Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Manchester United Finances « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
#15 : May 10, 2008, 04:53:45 PM

I take exception to your characterization of the Glazers as slimy etc.

You have to look no further than what they have given to Tampa Bay in an outstanding stadium and One Buc Palace, their emphasis on quality, family and their contributions to the community and family in general.  One thing people do not seem to grasp about this family is that they are a complete class act in addition to which they do not seek the limelight for their many charitable activities.  They are quiet, religious, good citizens, good family people.  I really could not be more proud to have them as part of our community...

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#16 : May 10, 2008, 05:06:30 PM

Well said, Ladyfan. I couldn't agree more. Rip our coach and/or GM if you want. Rip players. But this ownership is among the best in ALL of pro sports and anyone who doesn't recognize what they have brought to the table is simply a hate-filled moron.

In Verner We Trust

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#17 : May 10, 2008, 05:16:28 PM

You have to look no further than what they have given to Tampa Bay in an outstanding stadium and One Buc Palace, their emphasis on quality, family and their contributions to the community and family in general.  One thing people do not seem to grasp about this family is that they are a complete class act in addition to which they do not seek the limelight for their many charitable activities.  They are quiet, religious, good citizens, good family people.  I really could not be more proud to have them as part of our community...

Why does being religious automatically make you a good person?

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#18 : May 10, 2008, 05:30:05 PM

This is a popular conspiracy theory over at the TBBBB.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#19 : May 10, 2008, 06:14:29 PM

You have to look no further than what they have given to Tampa Bay in an outstanding stadium and One Buc Palace, their emphasis on quality, family and their contributions to the community and family in general. One thing people do not seem to grasp about this family is that they are a complete class act in addition to which they do not seek the limelight for their many charitable activities. They are quiet, religious, good citizens, good family people. I really could not be more proud to have them as part of our community...

Why does being religious automatically make you a good person?

Try living in America Pat.   ;)

BTW - I suppose by "WE" you mean Chelsea?  talk about a bandwagon fan.   :P

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#20 : May 10, 2008, 06:17:17 PM

Call me naive. I honestly do not believe the Glazers would be stupid enough to even attempt to take money from the Bucs and give it Manchester. If they did and were caught, they could stand to lose the Bucs and I don't think that's a viable option. They have plenty of money in their other endeavors to put $ in Man U, if needed.

Where did I say they would take money from one entity and give it to the other?

OK, in really plain English for you:

Glazers spend $50 million (guess) a year.  Man United makes no money, then they take their entire $50 million from the Bucs.  Man United make money, then they might take money from that venture as well.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#21 : May 10, 2008, 06:19:59 PM

You have to look no further than what they have given to Tampa Bay in an outstanding stadium and One Buc Palace, their emphasis on quality, family and their contributions to the community and family in general. One thing people do not seem to grasp about this family is that they are a complete class act in addition to which they do not seek the limelight for their many charitable activities. They are quiet, religious, good citizens, good family people. I really could not be more proud to have them as part of our community...

OK, correct me if I am wrong BUT wasn't the stadium and new OneBuc mainly funded from public funds?  AND so what if they get a little involved in charity in the local community, they earn a large part of their income out of the pockets of that very same community, and they have very little else to do anyway.

GIVE ME A BREAK

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#22 : May 10, 2008, 06:22:51 PM

But Man U made MUCH MUCH more profit than the Bucs did!

.....just my opinion

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#23 : May 10, 2008, 06:25:26 PM

But Man U made MUCH MUCH more profit than the Bucs did!

They made a solid operating profit but the numbers released by the Glazers holding company included the loans and future installments of transfer fees.  They probably took those things in one hit for tax purposes.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#24 : May 10, 2008, 06:27:32 PM

Correct ME if I'm wrong, but didn't they put a GREAT DEAL of their own money into building One Buc Palace?  It was my understanding that One Buc cost MUCH more than the amount from the Bond Issue.

Also, remember that they completely funded the ship that is in the stadium out of their own pockets.

They don't have anything else to do?  They have MANY other businesses other than the Bucs and Man U.

.....just my opinion

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#25 : May 10, 2008, 06:31:12 PM

According to Wikipedia....
In May 2005, Glazer paid $1.47 billion for 28.7 percent of English Premier League football team Manchester United, following a nearly year-long takeover battle. The takeover was fiercely opposed by many fans of Manchester United, who organised themselves in the form of the independent Manchester United Supporters' Trust (formerly Shareholders United), partly due to the fact that the Glazer takeover saddled the club with a large debt (over $850m) and interest that comes with it (approx £60 million a year) but also due to many fans' belief that the club should be in the hands of fans and not business men. The mainly match-going fans object to the escalating ticket prices at a time when the club receives more money than ever from TV and sponsorship deals. Supporters of Manchester United in other parts of the world, such as North America and the Far East, have, in relative terms, looked upon the transition in ownership with relative dispassion. Since the deal went through Malcolm Glazer himself has played little visible role at the club, which seems to be run mainly by his children, several of whom are club directors, while he is not

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#26 : May 10, 2008, 06:31:56 PM

Correct ME if I'm wrong, but didn't they put a GREAT DEAL of their own money into building One Buc Palace?  It was my understanding that One Buc cost MUCH more than the amount from the Bond Issue.

Also, remember that they completely funded the ship that is in the stadium out of their own pockets.

They don't have anything else to do?  They have MANY other businesses other than the Bucs and Man U.

The Ship, you are joking right?  ROFLMAO

I am not sure how much of their own money went into building OneBuc.  They bought the land with their money that that was an investment because they only used a small portion for OneBuc.  I thought the sports authority but a large amount into the building, or that at least had the money set aside.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#27 : May 10, 2008, 06:36:46 PM

I would say that they made MUCH more than "a solid operating profit".  Also, loans, neither the receipt of them, not the principal payments ON them show in an operating statement.  Transfer fees do, depending on exactly what you are talking about.

In any event, it doesn't appear that they have any NEED for drawing funds out of the Bucs for Man U, and couldn't even if they needed to.

.....just my opinion

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#28 : May 10, 2008, 06:46:40 PM

I would say that they made MUCH more than "a solid operating profit".  Also, loans, neither the receipt of them, not the principal payments ON them show in an operating statement.  Transfer fees do, depending on exactly what you are talking about.

In any event, it doesn't appear that they have any NEED for drawing funds out of the Bucs for Man U, and couldn't even if they needed to.

The loans are held by Red Football Joint Venture Ltd, which is the holding company they used to buy Man United.  Transfer fees are very often installments or they can be paid by third party entities, i.e. Red Football Joint Venture Ltd.

United's operating income for 07/06 to 06/07 was pretty strong but they won the EPL, reached the semi-finals of the CL, and the final of the FA Cup.  Thankfully they have had a similar amount of success in 2007/08, although they didn't have a FA Cup run.  Even with the strong operating income generated off the back of two very successful seasons the Glazer's holding company, Red Football Joint Venture Ltd, isn't fairing so well. 

If Man Uniteds form dips the revenues might take a plunge and then the Glazers will be in over their heads.  Their business plan was flawed and they took a gamble that the EPL would allow teams to sell their own overseas TV rights, which would mean a huge windfall for Man United.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#29 : May 10, 2008, 06:47:33 PM

The Sports Authority DID put a large amount into building One Buc, it was part of the Bond Issue floated to build the stadium and many improvements around Tampa.

You want to laugh about the ship?  First of all, I may be wrong, but I believe they spent several million dollars building it inside the stadium, and it was not part of the original design.  The Glazer sons came up with the idea and sold it to Mr. Glazer.  Then THEY paid for it.  IIRC, the cost was somewhere around $5 million dollars.

Also, I don't know how everything shook down on One Buc because I moved from Lakeland to North Carolina while it was still being decided.  One Buc was supposed to be titled in the name of the Sports Authority, but the Glazers designed a facility that cost MUCH more than the amount set aside.  They paid the difference themselves, but wanted One Buc to be titled in their name because of it.  The Sports Authority said they were not going to release the funds, unless the property was titled to them.  The Glazers said they would pay the entire amount and keep title to it in that case.  

The discussion was still going on when I left, and I have no idea how it came out.  In any event the Glazers either paid ALL the costs or a large portion of the costs, depending on how it came out.

You may have more knowledge of the final disposition of that than I am.

.....just my opinion
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Manchester United Finances « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools