watch the dbs, it really doesn't sound like it.  In fact, on another thread, there was an EXTENSIVE back and forth about whether or not T-Jax would someday replace Ronde at the nickel corner.  Many of us thought  he could, and said his play reminded us of Ronde, so we thought we would be a natural at that spot someday.  Some other quality posters disagreed.  Now you come on here saying he plays the nickel now?  Dude, seriously, what are you watching?

Also, I don't think you are going to see him come in at safety even if T-Jax DOES drop into the nickel spot....I think you will see Sabby come in if that happens.

.....just my opinion
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Eugene Wilson's commentary and attitude. « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools