Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden's Press Conference « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« : December 11, 2006, 11:12:44 AM »

Gruden is a slick dude, no doubt about it.   I can't imagine any other head coach standing as tall and classy as he is at this point in a rough season.   For him to still stand by Grads and talk him up (even though he's been putrid) says alot about his character.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #1 : December 11, 2006, 11:11:47 AM »

He probably does, but the more I see the more I think it will be as a solid backup rather than as a starter. I've supported him to this point, saying that he doesn't deserve to be knocked so much until he gets some experience under his belt. However at this point, he needs to show a little more than he has. He needs to have shown us a little flash of something extra, and that hasn't come.

Unfortunately, I doubt our fulltime starter for next year is even on the roster right now.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #2 : December 11, 2006, 11:08:55 AM »

No injuries.

Grads will start next week.  Gruden is happy with much of his play but he needs to make things happen.  He still think Grads has a future in the NFL.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

« #3 : December 11, 2006, 11:15:46 AM »

He probably does, but the more I see the more I think it will be as a solid backup rather than as a starter. I've supported him to this point, saying that he doesn't deserve to be knocked so much until he gets some experience under his belt. However at this point, he needs to show a little more than he has. He needs to have shown us a little flash of something extra, and that hasn't come.

Unfortunately, I doubt our fulltime starter for next year is even on the roster right now.

Why does he have to be a career backup after struggling as a rookie?  Does he not get the benefit of learning? 

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #4 : December 11, 2006, 11:22:11 AM »

Why does he have to be a career backup after struggling as a rookie?  Does he not get the benefit of learning? 

He doesn't HAVE to be, but I'm starting to feel that while he's got a lot going for him, it just isn't enough.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

« #5 : December 11, 2006, 11:24:09 AM »

Yes, he does deserve the benefit of the doubt for the learning curve, but he has to progress as a quarterback and take steps forward. He seems to be either regressing or staying put at this point. I'll support Grads while he is our starter, but I definitely smell a draft pick signal caller here in Tampa next season.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 11, 2006, 11:26:19 AM »

Chev I agree he needs time, but the reality of the situation is he is a 6th round QB, not a 3rd round QB. At some point you have to say enough is enough. Yes he will hopefully get better with time, unfortunately it appears that he has not elevated his game. Am I done with Grads, no, but at some point you have to say, ok Grads is a 6th round pick and he doesn't have a free reign to play 5 years to show he can't be the starter just because, for the sake of giving him his due...

Its not fair for Grads but its not fair for the team to sit at hope to god a 6th rd QB who has shown little to this point can be the future.

I for one, do not want to see grads continuously starting to get him to hopefully learn, in hopes he can be good one day. Hell, 2 weeks ago Eli Manning was about to be benched and he is a top 5 QB selection with worlds of ability. I'm just saying that we can't give him an eternity to show he can be good. Look at his games he has had and tell me where you see some light here and I'll listen. Fact is there just has not been much elevation in play week in and week out since he has been starting.

Baghead #2

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #7 : December 11, 2006, 11:27:45 AM »

Gruden also said it would be good for Grads to sit and watch someone else play for a while and that he won't hesitate to put in the backup if Grads struggles.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #8 : December 11, 2006, 11:28:16 AM »

Simms/Grads have yet to play 16 games as starters.  I think people are being to tough on the young guys.  IMVHO.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

« #9 : December 11, 2006, 11:29:01 AM »

Chev I agree he needs time, but the reality of the situation is he is a 6th round QB, not a 3rd round QB. At some point you have to say enough is enough. Yes he will hopefully get better with time, unfortunately it appears that he has not elevated his game. Am I done with Grads, no, but at some point you have to say, ok Grads is a 6th round pick and he doesn't have a free reign to play 5 years to show he can't be the starter just because, for the sake of giving him his due...

Its not fair for Grads but its not fair for the team to sit at hope to god a 6th rd QB who has shown little to this point can be the future.

I for one, do not want to see grads continuously starting to get him to hopefully learn, in hopes he can be good one day. Hell, 2 weeks ago Eli Manning was about to be benched and he is a top 5 QB selection with worlds of ability. I'm just saying that we can't give him an eternity to show he can be good. Look at his games he has had and tell me where you see some light here and I'll listen. Fact is there just has not been much elevation in play week in and week out since he has been starting.

Very well said. I completely agree

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

watson

Hall of Famer
« #10 : December 11, 2006, 11:33:31 AM »

When I see Grads I still see a ROOKIE.  Yesterday was his 10th start and he is doing what rookies...much less 6th round draft choices do......a couple of good plays.....more bad plays.....and mistakes.  No way in heck did I expect him to win any games this year, much less 3.  

Below is info on 2 QBs results from yesterday:
QB 1:
Completed 13-of-24 passes for 121 yards

QB 2:
Completed 12-of-25 passes for 78 yards

The first QB was Grads.  Another part was that Grads was sacked and fumbled one time.  

The second was Tom Brady.  Brady was sacked five times, fumbling twice, and was knocked down many more times. It was a full system melt down for New England's offensive line and the team couldn't get any receivers open deep. He was getting hit so much Matt Cassel came in late to prevent any further pounding.

I'm not saying that Grads is on par or even close to Tom Brady.  My point is it is just not him that determines how he performs each week.  

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 11, 2006, 11:36:04 AM »

What a load of crap the PC was... didn't really answer any questions. Never really answered the Mike Alstott question. What a bum.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #12 : December 11, 2006, 11:38:04 AM »

The Bucs have found some depth at the QB spot, and that is a good thing.  I consider a sixth round QB that can be a solid backup to be a steal, myself.  I just haven't seen the flashes from him to warrant going starry eyed over the youngster.  He knows how to steer the ship, but I owuld not want him to be the captain for an entire season. 

Simms, Garcia, draft pick, all of the above...who knows.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #13 : December 11, 2006, 11:39:45 AM »

What a load of crap the PC was... didn't really answer any questions. Never really answered the Mike Alstott question. What a bum.

Alstott has 3 games left with the Buccs.......what purpose does playing him now serve?

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

« #14 : December 11, 2006, 11:40:07 AM »

When I see Grads I still see a ROOKIE.  Yesterday was his 10th start and he is doing what rookies...much less 6th round draft choices do......a couple of good plays.....more bad plays.....and mistakes.  No way in heck did I expect him to win any games this year, much less 3.  

Below is info on 2 QBs results from yesterday:
QB 1:
Completed 13-of-24 passes for 121 yards

QB 2:
Completed 12-of-25 passes for 78 yards

The first QB was Grads.  Another part was that Grads was sacked and fumbled one time.  

The second was Tom Brady.  Brady was sacked five times, fumbling twice, and was knocked down many more times. It was a full system melt down for New England's offensive line and the team couldn't get any receivers open deep. He was getting hit so much Matt Cassel came in late to prevent any further pounding.

I'm not saying that Grads is on par or even close to Tom Brady.  My point is it is just not him that determines how he performs each week.  

Great, Grads' avg game is narrowly Brady's carrer worst....

Don't flame me i'm sure Brady had a worse game at some point in his career, maybe....

Baghead #2
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden's Press Conference « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools