Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is it time to simplify the defensive scheme? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

alldaway

Hall of Famer
: December 11, 2006, 11:01:02 AM

This scheme is one of the easier ones in the NFL. I mean it is complex in coverages but other than that it is pretty simple.  A two year learning curve on defense?  Is that really so bad? I think that is as good as it gets.  BB and the Patriots run a complex defense with different coverages and base formations from 4-3/3-4 to even two man fronts. 

Shag

Pro Bowler

#1 : December 11, 2006, 11:00:22 AM

We just need some pass rush. If we are going to leave Hovan in the stop the run, we need to comensate for his complete lack of pass rush with some serious players.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 11, 2006, 10:56:58 AM

I know the defense is still not the Bucs' biggest problem, but I'm concerned at the effort the team has put into acquiring mid round players to groom only to never see them again. It's often been said that with all the coverage responsibilities, it takes a year or two to be able to get into a game without getting toasted. Is it time for Monte to tone things down and just put the players in more simple positions to be able to make more plays? Other teams can thrown new players into the mix with some good results, but for the Bucs it seems you have to have a PhD. It's frustrating to see the only new players on D are vets with no upside and undrafted free agents. There is no one who can even dream about making a pro bowl in the next 5 years.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 11, 2006, 11:44:58 AM

No, it is time to get some sacks, and some pressure at the first level of defense...

Then it will all come together, and Kiff will be serving MOUNDS of crow...

panchovilla

Rookie

#4 : December 11, 2006, 12:33:04 PM

Defense is fine and not complex. Even Ronde says that all you have to do is play zone, don't let anything get deep and let the linebackers run around and kill people. Just goes to show what a drop off Barrett Rudd is, a big dissappointment as of now.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 11, 2006, 12:37:26 PM

Our Scheme is not going to keep will allen from being abused on a juke by the Falcons full back Justin Griffith.

As the old saying goes....Its the indian, not the arrow....

We need to get some FA help and draft well and I think we will do that, hopefully.

Baghead #2

#6 : December 11, 2006, 03:57:02 PM

Actually I think the BUcs scheme on defense is becoming too simple. They need to start disguising things like Baltimore does. Maybe IM wrong. Maybe all we need is a few new young studs and a good pass rush again

#7 : December 11, 2006, 04:02:29 PM

Just goes to show what a drop off Barrett Rudd is, a big dissappointment as of now.

Yeah, Ruud's not generating any pass rush at all.

#8 : December 11, 2006, 04:16:38 PM

Defense is fine and not complex. Even Ronde says that all you have to do is play zone, don't let anything get deep and let the linebackers run around and kill people. Just goes to show what a drop off Barrett Rudd is, a big dissappointment as of now.

Dude, that is totally misguided.  Ruud is playing well, especially for a second year player.  He's a solid tackler who has the range to go deep in the middle and is good in coverage.  He's just young.  MLB is not my concern.  I'm more concerned about 1. who is Winborn going to be for us? 2. Is Nece the answer?

I'm even more concerned about whether our CBs will be back in shape next year.

Even more concerned about our S situation.  Even more concerned about generating some pass rush.  In fact, I'd say that MLB is quite possibly the most solid position on the defense going forward.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 11, 2006, 04:31:46 PM

Just goes to show what a drop off Barrett Rudd is, a big dissappointment as of now.

Is that his job though?  I mean primarily it is to hit a gap on runs, and to float into coverage on passing downs.  He isn't really in a blitz happy spot here.

BucNGator

Starter

#10 : December 11, 2006, 04:47:32 PM

No, it is time to get some sacks, and some pressure at the first level of defense...

Until the pressure starts comming from the front 4, isn't it smarter to play man-to-man??  The DB's are getting picked apart by even the most mediocre QB's who have all day to find a soft spot in the zone.

I truly though that's why they started Buchannon yesterday.  He's a much better cover corner than Bolden. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 11, 2006, 04:48:47 PM

Until the pressure starts comming from the front 4, isn't it smarter to play man-to-man?? The DB's are getting picked apart by even the most mediocre QB's who have all day to find a soft spot in the zone.

I truly though that's why they started Buchannon yesterday. He's a much better cover corner than Bolden.

The defense is not built to play man to man.  It is that simple.  You cannot readjust the scheme that has been running for years this late into the season.  What good is that going to do?  It would make things worse, methinks.

#12 : December 11, 2006, 04:51:23 PM

Until the pressure starts comming from the front 4, isn't it smarter to play man-to-man??  The DB's are getting picked apart by even the most mediocre QB's who have all day to find a soft spot in the zone.

I truly though that's why they started Buchannon yesterday.  He's a much better cover corner than Bolden. 

Well...the problem when you don't get pressure with the front four is that you need to bring blitzers to get pressure, so the secondary suffers.

But man-to-man vs. zone is a completely separate issue...we are mostly a zone D, though...

#13 : December 11, 2006, 04:55:59 PM

Is that his job though?

No. Which is exactly my point. The cover two must generate pressure to be successful, which we don't. It has absolutely nothing to do with Ruud.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 11, 2006, 07:43:44 PM

Monte DOES mix it up and does NOT keep it that simple.  It is simple scheme in general but there is some complexity to it with the wrinkles Monte adds  Ever since 2002 the Bucs have played a lot more man to man and cover 3 than the conventional cover 2/tampa  2.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Is it time to simplify the defensive scheme? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools