Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Garcia « previous next »
Page: 1 2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 11, 2006, 10:43:32 AM

I have always liked the idea of Garcia in Tampa under JG.    

That statement gave me a disturbing visual.   :o

quezilla

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 11, 2006, 10:41:07 AM

I have always liked the idea of Garcia in Tampa under JG.  He has liked him every off-season he has been a FA, but there hasn't been room.  Now there is, and I think Garcia will like his odds of being a starter here.  

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 11, 2006, 10:37:30 AM

Wasn't everyone (fans) saying no to Garcia when he was available and rumor had it the Bucs might take a look at him?

Only the homophobes.   :P

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#18 : December 11, 2006, 10:36:51 AM

Wasn't everyone (fans) saying no to Garcia when he was available and rumor had it the Bucs might take a look at him?

BucfaninDC

Starter

#19 : December 11, 2006, 11:36:41 AM

Garcia is playing great and all and I'm not opposed to getting Garcia one bit, but in my estimation I think we MAY need to just bite the bullet and draft a freaking QB because Garcia is what, 36 or something. He is just another stop gap...

See I really think Garcia can come in here and be the QB for at least 3 years.  Look at McNair, he's still doing it in Baltimore.  Then the Bucs can focus this years draft on other needs.  Then take a QB in 2008 draft to be groomed under Garcia. 

Trade Rice for a 2nd rounder in 2008 instead of for a pick this offseason.  Use that pick on a QB in the 2nd, or figure out a way to move up in the draft if a great prospect is available.  There will always be a 'hot' QB coming into the draft, I don't think the Bucs HAVE to take Quinn, Russell, or Smith this year.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 11, 2006, 11:38:46 AM

Garcia is doing enough this year to get offers in FA, and at his age he wants the best shot at starting. The Buccs might be the best option for Garcia, and he actually might be Gruden's best option as well.
I put this idea down last week...but...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 11, 2006, 11:42:16 AM

Garcia has started all of three games this year, and has played well.

But look what is happening to Romo right now as well...

I still think we should wait until the end of this season to see if a then-to-be 38 year old QB is worth eating up a significant portion of the cap room.  The Gru went with older vets before, and it has bit him in the butt, he might be hesitant to pull the trigger at a higher price...

And if Garcia finishes the season with an over 90 rating, he will want three years, for some big jack over that time (possibly front loaded), and to me, that is kind of nerve wracking.

quezilla

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 11, 2006, 01:47:07 PM

I hope we don't hear Garcia talk until after the draft.  We need to blow smoke about Quinn and Russell.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 11, 2006, 02:21:58 PM

I still think we should wait until the end of this season to see if a then-to-be 38 year old QB is worth eating up a significant portion of the cap room.  The Gru went with older vets before, and it has bit him in the butt, he might be hesitant to pull the trigger at a higher price...

Garcia is 36 now Boid, not 37.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 11, 2006, 02:32:57 PM

Wow, sorry.  Okay, let me revise my entire statement with a soon-to-be 37 year old QB...

It still doesn't sound any better man.  Now if you were to minus 5 or 6 to that, I would feel better about it all.  And I am sure Gruden would too, espescially considering the jack he is going to want.  Should the Bucs spend that much money on the guy if he asks for it?  Would Gruden do it?

Garcia is 36 now Boid, not 37.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 11, 2006, 02:45:13 PM

Of course you look at him, he is a fit for this offense.  It would buy the couple of years needed to retool the two lines and provide a veteran to give stability.

And MJS, all great lines.  LMAO.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Badabingnrt

Starter

#26 : December 11, 2006, 02:47:27 PM

I guess everyone forgets how good Garcia was in Cleveland and Detroit.

The Eagles have a great offensive line, a great pass catching RB, Donte Stalworth, and L.J. Smith.  

The Bucs have never had a good o line, but it's up and coming, a terrible pass catching RB, Joey Galloway.  Now I like our youthful offense in Clayton, Cadillac, Smith, and Stovall....but I honestly don't see Garcia lighting it up here.

Jake Plummer.  He can have another 4-5 years.  Denver is probably kicking themselves with their decision to go with Cutler, because now they wont make the playoffs.

Plummer isn't the best of QBs...but he is better then Garcia who was atrocious with the Lions and Browns.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 11, 2006, 02:50:52 PM

And MJS, all great lines.  LMAO.

heheheh........went back and checked what I had written, I am the king of one liners today.  Just popping in between jobs at work, plus flippant one liners fit my mood right now.  :o

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 12, 2006, 06:22:34 PM

For the pro-Garcia crowd, here is another good article:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/12/12/garcia/index.html
From Peter King:

Eagles flying almost as high
Philly not losing much going from McNabb to Garcia

The thing I like about Jeff Garcia, and always have, is that within the confines of how much players can speak the unvarnished truth, Garcia usually leads the league. He's got the cliché-speak thing down when it's necessary, as do all players, but he's got an honest side to him that I've always admired. He never backed away from telling the truth about Terrell Owens when Owens blasted him in San Francisco, and he was open about his failings in his last two stops, Cleveland and Detroit. Standup guy.

And so I thought I'd get a real answer from him now that he's on his surprising hot streak in Philadelphia. I asked if in the offseason he feared that his career would end without any more of the success he'd had with the 49ers. We've seen it in lots of older quarterbacks over the years -- Chris Chandler, Kurt Warner, Drew Bledsoe. They play well somewhere for a while, then keep looking for the Holy Grail again, and they never quite found it.

"Without a doubt, I wondered if I'd get back to this point,'' Garcia said. "I saw myself mentally losing my drive, my focus to be a top quarterback. I think the last two years had something to do with it, so I had to get back to my comfort zone. I moved away from the Midwest and back to California. I got a fresh start [this season] with a quality, solid organization, which I needed.''

In his three starts in Philly, Garcia has completed 65 percent of his throws, with seven touchdowns and no interceptions. He's shown excellent mobility, decisive confidence and quick decision-making. His quarterback ratings in the loss at Indy and wins over Carolina and Washington: 121.0, 105.9, 115.1 ... the first time in Eagle history that a quarterback has had three straight games with ratings over 100.

It might be sacrilegious to say this, but are the Eagles really any less of a team with Garcia playing than they were with Donovan McNabb? It sounds idiotic, but Garcia's playing as well as McNabb would have in these last three weeks. And though Andy Reid would certainly rather have McNabb under center at the Meadowlands, at Dallas and home against Atlanta in the last three weeks, he's got to be pinching himself over the great find he has in Garcia.

Sometimes I think itinerant quarterbacks like Garcia are so desperate to keep starting that they'll choose a poor offensive team, or a poor team, over a well-run team with an established quarterback. Because so many excellent quarterbacks get hurt every year, it seems like a smarter move to go to a quality team as a number two than to a hopelessly adrift one as a starter. Injury roulette says you've got a 50-50 chance to play on the good team. That's what happened to Garcia with the ACL tear suffered by McNabb.

"In my case, I wasn't going to have a chance to go to a starting situation,'' he said. "But this time, for my well-being, I had to go to a solid organization with a good chance to win, even if it was as a backup. I had to go to a place where they enthusiastically thought they had a chance to win.''

He's found it, obviously. And a 2-1 finish means they probably make the playoffs as the sixth seed. Anyone doubt the Eagles, and Garcia, can do it? "We step on the field with no fear right now, I can tell you that,'' he said. It shows.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Garcia « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools