Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Garcia « previous next »
Page: 1 2

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

: December 11, 2006, 09:32:42 AM

Is it possible that we may have the QB of the future in Gradkowski? If we sign Garcia to a two or three year deal to be our starting QB and allow Gradkowski the same time Tony Romo had to learn his offense as an undrafted rookie out of E. Illinois...WHY NOT?

Grads might have potential with a couple more years to get acclimated.  I've said all along that he has all the potential to be Hasselbeck...  But we won't know for a few years if that's Matt Hasselbeck or Tim Hasselbeck.  Either way, he's a  cheap and solid backup who I'd be very comfortable with in spot duty.  While I'm not the biggest Garcia fan, signing him as a placeholder for 2 years or so while Grads develops might be the answer.  However, if Grads has not improved by the time Garcia runs out of gas, we will be in this same situation again.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 11, 2006, 09:20:19 AM

No turbo i was saying that getting Garcia and drafting a QB may be the way to go. Just signing Garcia and expecting him to be our savior would not be a good idea, IMHO. Drafting a QB and signging Garcia, yes. Sorry for not being clear.

Baghead #2

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 11, 2006, 09:17:59 AM

Garcia is playing great and all and I'm not opposed to getting Garcia one bit, but in my estimation I think we MAY need to just bite the bullet and draft a freaking QB because Garcia is what, 36 or something. He is just another stop gap...

and you think drafting a QB to start right away is the way to go?

Sign Garcia for 2 years, let the QB we draft learn the sysyem and then turn him loose, in the meantime, Garcia can win us a few games, possibly go the the playoffs...It's a plan, and a good one.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 11, 2006, 09:19:04 AM

Garcia is playing great and all and I'm not opposed to getting Garcia one bit, but in my estimation I think we MAY need to just bite the bullet and draft a freaking QB because Garcia is what, 36 or something. He is just another stop gap...

and you think drafting a QB to start right away is the way to go?

Sign Garcia for 2 years, let the QB we draft learn the sysyem and then turn him loose, in the meantime, Garcia can win us a few games, possibly go the the playoffs...It's a plan, and a good one.

Garcia is 36 but he is fit and he only has about 8 NFL years on the clock.  I think he can play at a fairly high level for two more years.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 11, 2006, 09:16:16 AM

Is it possible that we may have the QB of the future in Gradkowski?  If we sign Garcia to a two or three year deal to be our starting QB and allow Gradkowski the same time Tony Romo had to learn his offense as an undrafted rookie out of E. Illinois...WHY NOT?

JF said on WDAE this morning that he doesn't think we have seen the last of Grads.  In all fairness to the kid, the O-line stinks, we have no running game and the WR core is a freaking joke.......he didn't have much chance to succeed.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 11, 2006, 09:16:56 AM

We will have the pick of a couple of good QB in the draft, for the good of the Buccs it might be the right time to draft one. Gruden doesn't have two years to groom another QB, so he might go in a different direction.

The sad thing with Simms and Grads falling by the wayside is now we are faced with using a large chunk of cap space AND a 1st round draft pick on QBs.

MJS I am with you on that. I would really like to stay away from a QB but this entire thing is a mess from top to bottom. Who knows what will happen. It is sad to be sitting here and thinking about drafting a QB when we have other holes to fill.

Baghead #2

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 11, 2006, 09:14:18 AM

Is it possible that we may have the QB of the future in Gradkowski?  If we sign Garcia to a two or three year deal to be our starting QB and allow Gradkowski the same time Tony Romo had to learn his offense as an undrafted rookie out of E. Illinois...WHY NOT?

You must be accountable for your actions!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 11, 2006, 09:05:18 AM

We will have the pick of a couple of good QB in the draft, for the good of the Buccs it might be the right time to draft one.  Gruden doesn't have two years to groom another QB, so he might go in a different direction.

The sad thing with Simms and Grads falling by the wayside is now we are faced with using a large chunk of cap space AND a 1st round draft pick on QBs.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 11, 2006, 09:01:29 AM

Baghead #2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 11, 2006, 08:58:17 AM

Garcia is doing enough this year to get offers in FA, and at his age he wants the best shot at starting.  The Buccs might be the best option for Garcia, and he actually might be Gruden's best option as well.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#10 : December 11, 2006, 08:54:42 AM

For the folks interested in Garcia next year, here is a good article:
http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/16212353.htm

Garcia playing like one of NFC's best QBs

LANDOVER, Md. - Here's the truth, as ugly and beautiful as it may be:

In the pockmarked world that is the National Football Conference, Jeff Garcia has proven to be not just adequate, but one of its better quarterbacks.

He is better than the quarterback of the team with the Conference's best record, the Chicago Bears. He is probably better than Eli Manning, too, a theory that will be put to the test when the 7-6 Eagles meet the 7-6 Giants in the Meadowlands next Sunday.

"I don't think of him as a backup," L.J. Smith was saying after yesterday's beautifully ugly 21-19 victory over Washington. "Because he doesn't approach the game like that."

At 36, in his eighth NFL season, Garcia has proven to be accurate, decisive and tough. He also has proven hard to hurt and even harder to rattle. True, Garcia's offense mustered just 14 of yesterday's points, but it also didn't give away any either - and therein lay the difference in the game.

"We're a team that's not necessarily playing perfect football at times but we're competitive," Garcia said. "We're battling. And I think that's what you have to appreciate out of these guys. That they won't give up. That they'll challenge themselves to really step up their game and do what they need to do."

How often have you heard a quarterback described as a good "game manager?" This is what Garcia has been in the Eagles' two back-from-the-dead victories the last two weeks. A level head. A stabilizer in times of instability.

A coach on the field.

When the Eagles took a 21-3 lead yesterday and needed a risk-free approach, he took little risk. When Washington finally chipped that lead down to two points with a little more than 6 minutes remaining in the game, he moved an offense that had punted the ball away on each of its second-half possessions down the field and evaporated the remaining time.

"You really see his veteran experience come into play," Eagles coach Andy Reid said. "When you lose a quarterback like Donovan that's not always the case. But in Jeff you've got somebody who steps up and grabs everybody and shakes them a little and says, 'Let's go, we're going to be all right,' and pushes them ahead."

Garcia completed 15 of 23 passes for 164 yards and threw for two touchdowns. The first was a quick hit to Smith across the middle for 10 yards that erased a 3-0 first-quarter Redskins lead. The second was a little rollout from the 3, hitting Donté Stallworth at the right edge of the end zone.

Both were characteristic of the approach taken. Take away a second-quarter 60-yard strike to Reggie Brown, and Garcia's numbers are almost comically modest - 14 of 22, 104 yards.

It averages to less than 8 yards per catch.

It could have been more. Facing repeated fourth-quarter blitzes, Garcia missed Westbrook on a sideline bomb that would have iced the game for the Eagles. There was also the usual assortment of drops by the usual assortment of suspects, a few in critical third-down spots.

Garcia persevered, and never panicked. In three games as a starter, he has yet to throw an interception and has been sacked just twice. In three games as a starter, the Eagles have scored at least 21 points.

Juxtapose that against Redskins starter Jason Campbell, whose two critical interceptions yesterday negated 415 yards of total offense by the Redskins. Washington held the ball for almost two-thirds of the game, ran 23 more plays than the Eagles. But Campbell's miscues were huge. Driving to take the lead early in the second quarter, Campbell forced a third-down pass that was picked off by Michael Lewis and returned 84 yards to push the Eagles ahead, 14-3.

"You know what?" Smith said of Garcia. "If he was a rookie or a two-year guy, maybe he wouldn't have that type of presence. But he's a vet. He's been doing it for years. And we respect that. We like that."

They respond to it, too. The offensive linemen love that he gets rid of it in a hurry, love how he tiptoes out of pressure. The receivers speak of a soft ball, even as the maddening drops continue. The whole team talks about an intense, team-oriented guy, the proverbial swimming duck, calm above the water, paddling like hell underneath.

But here's the real skinny: On a team that has lived and died this season on opportunism, he is the ultimate opportunist. A 36-year-old former Pro Bowler, carefully maneuvering himself back onto the league's radar screen via its most mercurial team.

"Really, I'm never calm and collected," he said after yesterday's great escape. "I play the game with a lot of emotion. I think when I'm in that element that's when I am playing my best."

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 11, 2006, 09:51:59 AM

It's a shame that Garcia wanted the guaranteed starting slot back when the Bucs could have had him for cheap money. I was always sorry they missed out on that, because I think he's a pretty darned good QB for the WCO.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 11, 2006, 10:51:56 AM

Garcia looked very badly shot in CLE and DET at the time. More than anything you see how scheme affects performance with Garcia.

I think the same goes for 90% of NFL QBs, they need the right scheme.  I think there are only 3 or 4 QBs in the NFL that could thrive in any offensive schema.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 11, 2006, 10:49:14 AM

I have always liked the idea of Garcia in Tampa under JG.   

That statement gave me a disturbing visual. :o

:o :o :o :o :o :o

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 11, 2006, 10:44:50 AM

Wasn't everyone (fans) saying no to Garcia when he was available and rumor had it the Bucs might take a look at him?

Only the homophobes.   :P

Garcia looked very badly shot in CLE and DET at the time. More than anything you see how scheme affects performance with Garcia.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Garcia « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools